Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sorry Roy Keane not Robbie Keane. Robbie Keane has only started in his managerial career over in Israel at the moment believe it or not.

I don't think either would be asking for 'big bucks' both have plenty of money they would love the job - one (Roy) would love to get by into management (has not got the right club that interests him so far)

The other (Robbie) used to always turn up for Ireland at every game no matter what - I remember he said he did not learn much at school but made sure to learn Amhrán na bhFiann so he knew it for matches when he was older.

Coaching role or assistant role for Robbie maybe?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

There are quality issues with the squad I agree. However we seem to have some decent attacking prospects, obviously we have Ferguson coming through soon. Hopefully he's finally the consistent goalscorer we need (haven't had one since Robbie Keane I reckon). I also thought that Ogbene has been a real positive spark going forward.

I think if the defence was better coached and organised, along with the aforementioned attacking options being weill utilised, that there is the basis of a decent squad that could acheive much better results than we have and get back up to where we were in terms of rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

By that logic you can blame last night's defeat on Shane Duffy for not stepping up with the defensive line 🙄 how many individual errors have cost Kenny in games? The answer is lots. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. No shame in losing to top teams, but here we are sacking Kenny for failure to compete against the top teams. Greece was disappointing, but I don't think we should be beating them anyway, that's how bad we are. There is no coherence in your posts.

It was the manner of the defeats in Euro 2012, we were drilled to be impossible to break down and then a flood of soft goals were created. It was a failure. Trapp was a failure.

How is Kenny not removing Duffy in one game akin to Trapp ignoring Holohan for years? Another stupid comparison.

But look, I think ultimately we will revert to conservative football, not qualify, then the merry go round will start again. Irish football is broken, has been been for decades.

Unless a golden generation comes through, and a coach who doesn't stifle them with negative Irish football culture, then we are doomed for many years.

You raise a good point about the Saudi league, it makes the FAI's task even harder as any left field managers available on a free would be likely to go there instead of the likes of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I've done the coaching myself so apologies if it came across as a whinge against people volunteering their time. It's a tough gig.

And it's not necessarily a bad thing kids playing GAA and soccer. Not by a long shot if that's what the kids want to do. But it does bring problems because to play those games well requires very different skills and mindsets.

There's a strong argument the kids could be fitter and it'd help. No doubt. But they couldn't keep the ball, the didn't move cohesively as a team to create options for the lad in possession. They are the most important skills to improve at that age in my opinion. You can always get fitter at any age. You won't develop a first touch and movement if you don't have it by your teens.

It was Premier in one of the younger DDSL age groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Carsley would be stone mad to go near it. The question has to be asked though. You know really we need someone in the Sean Dyche mold. Not this season mind but certainly during his tenure at Burnley. Now that'll drive lads on here mad but we need to start playing to our strengths again and not try to be something we simply are not. Tight and compact defensively with pace to break. Really good teams go direct at times too and there is nothing wrong with it when done properly.

Just on the squad we have the players available to us to ensure we shouldn't be out of every groups after the first few games. The below are decent players most of who have or are operating at the top level in England against some of the best players in the world.

Bazunu

Collins

O'Shea

Omabadele

Doherty

Egan

Cullen

Ogbene

Obafemi

Idah

The above have all been available to Kenny. We simply should not be out of the groups after 3 games. That was the case in this group when we had the shocker in Athens. Against Luxembourg a few years ago it was also the case. The group was lost.

Now with Ferguson about to burst onto the scene too we do have players capable of getting to the business end of the groups and still having a hope of qualifying.

His system of play has utterly failed and he seems clueless about how to change it. I saw Keith Andrews last night having to nearly convince him to make changes in the last few minutes. SK was starting into space. Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Chris Hughton being mooted, dear God, he'd make Trapp's Ireland look like a Bielsa team.

I doubt Lee Carsley would go anywhere near the job, I wonder if he's ever even been back to Ireland since he played for us, or was ever in Ireland before he played for us?

He's doing great now for the English FA, he'd be mad to go near the Ireland job.

I'm curious to see what SK's successor will do with this group of players, it's the worst in living memory.

Who would you go for? Would you keep SK?

We are poor in midfield. But with the defense we have a attacking options we have Luxembourg, Aremina, Azerbaijan and even Serbia and Greece should be beatable.

With the group of players we have we should be competitive in Nations Leagues and Euro Qualifiers. But we are not. Because we aren't using them to their strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fair enough - at younger ages of DDSL, fitness shouldnt come it into it.

The thing is - there is no point in ranting and raving at kids for not being good/skilful enough; there is a level that they are skilful enough, it sounds like the problem is they are in too high a league.

• Advertisement

Yeah it drives me mad when fellas say 'hoofball' that is when direct football is done incorrectly. Jack Charlton was one for the 'pressure' but key to his idea was getting the ball in the corners, unsettling defenders, making the defenders turn.

Jayus, even John Aldridge brought into into it acting as 'the runner' chasing down defenders. Even though Aldridge was a top class striker playing for Liverpool in completely different role

But it was a key part of Jack's game plan. Nowadays you would call Aldridge's role as a defensive pressing forward. It was thought out planned and systematic. Contrary to popular believe Charlton did not like play rushed, it had to be thought out.

He also blamed himself during a game against one of those Baltic state where he went against his own main principles of gameplan when Ireland were 2-0 up he said don't get any yellow cards. But it meant under that instruction Ireland lost the fierce pressing they used to do. When before he was positive in his instruction.

To me Kenny did not seem to have a gameplan of his own that worked - he had 3 years to develop and hone it - but it ended up all over the shop. Nothing consistent about it at all.

What was/is Kenny's plan? This is the fella that was going on about playing football the 'right way' but throws Duffy a 31 year old 6'5 centre back up front!

I've no idea what kind of manager we could employ nowadays. We're broke and the Ireland job really doesn't have much going for it.

Is our defense great? O'Shea is having a poor season, Collins dropped last season for Wolves and was on the bench already for Brentford, Doherty can't get a game to save his life, Duffy was a laughing stock at Celtic and Fulham, our goalkeeper ships goals for fun at Southampton...

But yes I'd rather keep SK for the rest of his life than hire Chris Houghton.

That may well be true.

Ranting and raving at kids for anything is 100% wrong. They're kids. Let them enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

I see Damien duff is now being thrust forward as the next league of Ireland messiah

When will the madness stop

You are being more than a bit generous there.

Idah played a handful of games for Norwich. Ogbene has he played half an hour yet of prem football? And Omobamidele likewise.

Really actually - only Collins has been playing regular premier league over the past even 18 months. Bazunu was dropped. Cullen has only just come up.

Our team is made up of Championship players and one or two prem players, and then a handful of prem squad players that are not first 11 for their club.

Well that won't happen. The FAI need to qualify for a tournament somehow. They'll get in a trusted hand next.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Nonsense. Most from that list aren’t even starting for their clubs and some of those clubs are Championship

So we shouldn't be beating Luxembourg? Armenia twice in a groups and Azerbaijan twice in a group? Probably add Greece to that soon enough too.

So when Kenny does not have PL standard players - the argument is the players are not there.

The defenders you mention Collins. Doherty. O'Shea are all PL standard. It is up to the manager i(n this case Kenny) to mould them in a unit. Plus you left out Egan because he is starting.

There are plenty of players in international football who do not play regularly for their clubs but do well intentionally - NI, Wales, Scotland all comparable type of players. Some of those are much lesser quality than the ROI lads. Others get moves to other clubs based on their international performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Give it to Roy, he’s not everyone’s cuppa. But he’s a winner. Winning mentality, played and managed at the highest / high level.

This BS of getting someone like Kenny in was never going to work. Rolling the dice is one thing but betting the lot on a 100/1 shot like him is bananas.

one of the great signs of a good manager is a person who can get good or reasonable results from limited resources.

Kenny hasn’t done that. Why ? Doesn’t matter he just hasn’t.

Keane is no guarantee but he has a better pedigree then Kenny.

Keane got Sunderland promoted. And has top level experience. Relationships with most of the players.

Roy has weaknesses, but not nearly as many as Kenny.

• Advertisement

I mean he was part of the utter toxic mess that was the MONROY era, I wouldn't let him anywhere near it after that. I don't think people are remembering how truly awful we were under them.

So......when have we been good in the past 20 years?

or even not 'truly awful'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Tony Pulis could be worth a shot.

The names being thrown about raises a point not often discussed - we dont seem to produce succesful football managers. From the Charlton and McCarthy eras - that is to say players that have played in a World Cup for Ireland, i.e. when we were succesful - McCarthy and Hughton are the only ones to have a sustained career as a manager and that has nearly entirely been in the championship. I think his relegated Sunderland team had the second lowest ever points total.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Roddy Collins. With an Amazon backed fly on the wall documentary aswell. For the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Sure we were only brilliant under Trapp. We even played really good in one of the legs of the play off against the really bad French team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

And they were English.

Who are the best managers ever to actually come from the Republic of Ireland? David O'Leary? Johnny Giles? That's not much, is it?

Patrick O'Connell, Frank O'Farrell...

It is slim pickings to be fair.

• Advertisement

That was a great documentary that, think it is still on youtube. Poor Roddy was on the verge of breakdown when he had to let lads go from Monaghan as the club was in dire straits financially.

I think they missed a trick doing the same with Stephen Kenny, jayus I would love to see the team talks. How much money would it have brought in for the FAI ? Might have made up for non qualification of tournaments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement