Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

There may be PO roles that meet your description, but from my civil service career, which concluded only recently, I have to say that I don't recognise the picture you paint. It would be misleading to have people joining the civil service at PO level believe that it's some sort of sinecure. It's not, and while the stresses and pressures involved may be different in nature from those found in other sectors, I can assure you they are real. The most stressful time for me personally was after I was promoted to PO, and I was already a well-experienced civil servant at that stage. I had to get professional help to sort myself out and thankfully went on after that to serve another couple of decades in senior roles.

PS I have also known people who joined at senior level and couldn't hack it, so again it's not necessarily plain sailing. If you are in a role that involves responsibility for matters close to the hearts of our political masters, be prepared for all that managing those relationships involves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 juggernaut2

EchoIndia I agree with this wholeheartedly. Might be some backwater areas of the civil service left but most POs work very hard at a stressful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Any update on what number PAS have got to yet for batch 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

My Department currently has an internal PO competition. Just wondering did any of you successful in the open comp get specific 1 to1 interview training. Used someone years ago who was excellent but they have moved on. Tried one or two others but weren't great. For context I'm an experienced civil servant and AP and meet the competencies (I think) but hate talking about myself and default to we instead of I etc. Really welcome any recommendations by DM or on here. Thanks

Sorry no one replied part time punk, but good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I've heard that The Communications Clinic are meant to be good but are definitely quite pricey. My advice would be to do as many mock interviews as you can arrange with friends, colleagues of friends with a bit of experience, etc. Definitely not easy to do if you find it inherently difficult to talk about yourself, but that problem is a lot more common than you think, and practice and repetition can give you little workarounds for it.

I've talked to someone in the second batch in 50s after interview who is waiting for an offer to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 night_owl_2022

Last time I checked with PAS they had offered up to the mid-teen/ of batch 2… so it is moving….

Any update from anyone of here and what number PAS are at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 zeus

Did anyone apply to Coimisiún na Meán?

Not me.

I have my interview tomorrow. Fingers crossed 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Best of luck with it. Roughly what was your OOM after the aptitude tests?

The application was a CV and cover letter.

Good luck Zeus

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭inspiron6000

It was a standard enough interview. There will be another shortlisting after these interviews, so hopefully I made it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dotski_w_

Good luck! Do you recall where you were after round 1? I was mid 600s, so I suspect won't be reached if theyre not in 300s at least now, but we'll see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 night_owl_2022

To answer the last question, Candidates on the order of merit from Batch 2 are still waiting on assignments. Unless they pick up the pace on assigning these people, it’s hard to envisage that they will call Batch 3 to interview… but you never know!

If anyone does get called for Batch 3 interviews please let us know because that would suggest that PAS predict exhausting batch 2.

Since I’m sitting around the middle of the order of merit of Batch 2 I am crossing my fingers to get an assignment before this competition panel expires in March 2024!

Anyone know what order of merit number PAS are on now?

No I haven’t heard where they are at unfortunately, I’m towards the end of the panel for batch 2 so hoping they get to me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Slievereagh

They have reached number 30 on the order of merit for batch two I have heard. Also I have been told a lot of PO wait until after the pay rise on 1 Oct to retire as it can add a few grand to their lump sum

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Winterspring

Anyone know how many were panelled in batch 2? Anyone further down willing to share their rough position?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Winterspring

I think they got to just over 400 when calling forward batch 2.

I’m low 40s. I think I read on a previous post that batch 2 was less than 50 on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

For Batch 2, I think they called candidates numbered 244-402

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SL15

Hi Zeus, have you heard when the results are coming out for the Coimisiún na Meán interviews. I had mine the other week but nothing as yet.

I got my email late yesterday. I made it through to the second interview. Best of luck 🍀

• Advertisement

Congrats!

Was this via the PO comp or another competition you went in for?

Advertisement