Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

That's 77 or 8 cows each so. Fairly achievable between two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

That’s a nice gig

we’ve a few more, parents still involved, wife has a good job and paying for every acre plus some new infrastructure. For there to be a future here for the next generation (if they want it ) my herd has to stay at the size it’s at.

its worked very well for us uptil now but now it’s just been made a whole lot harder to do it

everyone has there reasons for leasing land and being in derogation. You shouldn’t be so blunt in your understanding as to why

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

I actually do most of the heavy work the wife does all paper work calves but its surprising how much time those two things take if she left me id be finished but i doubt she ever will

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

It's not as profitable as the dairy. Haven't done the figures in detail but clear a few hundred on each. Stay with it as its less labour intensive than more cows. Tbh have no interest in milking anymore than we currently are for lifestyle reasons.

• Advertisement

You own over 2000 acres man you must be one of the biggest land owners in the country tought i was big

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

With respect ….u should run figures …I did and it’s some eye opener but there’s isn’t anything like that out of them ….I transfer calf at 2 weeks account for all milk ,meal hay/straw vetinary labour etc …there’s less work but financially returns aren’t there if even some of them are replaced with dairy ainmals …..you say you’ve no interest in more cows which is fair enough but returns from beef just ain’t there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Spring calving??, What kinda % is the MP. The hitch eye must be wore off the zero grazer with that much ground

I personally know some guys milking over 1000 cows they dont own near the land you own where in the country do u farm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Irresponsible from Teagasc to issue blanket advice based on their own research/demo farms which have free-draining soil, perfect infrastructure, and an endless supply of labour.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Nitrates are nitrates, whether they come from the back end of a cow or they come from a fertiliser bag (E Burgess).

A proposal was put forward in the Water Quality committee (instigated by the minister to put forward ideas for lobbing to hold 250), that the derogation limit move to that required by the EU, but that the limit be made up of the combination of chemical and organic, meaning a farmer could choose to stay at 250 organic nut drop chemical to (say) 190...

I believe the minister "got to" the commissioner before this suggestion could get legs.

We now have Ryan with the narrative that derogation farmers can make up their income loss by supplying AD plants with their excess grass.

They will only have excess if they continue with the higher chemical applications.

You can see why the resistance to dropping the chemical application.

He's bullshitting you. Rents out most of his place

One thing you should add on to the figures (and maybe you did) is the amount of money you lose on selling the calves young.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The moving of dero limits from 250 to 220 and the possible lower in the future will have knock on effects for more than the dairy industry. It will affect the beef and tillage trades hugely on more than just the land front.

Coming at it from the beef farmer side of the house the 3 major knock ons will be access to rented ground, which has be debated into a different stratosphere here and I'm not leaving terra ferme. Followed by potential effects to feedlots and finally extra numbers to the weekly kill for the next few months

I don't have figures, but I would suspect a large number of the contracted feeders would be in dero and close to the limits with the numbers of stock the are turning over, relying on imported feed and exporting of slurry. A pinch to these might be welcome to the beef trade, it will have knock on effects to the farmers who rely on the sale of forward stores through the mart,by reducing the numbers these feedlots can buy and finish.

The next is the beef trade for the coming months. The big question is how many are going to cull to get to 220 and if so how. Is the trade going to be presented with a large number of cows out of the parlour pre drying off, or will dairy farmers feed these cull until January. A controlled fashion will be needed. This will be an issue, as I feel most farmers won't be able to get access to enough ground in a limited supply land rental market thus leading to an offload for cows to reach the 220

Calf and incalf heifer sales have the potential to collapse. It's probably happening as we speak with in calf heifers. The calf issue will be interesting in the spring. A number of dairy farmers who may have a sideline of beef enterprise, be calf to beef, calf to store or calf to weanling, will pull the plug on this and offload calves as soon or drop down a peg on that ladder, so as to keep cow numbers up. What will this do in a market that is already flooded from late February to April. Surely the Dept could look to a simple solution on not counting the Nitrates of all animals under 12 weeks. This could help solve some issues.

On the tillage side, and the talk of Charlie's Chequebook coming out to increase tillage area this will further add to the land rental madness. Couple this with the changes of the past few years on the exports of slurry namely the doubling of volume and diesel costs, this makes it even harder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

MOD: Anyone not happy with daiymann 5's posts would do well to note BP and Mooooo's advice.

Hint:

If you chose to engage with him, that was your choice, as were the consequences.

If you'd prefer not to see his posts, try the "Ignore" function. (I can't vouch for how effective it is.) Tap on the appropriate avatar and then the blue bar with the white head and shoulders icon, to bring up the option.

If the situation continues i.e. the winding up and generalised insults, I might do something tomorrow, but it's great entertainment and it would be a pity to silence such a great method actor.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Minister for artificial fertiliser.

When all will be said and done this Minister will be seen as the minister for merchants not farmers.

That was a great proposal btw and ye knew and had an idea how it could be achieved.

More abuse and use of farmers.

Possibly could be framed better in the media then the minister won't allow farmers to reduce artificial fertiliser usage.

Look hes doing his best the way politican work is the look after the majority where votes will come from if they lose derogation farmers to another party there no great loss cus number is small.Look at the great acres scheme 45000 happy farmers being paid to do sfa there sure votes next election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

He's doing his best to look after merchants and fert importers.

Farmers in derogation started to think outside the box and reduce N usage and become more nitrogen use efficient while still making a living and improving water quality. But this wasn't to be tolerated and stomped down on hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

He never mentioned who is going to build and run these AD plants.

Big dairy farmers like the oned in the north and uk no small guy less than 400 cows will be able to finance it they will get huge grants that the ifa will loby for of courde they will bevavailable to everyone but is a 60 cow farmer going to build a ad plant dont think so big farms will get bigger

You minimise the loss by taking it earlier ff bull calf sold from dairy enterprise to beef at 2 weeks for 50 and beef calves at 150/180…..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Who or what is the regulatory authority on dairy farmers if they have no bps to cut? What is going to keep them in line?

I've answered enough now. Bit of give and take would be welcome

As long as bord bia compliant coop collects your milk ……you don’t have to submit a bps and there is nothing they can do if you don’t …..we’ll bar hound you with letters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

So Will it be the case that the bigger more intensive guys will shirk the bps and carry on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You will still be required to obey the limits. They might not have a mechanism in place for chasing you now, but that doesn't mean they won't in the future. You could ultimately end up in court for violating environmental regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

When you see the minuscule fines been given out to Irish water/quarries etc in court when convicted of pollution of waterways what about it, it's a 10 times cheaper option than paying 400 euro plus a acre for ground, the current price of milk and what is predicted for next year mean, a lot of heavily borrowed units would be as well selling their entitlement and farm away at present numbers, the likelihood of 170kgs for 26 means what's the point in going out and securing ground to remain compliant at 220 when it's only a stay of execution that will cost you a fortune in rental money

Advertisement