Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Based off the latest newsletter it looks like the existing signage is correct for tunnel northbound.

Left hand lane for town and East Cork, right hand lane for Dublin.

There could potentially be a lane merge available after the Link D turnoff to the M8 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Tomorrow evening for the new tunnel to m8n to open. I'd nearly put money on cars staying in right lane from tunnel who try cut to left to go east will now end up heading towards Glanmire

If the final design is to have the right hand lane M8 North only then the huge tailbacks at peak times will continue, with town and East Cork left lane only.

It's an 80÷/20÷ split from what I can see on the traffic cams. Seems a crazy decision (if it's the final design).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A totally mad allocation of road space. With the volume of traffic in the direction of the N25 and N8 compared to the volume in the direction of the M8 squeezing all the N25 and N8 into one lane on the N40 beggars believe.

Why can't access to the M8 northbound be a slip off the N40 allowing both N40 lanes accommodate N25 eastbound traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

In effect, it is a slip, it’s just the advance signage on the tunnel entrance doesn’t make this clear. Coming from the tunnel, the two tunnel lanes fan out into four:

1. N8 City (not yet fully open)
    2. N25 Little Island
    3. N25 East
    4. M8 North

To do what you propose, only the "Get in lane" advance sign at the south portal of the tunnel needs to change, so that drivers for N25 Rosslare end up in the same tunnel-lane as those for M8, and then split again, north of the tunnel, into their correct lanes..

One problem is the proximity of the Mahon Point on-ramp to the tunnel portal which creates mayhem as joining traffic needs to get to the second lane in a short distance. But that problem has been around a long time, and hasn’t been caused by the new interchange.

• Advertisement

That's not what the photo in today's update shows, it clearly shows the right hand lane from the tunnel being for the M8 only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Ah, I didn’t see that... I was going by the original drawings, and it’s sometimes hard to see the exact lanes.

To solve the problem of the right lane being underused, you could change the sign on approach to the tunnel to this:

The difference is that N25 traffic is asked to use the right lane, not the left.

Once through the tunnel, a new lane opens to the left. I would have re-lined the road to make it appear to be a lane opening at right, and changed the gantry here to look like this:

Basically, Little Island traffic finds itself in the new left lane (they should have be in the previous left lane), along with the Cork traffic (in the final plan, that lane will split again into "Cork" and "Little Island"). The Waterford traffic that was in the rightmost lane bears left to avoid going to Dublin, and Dublin traffic, which was in the rightmost lane, “exits right”.

Nobody has to dash across traffic. Either stay where you are, or move one lane left, and the two tunnel lanes are better balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That's not my reading of it.

If you look at the video, at 0:38 it shows you need to branch right to go to Dublin. That's branching right FROM the Rosslare lane that it's sharing through the tunnel.

The image on the newsletter makes it look like the blue M8 sign is only over the right hand lane, I think that's just the angle that the photo is taken from. My guess is they'll repaint the lines to line that up better.

From the picture it says that the right hand lane will close, which does give the impression that only left lane would be used for n25/little island. Where that lane goes under the existing flyover is needed for the n25w to m8n movement, but surely there's space for 2 lanes from tunnel to head to n25e/little island

In the days of the old roundabout there were four lanes under the flyover, fitting in three, one for N25>M8 and two N40>N25 shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The lane that will close will need to close for the N25W to M8N movement to be built - and presumably the old roundabout on that tide to be tarred etc.

I still hope both lanes coming out of the tunnel will be N25E, I think they will or the slip road would not be two lanes. But we haven't seen this confirmed or denyed anywhere yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

Good, they'll learn a lesson and won't be doing it again then!

Post edited by confidentjosh on

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Wonder should they try a temporary partition there (flexi bollards) back through the tunnel, if we see the same level of lane jumping we do at the moment confined to the space between the tunnel exit and M8N exit there's going to be chaos.

I actually think the slip road to glanmore/tivoli for the tunnel is key here as if that is completed properly they could use the additional wider area to facilitate the two lanes flowing to the N25E connections as below? Should leave sufficient space for the remaining works to be completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yesterday evening was quite the interesting test.

There was a crash eastbound just before the Mahon junction (likely someone forgot how to merge). This crash wasn't cleared until rush hour was over, at about 1815 or 1830 IIRC. Very little traffic was coming onto the N40E from Mahon at that stage, so when the crash was cleared there was no traffic merging at Mahon. N40E traffic was held up right back to the Kinsale Road roundabout.

Dunkettle performed flawlessly when the accident was cleared, the line of traffic cleared very quickly. It proves what we suspected, that the problem is now merging at the Mahon junction joining the N40E, or rather poor merging.

Hopefully things will improve if/when the lane layout at Dunkettle changes with completion. But it did prove something - that the removal of all the lights has solved the problem.... its just that there is an additional problem where Mahon joins the N40E, and thats not easy to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

Would a much longer merging lane from the Mahon exit heading east towards the tunnel help matters in this regard I wonder?

There is a turn off just before the tunnel for oversized vehicles which allows them to be re-routed back west so perhaps a third lane could be added between the Mahon junction and this turn off perhaps?

Those orange barrier yokes might do the job by stopping folks pulling straight out into traffic and force them to merge properly towards the end of the merging lane.

An extension to the Mahon slip road towards the tunnel is already approved and works should begin next year

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Leatra

Is that not the westbound offramp you're thinking of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Cones on tunnel exit are set up as follows:

Lane 1: City or N25 East

Lane 2: N25 or new M8 slip road.

Interesting to see if this materialises in road markings and revised signage overnight.

Well I was referring to the other side of the MP junction heading east towards the tunnel.

Looking at the feeds , the cones are set up in such a way that if you are in the righthand lane exiting the tunnel and don't exit right onto link D , you are able to continue straight a short distance before the cones taper out forcing you into the middle lane . Why this change wasn't executed at the weekend when traffic volumes are quieter is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Have you got a link to that? The only project I saw in relation to the Mahon junction is the improvement of the N40W exit at Mahon - not the N40E entrance from Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Looks like the new Link D has opened overnight all right. Iit doesn’t seem to have its final alignment as you exit the tunnel because the turn-in is a bit sudden and narrow. Hopefully that will be very temporary.

Literally just witnessed a collision on the cameras from vehicles obviously not expecting to have to merge after the new slip, was a bus, 2 vans and few cars, lot of swerving last second to avoid anything

Edit: and another...car in left lane out of tunnel for some reason moves to right lane, thought needed go Dublin road but went past slip then swerved straight back in, but other car there.

Edit 2: and now a car has come to a full stop, reversed back to make the new slip.

Where did you see this?

The only planning that was granted that I am aware of is for the modification of the slip on the Jacobs island side.

Nearly got wiped out just now going to work , Land rover over pulled along side me just as we reached the Link D exit and discovered he had no choice but to go back into my lane just beyond the exit. How he didn't wipe me out i don't know. No signage warning drivers that right hand lane is for Dublin M8 only.

• Advertisement

Advertisement