Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some of the comments on this thread have the sense of “vultures glorying over the near dead corpse of a once proud lion”

Taking out all emotion out of the decision -

Most logical option is to Leave SK in role until the end of the campaign - then assess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But what is there to assess?

The last three years is assessment enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Whatever you think about Kenny etc, but posters here actively willing the team to lose so they can get a dig in is what is most strange.

• Advertisement

Ah stop, you were gutted when we scored last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kenny's in game management is nowhere near the level needed he just didn't know how to change a game while it's happening.

Scotland and Steve Clarke is a good example of what they should be looking for a very respected coach who was never really a big name club manager.

I think the need to stay away from trying to land some kind of big name or ex Irish player and just go for a solid hand experienced coach/manager who is used to working with players of Championship and bottom of the Preimer League level.

A Chris Wilder or someone like that, I say Wilder as he is out of a job and would proabably be within the FAI's financial bracket which will play a major factor in who replaces Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah come on that has echoes of one of the Kenny interviews about critics 'coming out of the woodwork' when he was looking for sympathy during of his poor run - no wins in his eleven games etc.

The way you are talking you would swear fellas are out picketing his gaff. You have to admit have the Kenny stuff was/is comical. For 550k per year I might add.

Some of which even funnier than one of his predecessors who did not get a 10th of the backing as he did -

I think the mistake Staunton made he did not go on about the 24 players he blooded.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

it says it all when you realise Staunton was more coherent than Kenny.

I think you were gutted for different reasons. You want Kenny to a martyr. Weird.

I was delighted when we scored and thought we were going to come in the second half and really go after them. I should have known better. Kenny isn't a man for the dressing room. He has constantly made teams come out a play worse in the second half.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats the vibe. A solid manager who will organise us. Not someone with tika taka notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Joe Kinnear moved to England at eight years old, he was a product of English football.

Brian Kerr failed as Ireland manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Small countries like Ireland can have occasional success. Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Norway and Iceland are other examples. Scotland are having a bit of a moment now after long years in the wilderness. Luxembourg might be emerging as a minnow on the way up. The playing populations are too small to provide consistent qualification, which bigger countries like England France and Spain can usually rely on. But even Italy failed to qualify for tournaments in recent times.

The only result so far which could have been expected to be different was versus Greece. We are both around the same ranking, but it was an away game. People expecting Ireland to finish first or second in a group with Portugal and Serbia, or a group with France and Holland are not being realistic.

Brendan Rodgers is not a product of the Republic, neither are Martin O'Neill or Neil Lennon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The end was bad, they had to go, however and Martin and Roy got us to a Euros and out of our group into the last 16 in that competition.

Post edited by Strumms on

Kinnear born in Dublin proud Irishman

Kerr - won BOTH under 16 and under 18 Euros - was known worldwide for those feats, would it ever be done again for Ireland? International senior manager of not one but two countries - bit of stretch to call him a 'failed manager'?

Only lost 1 game in the qualifiers for World Cup 2006 with Ireland - best win ratio of any Irish manager in history.

Beat Lithuania,, Estonia and San Marino during his tenure with the Faroes as well. And drew with Northern Ireland. Bear in mind that the Faroes had part time players! Success is all relative.

You accuse me of half truths and being selective with the details but then fail to mention the disgraceful draws in that World Cup qualifying campaign, and uninspiring performances against the minnows in the group. Look at the team he had at his disposal too. We finished fourth in the group 🙄

But as you no doubt are will aware it was not by much.

There were some mistakes made, but I think the 'fans' done Kerr. It was proven subsequently that Kerr should have at at least been given another crack at it. There was 3 points between 1st and 4th.

And that sole game Ireland lost was against France. That is really impressive way not to qualify IMO.

I believe Kerr's style would have suited tournament football proper- but we will never know now.

Kenny on the other other hand... he just would never have the style to suit international tournament football.

An impressive way to not qualify. That's a new one. We will never know because he blew it. I guess you could call blowing a 2 - 0 lead against Israel impressive.

I seem to remember some attack minded players speaking out about Kerr's glorious style too that produced so many draws.

I get that you don't like Kenny, but let's not rewrite history here. Kerr was notorious for taking his foot off the gas in games. Cost us more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CaptainOReilly

Don’t think anyone has mentioned Alan Curbishly or Paul Lambert as potential managers yet? Curbishly has been out of management a while so might not be a good choice. But Lambert has been free the last few years and would surely take the job? I also see Phil Brown is now available too so plenty of free agents available with plenty of experience.

• Advertisement

Kinnear might well be a proud Irishman but he spent most of his formative years in England and was a product of their football environment. He had a London accent, not a Dublin one, and that's how he was thought of in England, he was thought of as one of them.

Kerr failed with the senior team. Qualification is the only metric you're judged on with the senior team. He had the Robbie Keane/Damien/Duff/Shay Given/Richard Dunne/Steve Finnan/John O'Shea/Andy Reid generation at its peak, and he still had Roy Keane for the World Cup qualifiers in 04/05. That team should have been qualifying for both those tournaments.

I was at all the home qualifiers under Kerr. The performances in the big games were awful, and the results were not good enough. He had eight qualifiers over the 03-05 period against our major qualification opponents and won none. Performances at home to Albania who were a minnow then and away to Cyprus were awful. The performances in the two crucial final games against Switzerland in 03 and 05 were pitiful. He papered this over with wins on friendlies but you don't judge success on friendlies. It's a myth that he was hard done by when he was sacked. He failed with one of our best ever generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hmm.. not sure about the 'once proud lion' bit!

Like most people I'd have been wishing Kenny good luck when he took over and looking forward to seeing him progress a younger batch of talent that he was familiar with. He's been a bit unlucky with events and so on.

If we were still in the running at the end of any of these qualifiers but not quite making it, I think he would still get the benefit of the doubt. But the reality is that we've been holed below the waterline early days and hoping for miracles well before the closing stages.

Being good with the media is also part of the job whether that's good or bad. Combine the above with Kenny's less than convincing interviews and he just seems out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

yeah i dont see much use in getting rid of him now. costs the fai 150k or something, why bother? let him take the last 3 games then put him out of his misery. save the money for a new manager.

Kenny now has got three free matches, he can do what he likes tactically, cap who he wants - zero pressure.

Using his vast expertise and keen eye for a player, tactical genius, plus incredible motivational skills - maybe now we will see the real Stephen Kenny, and a real Stephen Kenny team?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

i doubt it. his in game management and inability to adapt to other teams changes have killed him. cant see free games changing something as big as that. it is what it is. it'll all be over in 3 months time so we may aswell just hang on

I doubt you'd know either way, considering you thought Brian Kerr played great football and "failed impressively."

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Roy Keane is the fan favourite in this thread. He's the one to turn things around based on, well, reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We should beat Greece in Dublin, although they only lost by 1-0 in Paris to a French penalty. It would be a disaster if we do not beat Gibraltar. I cannot see anything but a Dutch win in the other game.

Anyone with a slight bit of knowledge of football would have predicted the results we got so far, and the bookies would have done so as well. With the exception I mentioned already, that a draw in Greece could have been achieved.

"Greece v Ireland Odds

The oddsmakers make Greece 21/20 favourites for this match. Ireland can be gotten at 14/5 while the draw is priced up at 2/1. 13 Jun 2023"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement