Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It doesn't matter a jot how Trap or Mon played. That's in the past now. It's not relevant. The only thing really relevant is comparing SK as a manager to Trap or Mon. Which is silly because both were hugely successful at a meaningful level whereas he hasn't.

Where we go from here is the question. If we are prepared to stick with SK then we have to be prepared for more of the same abject failure. Being out of the running for qualification halfway thru a group. Even earlier when you lose to the likes of Luxembourg. To call his reign anything but a failure is just strange. Hailing the fact that our players are now stringing together passes in non threatening areas with no end product is also strange. That's the basic a championship footballers should be doing.

What do we want? Do we want a manager to come in and play to our strengths and give us a fighting chance going into the last few games of the group or do we want to stay with the "better" style of football but never be within an arses roar of a playoff even. Whatever we think of Kenny's style the level of defending has been shocking. That's something that shouldn't be accepted and it screams of a lack of work from Kenny and his coaching staff. Consistently conceding from outside the box. Duffy caught out twice last night. James McClean a League 2 player still selected as our main left sided wide player.

We don't have to be a long ball team. But we 100 percent need to be a direct team who put defenders on the back foot by using the obvious pace that Ebolese, Obafemi and Ogbene clearly have.

We are not hard to beat under Kenny. That's a major issue when we evidently can't outscore even sub par teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Kind of weird how much of the discussion on the Irish soccer team is around Kenny, and how little is on the way Irish football at grassroots is run.

We dont generate high quality world class footballers.

Last night for example, we are starting a division 4 player (or League 2 or whatever).

When we played Holland in 2001, the famous occasion where we scraped a win to finish second in our group, every starting player was a premier league regular; 4 or 5 of them with top clubs. And most of the subs too- like Lee Carsley, outstanding footballer wasnt good enough for that team.

So this cult of Kenny, to be honest almost as weird as the defenders of Kenny are the Kenny-haters; the lads on RTE spending half an hour saying why Kenny HAS TO GO - well done Richie, but so what we'll still be crap.

Kind of weird how much of the discussion on the Irish soccer team is around Kenny, and how little is on the way Irish football at grassroots is run.

We dont generate high quality world class footballers.

Last night for example, we are starting a division 4 player (or League 2 or whatever).

When we played Holland in 2001, the famous occasion where we scraped a win to finish second in our group, every starting player was a premier league regular; 4 or 5 of them with top clubs. And most of the subs too- like Lee Carsley, outstanding footballer wasnt good enough for that team.

So this cult of Kenny, to be honest almost as weird as the defenders of Kenny are the Kenny-haters; the lads on RTE spending half an hour saying why Kenny HAS TO GO - well done Richie, but so what we'll still be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But Richie Sadlier supporter Kenny for ages tried his best to back him.

You are spot on about the grassroots, but the bit I don't get how it was assumed that putting Kenny in charge of the senior team is going to improve Irish football? Surely if you want to improve grassroots culture you leave Kenny with an underage job. Development of players is his thing not tournament results at senior level.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Did that happen in all of the groups Trap was in with us? Because it's happened to Stephen in the 3 groups now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Boooourns

We all know the top class players are not there but we all know what's clear is that Kenny is not getting the best out of what he has.

Still some decent players there with most having played premier League football but there's no identity with the side apart of trying to play some ball on the ground.

It hasn't worked with him, it's time to move on.

On a separate note it's great to see this thread alive with debate. Shows how many of us are banned or can't get into the soccer thread. That place is like the North Korea for threads the way it's policed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The attitude to football in this country is a problem. Personally, I think the GAA cause us a lot of problems and not because they are doing anything wrong. I'll give an example, I saw an underage team get hockeyed at the weekend at the top level in the DDSL. Coaches and parents all said "they aren't fit enough, training will be hard this week."

Yeah that's grand. Get them fit and it'll help a bit. But they'll just become better able to chase the ball and opposition. The problem is they couldn't keep the ball when they had it. Technique-wise, they weren't good enough. Movement-wise, they weren't good enough.

And that's where I think the GAA are part of their problem. They promote getting the ball forward, doing it quickly, being physical because that works for their games. For some reason, a lot of coaches and parents involved in soccer subscribe to all that for soccer. It's also hard for an 8-10 year old kid to get that message one night when they're training with the GAA and then hear something entirely different when they go to soccer training.

We might get lucky with generations of good players as we had under Jack and Mick but many clubs aren't developing players properly in this country.

I agree 100% limited technical teams should set up as hard to beat, if you don't concede many goals there is always a chance.

In Mick McCarthy's last qualifying campaign he only conceded 5 goals. and lost one game.

There were only four teams with better defensive records than Ireland in the whole of Euro 2020 qualifying - Turkey (3), Belgium (3) , Italy (4), Ukraine (4) - and they all qualified automatically for the Euro 2020.

• Advertisement

So the approach of the last 20 years then. Anyway, who is the man to whip Ireland into shape and get them playing above their ability?

You do realise that if we fill the team with defensively minded player it will result in what you earlier called "coward football" ie not playing the ball forward on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

You mean the approach of the last 20 years that made us competitive and able to hold our own against bigger teams, picking up results against the World Cup winners home and away being the two standout results in a long catalogue of big game performances?

Or are you happy to continue as we are now? A joke of a team managed by statistically the worst manager we’ve had in god knows how long? Not competitive in the slightest even against teams ranked well below us?

Still angry I see.

You mean the approach that got us qualified only twice in over 20 years despite having a much better players than what we have now, and that got us beaten by every decent team we met (bar the Italian B team) in the actual competitions? Keep striving for mediocrity.

Remember Trapps refusal to play Wes Holohan lest we actually pass the ball on along the pitch. Such fond memories.

Funny you say that a one stay a mod started engaging with me recently (as a regular poster would) about Kenny etc

And says I -

'I better be careful because I know it does not take much to get banned from the forum if you go against a certain narrative'

As ages ago to my surprise - I received a short ban because I used the word 'deluded' referring to posters who were blinding supporting Kenny with religious fervour, in what I thought was a reasoned post taken as a whole. I was told in no uncertain terms not use such a word in future.

The amount of times I had to edit/re-read and look up synonyms to post in that Ireland thread since as gotten silly, because if they don't like your take on things - they only need a slight excuse. Then you are gone quicker than Stephen Kenny can quote his LOI record!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

The Moroccans must have been raging when their defensive hoofball hot them to a world cup semi final with very limited players apart from 2 or 3 good ones

But is is more sensible than Kenny's vision for the following reasons - defensive football does not necessarily mean cowardice if done correctly - especially with set pieces or on the counter it shows intelligence.

Was Mourinho a 'coward' when his inter side beat Barcelona in 2010?

1) Kenny does not have the players to play in his own idealised style

2) A more defensively minded team always has a chance in soccer - especially if a team perfects their defensive and attacking set pieces - plus the fact Kenny had to throw Duffy up front the last day said a lot about what his approach should have been. In other words play to the teams strengths be direct, high energy, physical, set pieces. But Kenny

Which manager would I like to see next? Seems an obvious choice to me

High Profile - will help attracting players eligible for Ireland

International experience as a player and a manager

Managed at a high club level - knows what it takes with players of Ireland's level as well

Practical - not wedded to a philosophy, knows his football

Available - no compensation package needed

Irish - would likely take the job

The answer is Roy Keane.

Funny enough the GAA especially football has changed - plenty of teams sit back now move the ball side to side - keep ball. The only problem is the GAA lads forget that you have to know when to counter at some stage. Jim McGuinness did this well when he won the AI with Donegal in 2012.

McGunness also managed a soccer team in America North Carolina Independence

He is gone back to manage Donegal now, which is a pity. I think you could have done worse than appoint him as Irish manager, he always looks for an edge based on the players he has - regardless of what code he manages in.

Is this a satire post?

I mean, there is simply no comparison between that Inter Milan team and this Ireland team, why are you even using them as an example? It's a nonsensical exercise. BTW, you used the term coward when describing players passing side to side, not me.

Great, I look forward to Roy alienating half the team when we have a string of bad results before ultimately resigning.

I coach myself with GAA and then my son plays soccer and GAA, so I'd be reasonably well placed to form a view on this.

Firstly, a lot of people talk about soccer or GAA underage coaches as if they are paid professionals.

They are in practice parents who give up their time to provide a free service to other peoples kids. So it annoys me when I see people whingeing about them.

Having said that, I'd agree with some of what you said - particularly an awful lot of kids are playing GAA one week and soccer the next. Is that a bad thing; I dont know - probably is if you want to produce elite level footballers; but I dont think its a bad thing generally. Its obviously a lot easier to become an elite level GAA player. And you are right, GAA much more about physicality and athleticism. However if you have 15 kids on a GAA team, and all 15 are also in the same soccer squad - the lad who is the best soccer player will also probably be the best gaa player.

Second, I would guess at higher level DDSL the coaches know what they are doing to an extent. And who knows, they may well be right that the kids arent fit enough. An awful lot of kids are sitting on their holes all day playing Xbox or looking at phones, eating crisps and massive bottles of monster or whatever. I'd say the coach could well be right. What division DDSL incidentally?

You didn't obviously listen to it you? Mourinho is not an attacking coach, but a pragmatic one. He can play defensive football and counter attacking football within that as well.

Your false premise is that all defensive football is itself negative. I was not making a player by player comparison with Ireland and Inter Milan but tactical point on how teams can set up defensively and get results.

If done correctly and with a plan it works superbly - beating teams of much higher technical levels. It has even happened at International level

Denmark and Euro 92 - winners

Greece Euro 04 - winners

-

And I also remember a match which proves how a well coached side beat the best where they had no right to on paper.

Ireland beat Germany 1-0 in a 2015 qualifier

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/812273/MatchReport/International-European-Championship-2014-2015-Ireland-Germany

Switerland beat Spain 1-0 in a group game in the 2010 world cup. I believe it was the only game Spain (the eventual winners) lost.

Switerland won with 27% possession

All of which fly in the face of your simplistic narrative - attacking football =good. Defensive football = bad.

You have already dismissed Keane before he starts based on nothing but your own biases about the man. And what you hope might happen in some far fetched scenario so you can laugh and talk Kenny up again.

But he is in my opinion a far more qualified manager than Stephen Kenny, and the most realistic candidate for the job - given the FAI's financial state.

Your whole goal seems to be an example of the title of this thread - a blind defence of Kenny complete with excuses. And the disparaging of past Irish managers or potential realistic future choices. In order to frame Kenny in a better light.

• Advertisement

On a completely different tack; Chris Hughton seems to me like a good choice if we would take it.

You still need good players to compete in a defensive style, why do you frequently ignore this? You started harping on about Big Jack earlier as evidence of how what we can achieve, blindly ignoring the fact that he had an excellent team and it was over 30 years ago. The game has moved on massively but I don't think you're even aware of that, or even understand it.

I have no ill feelings towards Roy Keane, I loved him as a player and he's a good pundit. But he's combative and has been pretty nasty in the past, Walters for example. Let's face it, he isn't a good coach, and your suggestion that he'll attract top foreign born talent to declare for us is fairytale stuff.

Dissmissed him based on nothing 🙄

You keep saying I've defended Kenny, I haven't really. I don't particular care if he stays or goes because nothing will change.

But keep wheeling out the videos of great teams playing defensive football 👍 looking forward to ceding possession to lesser ranked opposition like the glory days.

So do we have a shortlist in mind? The names aren't rolling off the tongue to be fair.

1. Lee Carsley - Would Lee be able to convince some Irish eligible English youngster he would know from his time managing in the underage structures over there?
    2. Roy Keane - Probably there by default. I don't think he'd be a 3 tournament kind of guy. But he'd definitely get a lift out of them for the next nations cup.

After those two the list really does get worrying. There are plenty of unemployed foreign managers who might well be interested in the challenge but wages would more than likely be a huge problem. Obviously nobody from the LOI is anywhere near the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Yes, the approach that got us qualified for two major tournaments.

Yes Spain, Croatia & Italy hammered us. That was a disaster of a campaign, no arguments there. Being beaten comprehensively by the arguably the best international team to kick a ball there’s no shame in that. We were very unlucky against Croatia in the first game losing 3-1 to two preventable goals (can’t blame trap for individual errors by our most experienced players) and a blatant foul on our left back for their second goal. We bowed out tamely against Italy when the tournament was over for us a full week previously. But obviously you’re choosing to omit the fact that going into the tournament we were one of the most in form teams in Europe at the time. That’s a fact.

You can come back with as many arguments as you want, but you simply can’t deny the facts about Stephen Kenny. I can also counter your argument about Trap and Wes Hoolahan by asking why did Kenny leave a defender who was bought by a premier league club for €23m last week left on the bench for 90 minutes when Duffy was having a nightmare? Just one example on a long list of management failures from last night.

He seems to have a handy gig with Ghana - easy group

At least we will know what we would get with Hughton a structured team, hard to break down. This Irish side badly needs structure and discipline - less of the dreamland talk that seems to revolve around Stephen Kenny.

To be honest I was half laughing while feeling sorry for Kenny in that last interview - the line where I cracked was when he said - we have to hope for a play off in march now.....

As for next manager would prefer Keane myself for the simple reason a few Irish eligible players might play for him instead of England etc.

But whoever it is should be an old head who can instil discipline structure, an organiser a planner. No more idealists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I was originally on the give him a chance side, I was happy for a while there that we were playing better football and thought the results would inevitably follow.

Obviously this has not happened. He looks increasingly out of his depth at international level. He's been given enough time, he's simply not good enough.

Unfortunately I think serious damage has been done to our international prospects during his tenure. And it's not because we had expected results like losing to France, Holland, Portugal etc. It's been the numerous awful results against teams lower in the rankings that has truly damaged our seeding/ranking level and that could take years to fix.

We used to be the 2nd or 3rd ranked team in a qualifying group, we'd dutifully get results against the teams below us in the group and try to get a draw or win against the top ranked teams to give us a chance of qualifying. Recently though we have failed to get the results against the lower teams, we've consistently underperformed in the nations leagues, getting relegated down through the ranks which means now we are going to get drawn in groups with 2 excellent teams ahead of us and very little chance of qualifying.

This is the product of Kenny's tenure, it's going to damage us for the next generation even though we actualy have a semi-decent squad of players and some promising players coming through.

Time to get rid of him before more dmaage is done.

I'm so far removed from it = Roy or Robbie?

My own view = you'd be paying big bucks for very little managerial experience with either.

If I was Carsley I would not take it - his reputation is at an all time high now. It would be madness.

Roy Keane - would love the Irish job that much is clear. And he should be given it IMO. He served his apprenticeship as MON's assistant, and managed at club level etc Best qualified candidate by miles.

Hughton would have been a decent option with lots of experience. I see Slaven Bilic recently gone to Saudi pro league so that's him ruled out.

I agree. Make us hard to beat. No reason why we can't mix it up a little. It doesn't have to be possession retention just for the sake of it. Direct ball into dangerous areas and press will be our most likely way to success. We are never to going to breakdown a team by passing through them.

• Advertisement

And.... we used to have lots of top level players, and now we dont.

TBH - I think the performance of the national team exactly mirrors the quality of the players we have. I dont think Trappatoni or Mick McMacarthy would do any better.

Having said that, its defo time for him to go now. Once the crowd has turned, then move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement