Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

And you're basing this on? You have no idea what my experience of rugby is but make a completely baseless statement like that.

Her comments last night would suggest otherwise.

Thanks for acknowledging it wasn't aimed at me.

The reason I assumed (incorrectly) that it was is that some people seem to take any criticism of female commentators or pundits as sexist in nature, regardless of how accurate they are - as evidenced by another poster's post.

The leap you suggest I am making isn't such a leap in such circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

I think the Welsh hooker did make a legitimate attempt to wrap. He arm is out to the side, but his head is on the wrong side, and his arm gets knocked away by the leading arm of the Fijian. The real offence is the Welsh lock. He just rams across with his arm tucked in, basically just a shoulder charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It was worse in previous tournaments. They used to only get 4 days between some games. The tournament has been extended a week this time so each team gets a week off during the pool stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The 2 weeks we get off after SA will be fantastic... the scheduling gods were looking down on us with that one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Definitely better than previous years, just pointed out there are more T1 nations getting longer rest periods than T2 nations.

Again, that was always the case. Now with the extra week it's not nearly as bad as it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah: when I saw the Chilean players really tire in the last 20 minutes against Japan, stopping up 'cos of cramp et al I worried about their ability to see out the tournament, their vulnerability to injury. They have a week between matches which should let them stay competitive for longer; you really saw those 4 day turnarounds on the pitch in the past, by the Pool Stage's end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I dunn, look, fair play for holding your hands up, but imo these posts are contradictory.

If you're going to ask Hurrache not to make the completely baseless statement that Fiona Hayes knows a lot more about the intricacies of rugby than you, maybe don't throw out the completely basesless statement assuming that another poster was accusing you of sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It definitely hasn't been the best advert in some respects for France capacity to organise and host events so far. Between the stadium issues and transport it's not great. And then there are the smaller issues that can easily be fixed like butchering every single anthem in the tournament.

All in all a bit odd so far but hopefully it gets better from now on.

As for some of the English media having a go at French organisation. It's the height of hypocrisy given the absolute shambles they oversaw at Wembley for the Euro 2020 final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Tonga v Ireland could be relatively close depending on if Ireland rotate for this one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I suppose the thinking is that they'll be done by the pool stages while the top teams have to recover for the knockouts. Bit of a self-realising assumption though

And my nephew is a Scouser.. and some of his mates were at that CL final, so he'd heard a lot of the stories first hand!! Thats why my brother is taking no chances and rebooked a hotel thats literally a stones throw from the stadium...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As a matter of interest how long before kick off do people bit normally get to the stadium at? I'm usually there 2 hours before whenever I go to the Velodrome and the stadium fills up pretty quickly. If you're not used to it, it can be tricky finding the right entrance.

Not sure what the exact issues have been in this WC so far, but these stadiums host matches in front of sell ut crowds every other week and access is never an issue. Last year the Champions Cup (rugby) final was on the same day as the champions League (soccer) final and there were zero issues in Marseille AFAIK while the SDF was a complete disaster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah Samoa fairly comprehensively battered Tonga last month. Even with a weakened side I'd expect it to be relatively straightforward.

I am rarely ever in a stadium more than 30 min before kickoff. And it is almost never a problem.

It wasn’t that poster I was referring to (historically) and it wasn’t baseless as it has happened previously.

This is of course ignoring the fact that I said Alan Quinlan (a male) is the worst pundit/ex-player/commentator of course.

Hayes last night thought a carded prop could come back into play during their 10 minute carding window. That’s really an astonishing lack of understanding of the rules yet some posters think we can’t say anything about that as she’s female. Do you really think I or other poster’s wouldn’t call that out if it was a male commentator who said it? Of course I and others would have commented on it - no matter what the sex of the person who said it.

It would be sexist to give her a pass for it, but of course those who cry sexism the most can’t see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Would expect Ireland's 2nd team to beat Tonga, so would expect them to rotate with SA up next the following week. I understand the need to get the campaign off to a good start, so didnt do it against Romania.

The pacific island teams are always hard games that can take its toll on players and cause injuries, better to rest some of the top guys while you can.

Very demoralizing for those teams having everything against them, but I guess they are expected to just be happy they were invited to the party.

What style should Scotland be playing? What are Scotland's strengths and weaknesses that Finns not playing too?

All sounds great but if Scotland took on a more conservative game plan do you think the result would have been different?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Well this is deeply troubling….

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-rugby-fan-allegedly-abducted-and-gang-raped-in-bordeaux/a1721616268.html

Irish rugby fan allegedly abducted and gang raped in Bordeaux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think that is proof it is an organisational issue. For soccer you have teams of staff and security used to games week in and week out. For one off tournaments a lot of the staff will be completely different. Could be different security protocols too slowing things down if unfamiliar. The fans are also less familiar with the stadium so signage and helpers are key

I think issues with trains have exacerbated the issue. People will likely be travelling from further away than a weekly soccer game so delays to travel mean more people arriving late.

ps - two hours before KO would be earlier than 90% of game goers I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

Doesn't make it any easier to listen to her though does it?

France held Euro 2016, a 24 team tournament with a much larger traveling fanbase, in basically the same stadiums without AFAIK any of the same issues reported this weekend. There is no excuse for them not to be able to organise an event with fewer games 7 years later to the same standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I went to SDF for a France v ABs game a few years ago and it was shambolic. They created bottlenecks where there was no need for them. Only hadvhalf the gates open for people to enter. At one point the crush was so bad I had to lift my wife over the barrier and climb over myself. Missed KO because we were in a disorganised queue for 45 minutes. Will never go to a match there again.

Scotland has similar weaknesses as a rugby playing nation to Ireland. They don't have enough large skilful forwards to hold their own against top teams and Russell just doesn't seem to know when to switch to a territory kicking game. When we played them in the six nations he should have been pinning us back all throughout the second half but instead they tried to run the ball. Perfect example of his impatience and a similar set of circumstances that foundered Argentina's opening game against England.

Scotland has skillful forwards, they don't have a pack that can bully opposition but they should have a deeper playbook or be better at executing it than they generally are. Ireland do have a pack that can compete at the top level of the sport, but even when we didn't we were more consistent than Scotland because our attack and defence are more organised. Scotland have never had that consistency because they don't have the organisation, and whilst Russell gets a lot out of his backs, he just doesn't get as much from his pack and that's a deficit of his game.

Russell actually needs to go back and develop the play by numbers aspect of his game so that Scotland can settle into more patters to relieve pressure when the pack are on the back foot and also keep Scotland playing in the right areas of the park primarily, and not using all their sophisticated plays just to get into the 22 before breaking down.

Having lived in Paris for some time I’d say a lot of this is on the French laissez faire attitude (not saying this as an anti-French thing btw, I love France!). They can be ridiculously relaxed at the best of times, put that under pressure and the system can break down very quickly.

I was in Paris last October for a couple of weeks and for the life of me couldn’t see how they’ll be ready for the Olympics next year. I think the problems you see at the RWC will be greatly exacerbated with an Olympics. Saint Denis is a nightmare for single event occasions, throw an Olympics onto that and it’s a recipe for disaster. That said, I’ll still be going…..

i personally always want to be in the stadium and seated well in advance of a game but am realistic to know most aren’t like this. That said, I do think if you rock up to a stadium you’re not familiar with 30 mins before kick off and expect everything to be grand you’re taking your chances and can’t really blame anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

World Rugby were back to their old tricks of screwing the minnows last night. That is 100% a try except for the two illegal contacts he takes before trying to ground the ball. Then Wales infringe multiple times on their own line in the 2nd half preventing another Fiji try without no consequence. The ball goes down the far end and the Fijian flanker is binned for a single offence. It really smacked of the its nice to have you here but you're not really wanted that has been the attitude towards the minor teams for years.

In truth, its been really poor fare up to now. France/NZ was low quality, Argentina were a mess vs England, Scotland had nothing to offer vs SA and the rest were once sided mismatches bar Wales/Fiji where the minnow got screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I agree. Just responding to comment why football games go ahead without these issues - bad organisation of course and not taking into accounting impact of different set of fans.

That said, I do think if you rock up to a stadium you’re not familiar with 30 mins before kick off and expect everything to be grand you’re taking your chances and can’t really blame anyone.

I've done this for rugby matches - Euro, URC, 6N and RWC - across Ireland/UK/France/Japan for 10 years and never once had a problem til Bordeaux.

Stadiums are **** places to be.

• Advertisement

Good points

Possibly Russell should of sat deeper during phase in the hope of getting above or around the blitz.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement