Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

SA have an interesting couple of days ahead as Kriel will surely be cited and suspended for our game. That leaves Moodie as the likely 13 against us if he's fit. Phenomenal athlete but he's a back three player. His one pro start at 13 was the warm up against NZ.

He'll have no issue with linespeed but he doesn't have the physicality of Kriel. Ireland could definitely look to expose him defensively.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If World Rugby are, as widely reported, reducing replays and TMO interventions to protect referees, why would they go citing players over incidents the officials have waved off?

Or am I expecting too much in the way of logic?

I'd like to think that they genuinely missed the incident. If they saw it and waved play on, then it's an utter shambles. But after Carley deeming no foul play for the no arms hit on the line last night, I do wonder if there has been an off the record conversation about being very lenient on decisions for the showcase tournament.

The Kriel incident was near identical to Curry the previous night with the absence of any potential mitigation in respect of a dynamic situation. He lined Dempsey up and crunched head on head. I think the level of media attention, comments from Townsend etc. afterwards has to force the hands of the citing commissioner.

If it's deemed acceptable, the process has lost all credibility entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Injury at 13 - move aki to 13 and crowley to 12

That's what I mapped out above in my response above.

But it is very messy with Sexton having to play 80 with a high risk of an injury or asking him to go 80 minutes against SA in hot weather. I'd be very wary of us defensively with Crowley at 12 and Aki at 13. We saw how exposed we were in the 6N when Aki went to 13 with McCloskey alongside him. Spacing and positioning was really poor and led to several line breaks. I'd imagine that Crowley and Aki have barely played alongside each other in training at centre let alone against a top class side in a full test.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Plus I'm not sure Farrell has ever gone for a 6-2 split? It'd be quite the change to start doing it now. And given how relatively settled our 15 and 23 has been, I don't see it happening.

This is a massive RWC game. Not a URC game against the Dragons where you've an injury depleted team and ask someone to cover a position they've never started a professional game in because you've no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Kriel out probably means Moodie in (if he's fit), that will present a whole other set of problems for Ireland. Moodie is a serious prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

You could argue that he'll pull some previously unused variation out against SA to stump them by using a 6-2, but I don't see it. It's an area he's been comfortably consistent on, and everything the coaching team have built are strongly focused on "play your own game, to your own plan" and confidence that that plan is good enough, and adaptable enough, to beat multiple opposition approaches. I think he'll stick to 5-3, and what you'll likely see to take the sting out of that boks blitz is a huge amount of variation in first receiver, and some smart kicking periodically, to try and make them wary of rushing at full tilt - and that game plan needs agility over size.

• Advertisement

He is. Brilliant athlete and big future. But he's also a winger. If he's in the team, I think we'll absolutely be trying to draw him up and get in behind him with a short pass similar to how we've seen Aki break the line a couple of times recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He's a serious prospect but also their third choice 13, though I'm not sure we'll see a citing for Kriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

I think World rugby might cite him if scotland dont, they need to show some consistency..i think the lad from chile will be cited aswell...either that or currys red is recinded...which makes more of a mockery of the officiating...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I just don't see how they can possibly not cite Kriel. There would be absolute uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

Jenny Sexton has a tendency to tackle in an upright position in the hope of creating a maul, and could create a head on head collision

"He's a winger" is the same thing they said about Rieko Ioane, Ma'a Nonu, Tana Umaga, Joe Marchant, Gaël Fickou...

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

No real need to reinvent the wheel against SA. Possibly go with Henderson/ Ryan with McCarthy bench. O'Mahony, Doris and Beirne with VDF bench.

Bench selection will be critical.

as much as I like AKI starting. Would there be a benefit for him coming on after 45-50 mins?

Vdf bench against SA makes no sense to me.

He'll be keen to get one over on his countrymen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Where is this VDF to the bench nonsense coming from? He's one of our best players.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

There's no way VDF benches against SA if fully fit. Nailed on starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

back 5 for SA will be Beirne, Ryan, POM, VDF, Doris.

Yes and no. Fickou was a centre from the off. Ioane was mixing between wing and centre (primarily a centre at NPC level) when he first came through. Nonu was an outside centre who played a few times on the wing.

But if Moodie starts and we get as much success as teams got out of Ioane when NZ first moved him to 13, we're in business. There were major issues around his defending for the first year.

Wingers can obviously successfully move into centre, but I'm not sure one exists who was 100% at the races on their second (or third) ever start in the position. NZ was his first game there since schools rugby I believe.

Aurélien Rougerie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Gordon D’Arcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There is no way Earls was more to blame for that try than Sexton was. He didn't get on the wrong side of his man, he was going for to collect the ball on the tramlines but it was a poorly executed kick, partially due to a bounce that brought it back in field, but also because the space Sexton kicked it into wasn't there. Earls could have done nothing except maybe slow down and let the Fiji player gather the ball and then tackle him, but if that was Earls's fault, then it was also Sexton's fault for over running even when he could see that Earls was not gonna get to the kick in time, and Sexton was then the man who should have covered the counter attack, but he completely missed that.

Again, no big deal, the game was well and truly won, but that was on Sexton, not Earls.

Which, again, is fine, it was his first play in 6 months, he made a mistake. No need to blame that on Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ioane played centre at school but his first few seasons of pro rugby were as a winger. May have played a bit of centre at NPC level after a couple of seasons but he was primarily a winger. Don't where Nonu played at school but he was winger for his first first few seasons of NPC, SR and tests. Don't think it was till after Umaga left NZ that he became a full time midfielder.

• Advertisement

Perhaps. Australia is a lot closer to NZ than Ireland so you probably got to see more of those guys.

Looking at the online stats though, Ioane played exclusively at 13 for Auckland in his first two seasons in the NPC. His first season for the Blues (2016), all 5 of his starts were on the wing. His second season for the Blues, 7 starts on the wing, 6 starts in the centre.

Nonu started at centre but swapped around a bit after his first couple of seasons. I don't think he ever started a game on the wing for NZ (according to ESPN, anyway).

Advertisement