Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

You're a deluded armchair supporter, who stated repeatedly that we play hoofball under Kenny, and are shocked that this team didn't beat France and the Netherlands. In other words, you're an idiot.

I haven't posted in support of Kenny in particular, my argument has been that there's no one that can make this better, and you're stupid if you think otherwise. The worst Irish team in history beating one of the best teams in the world, utterly utterly clueless.

Suggestions for improvement have been Damien Duff, Roy Keane, and Lee Carsely because he's going well with the English under 21s 😂.

And you can keep reminiscing about that Trapp era, which you repeatedly state was a highlight in Irish football.

People who sit at home and only watch the "big games" don't realise how utterly depressing it was travelling to the Aviva to watch us play 10 men behind the ball vs the likes of Georgia. But it's great because it's a result business and we scraped a 1 nil lead with a scrappy goal, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Can anyone make it worse? Is the bar that low that this win ratio is acceptable?

All the next manager has to do when he comes in is remain in contention for a playoff until the last two games and he will be a success.

Do you really think that the win ratio cannot be improved on? That we should be able to beat Seriba, Luxembourg, Armenia, Greece or Azerbaijan on a regular basis? They are the games SK has failed in. Not the games versus France or Netherlands.

I was all for Stephen taking over the job and having a cut at it but it's not worked at this stage. People will say he has blooded a lot of player. Well yeah. Anyother manager would have had to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Bishop Brennan's incredulity at being kicked up the arse works for his fanbase too

... and more worryingly for Kenny himself:

Tony O' D: "Conceding again after half time that trend continues"

S. Kenny: "56th Minute - you know that kinda is - it's 11 minutes"

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

He's like that in every interview and that's completely fine if we are getting results. He comes across to me as fairly dim tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’m a deluded armchair supporter who was at the game last night, whilst you were at home posting on boards during the match watching presumably from your armchair. You couldn’t make this up.

I’m not even going to respond to the rest of your nonsense. You call me an idiot yet I never once mentioned anything about expectations of beating France or the Netherlands. So in addition to being totally clueless, you’re also a liar. And resorting to calling someone an idiot because you don’t agree with their opinion is the first sign someone has lost any credibility in any sort of debate.

So I’m going to take the win in this case, which ironically enough is something Stephen Kenny hasn’t managed to do in 70% of his games as Ireland manager hence the reason for our little over and back debate. A debate which you’ve clearly lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cms88

So who you suggest Premier League fanboy? Maybe put yourself forward when a LOI job comes up seeing as you've all the answers.

Your first message to me was calling me stupid because I said style of play is important in football, for getting the crowd behind the team and generating an atmosphere.

Then you went on the wax lyrical about the Trapp era. You must have forgotten all the "moans and groans" when we launched our 200th long ball of the night during that period.

A grown man looking for "wins" on a message board, is Boards a result business for you too? 😂😂

To be fair, the bar seemingly is that low.

I really don’t understand how people are harping on about how things were before and how bad it was, a time when we were always there or thereabouts in qualification campaigns. Things were never this bad. The football might not have been pretty but who actually cared? We never had a Ronaldo, a Bale or a Messi in our squads and we always punched above our weight but that was part of the attraction to our national side. We couldn’t beat the big teams at their own game so we beat them at ours. What’s wrong with that? 3 points is a 3 points no matter what way you slice it. I don’t go to matches to be entertained, I go to matches to see the team compete and get results. Is that not better than what’s happening now? Seeing the team pass the ball around amongst themselves at the back and not be competitive at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Of course there are people that can make this team better. To say otherwise makes you 'deluded' as well? Managers with tactical, nous, motivational skills -something Kenny has lacked.

What did you make of Kenny throwing Duffy up front in desperation? After all his talk of philsophy and the fans going on about Kennyball?

Throwing Duffy up front was not even done correctly, the right ball was not feed into him to make it effective.

The fact you use the term 'hoofball' implies there is only two ways of playing -

1) Passing for the sake of it sideways

OR

2) Like a glorified rugby team

--

The fact is in such scenarios neither are effective. It has to be done with a purpose a plan, regardless of style.

Direct quick ball would really suit this irish team, and I don't mean hoofing it for the sake of it - it breeds energy and fire in the bellies. The Irish midfield should just be told to do the basics and get the ball to the fast lads Ogbene. Obafemi etc as efficiently as possible - on the counter

You malign the likes of Jack Charlton implying it was just 'kick and rush' / 'hoofball' - but it was not as simple as that.

Getting the ball into the corners making the defenders turn was crucial as pressure was applied. Teams hated playing against it.

Jack Charlton did Gegenpressing before Gegenpressing was even a trendy phrase. In fact Charton was a bit bemused when teh Danish team won Euro 1992 because he could see they copied his 'pressing'.

Danish Euro 1992 tactics -

The bit where I feel Kenny has gone wrong big style is that the players stand off too much and do not put the players under pressure/gegenpressing. Ironically Kenny got Ireland doing it a bit v the Dutch last night early on - but only half of it. Just the high line. Then he reverted to type giving the Dutch time on the ball, ending with the panicky Duffy up front call.

--

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Did you think of this sitting at home during the match last night in your armchair?

I had to loan out my ticket because I've covid if you must know. Dammit, that erases over 20 years of footballing reality!

Anyway, when the next guy comes in and gets us playing ultra negative football, and we still don't qualify (2 campaigns in 20 years apparently means negative football works) try not to be as shocked as you are that we lost to the ranked 7th team in world.

Oh, how very convenient.

It says it all about you as a person that you’re so readily acceptant of consistent failure. Not only that, but you’re thrilled to bits about it.

I've never once mentioned Jack Charlton. It was a novel and effective approach at the time. And that time was over 30 years ago. He also had an excellent team.

But for the 100th time of asking, who are these managers with tactical nous that will turn all this around?

Kenny's lack of experience has been lamented by you, so that rules out an Irish manager. Roy Keane is been floated several times, which is just a stupid suggestion. Lee Carsely coaches under 21s, when things inevitably go wrong, lack of experience will be blamed.

So who? I've said it repeatedly, I'm not particularly a Kenny fan, even though Motivator keeps lying and saying I am. But I also think people don't see the reality in terms of the calamity that is the FAI, and the players we have to work with.

So who is there that we can afford that will turn this around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bartybull

Our last moderately successful football team was 2002. Over 20 years of football misery. 88, 90 , 94 2002 lifted the nation like no other sporting achievements.

In that time Irish Rugby went from wooden spoon contenders to World number 1, Grand slams and Heineken Cups

The standard of GAA was never better.

I don't buy into the argument that our small population can't compete with the best. Something is seriously wrong with the underage structures in Football.

Just look at the importantance being emphasised by certain schools on Leinster/Munster Senior Cups in Rugby, Harty Cup, Fitzgibbon Cup Sigerson Cups in GAA. Top notch facilities with young fellas training to near professional standards because of the huge importance being emphasised by schools/colleges in these competitions.

SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES are where talented individuals become elites.

Football is just a collection of parents and volunteers running teams and a halfassed attempt at a few academies by the FAI to nurture talent

Serious lack of investment all round in football in what is this country's and most countries most popular sport.

I come from a working class community in Cork City. One of the local football teams were playing on a pitch with no dressing rooms and a pitch sloped at a 45 degree angle. The school team had just a well meaning football fan trying to get a team together but no real competition to play in. Something has to change to get back to the good old days.

Kenny has us playing a good brand of football. Results have been bellow par for our level of players so if he better candidate becomes available we need change here too

Is this another "win" that your grown self can add to your collection? 🤣

You said "we may not have always qualified but we were there or there abouts", that sounds like accepting failure.

Very nasty posting style for what is simply a discussion about football.

Post edited by Curse These Metal Hands on

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

We need Big Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The only game I would fault Kenny for was the one against Greece. We just didn't perform. Yet there is no magic wand to guarantee results and at least Kenny is trying to get them playing football and is true to his philosophy. We have a poor squad with some players getting it hard to get a game in the lower leagues. Kenny will probably let go soon but it will be interesting when the new ' Saviour ' comes in to take us to the level that people believe these players should be at. My father's favourite saying was ' you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear '. We are where we are not imo because of Kenny but because we have a very poor squad to pick from. They might and should improve with time and games but I won't be trying to hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If they are planning to get rid of him, they should do it now, it'll give whoever takes over a few extra games to settle into the job, get to know the players better, implement his style etc., no real benefit to holding on to Kenny if they are letting him go anyways.

• Advertisement

You keep forgetting to sign off your posts with:

”sent from my armchair”

I think you have anger issues, did you have a bet on this campaign or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I asked this here after the Luxembourg game. What other country , who would class themselves in Irish bracket ranking wise or even lower, would take Kenny as a manager? None . What club outside LOI would take him none. So why should he stay in the highest in Irish football? Or be even given 3 more games.

If he had dignity he should walk away as its now becoming very damaging to status of the team.

Don’t cry when someone argues back at you when you call them an idiot for disagreeing with your, as it happens totally incorrect, opinion.

You’re as childish as anyone I’ve seen on here. Spitting the dummy out because someone doesn’t agree with your nonsense. Do yourself a favour, get up out of the armchair and go for a bit of fresh air. Get yourself back in the real world.

The very silly posters that think the Trapp era was successful (playing hideous football and still losing every game in an international competition for the first time in Irish history) will be shocked to learn that even back then we had much better players, especially defensively, and than that approach will simply not work with this team either. But these are the same people that are flabbergasted that we lost to France and the Netherlands so who knows.

It's objectively idiotic to say that we play hoofball in your words "no different to that of Trapp and MON" under Kenny. Anyone that knows even the very basics of football know that that is simply a stupid thing to say. And the fact that you're doubling down and saying I'm wrong to point out that Kenny's style is in fact different to those managers is just weird. Again, before you accuse me, I'm not a big Kenny fan, but you clearly don't know a lot about football.

Definitely anger issues, and definitely had money on qualification.

Its the only logical explanation that someone can be so irate after losing to the Netherlands. It's just a game of football man.

You think I’d back a serial loser like Stephen Kenny to achieve anything? And you had the neck to call me an “idiot”.

You’re just rambling at this stage, it’s very boring now. Enjoy your life of mediocrity and disappointment.

Idiot was probably a harsh word to describe someone that tried to make the argument that this team plays the same style as Trapp and MON teams. Maybe clueless is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

For one who pretends to be knowlegeable you omit the fact that under Trappatoni Ireland lost in a group that contained the two finalists - Spain and Italy in Euro 2012. And a very capable Croatia side. It was the core of a Spanish side which dominated world and European football. Also that Italian side had triumphed in World Cup 2006.

It was the first time Ireland were in such a difficult group since Euro 88 - when Holland and Russia were in Ireland's group. You also omit how close Trapattoni's side was to qualifying for the World Cup 2010 as well. The infamous Henry handball etc. Plus Ireland were really praised for the football they played that day

It seems you are an extremely disingenuous poster who is only trying to project an narrative with lies of omission and half truths. All done to try and raise Stephen Kenny as a manager in comparison I assume?

No doubt your retort will be Ireland had better players - true. But do you honestly think Kenny is a better manager?

A good manager gets the most out of the players available, whether that be - tactical and/or motivational. Make them better than the sum of their parts. Can you hand on heart say Kenny has done either with this group of players?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Hang on, your giving Trapp a pass for the difficult opposition in the group but not Kenny for this group? Have you also forgot that our whole remit then was to be difficult to beat and hard to break down? We conceded early in every game, conceded 9 goals in 3 games, and scored 1 from a set piece. It was a managerial implosion of the highest order and on the world stage.

The France game would have taken us to penalties but for Henry, and the players famously abandoned Trapps approach that night to play actual football. We learned that night that he was holding that team back! The very opposite of getting them to play better than the sum of their parts. Referencing the Italian team as 2006 in the context of 2012 is a bit generous considering we should have beaten them and gained automatic qualification in 2010. Again, overly conservative tactics cost us. As it did in the first leg of the play off against a shambolic French team.

Its completely contradictory to call Trapps reign a success.

You presume wrong, I'm not a League of Ireland fan, or even a Kenny fan if you've bothered to read my posts, you also ignored my earlier valid question of who is the man that will raise the performances of this team?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement