Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

That moment gave me my biggest Lower Decks belly laugh ever. Loud enough to wake the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe no that was a brilliant episode. Actually they both were but I preferred the second episode better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

The Lost Starship: A Star Trek Fan Production

From The Neutral Zone

Directed by Vic Mignogna and also plays a Klingon.

Two short for character development, didn't like the captain in it.

Released yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Had a bit of an unplanned TOS movie marathon this weekend (well II to VI) and rounding it off with Generations now.

But God that battle scene with the BoP is stupid!! Even if we take the notion that Geordi or Beverly wouldn't do a full scan on the visor after Soren's apparent fascination with it, even if we assume that the foreign transmission wouldn't have been detected, we've already seen many times before that shield frequencies are rotated randomly anytime they are penetrated (eg: wayyy back in Best of Both Worlds, or when the Odyessy encounters the Jem Hadar).

So we're meant to believe that the first thing they DIDN'T do was rotate the frequencies? The BoP would have gotten its first shot yes, but after that it would have been game over for the Klingons... But nope, instead the Enterprise sits there taking hit after hit while they debate??

I know, I know.. They wanted rid of the -D for the movies, but it's still - even after all these years - ridiculous how they did it!

Plus as the end of Picard S3 proved, it is/was still the ship primarily associated with TNG and the ones most of the fans wanted to see back. The -E was a good ship for the DS9 Dominion War era (even though it never featured in it), but it wasn't the -D.

Anyway, Picard is fantasising about the family he never had here, so back to the movie 😁

Also, why does Picard have some weird Victorian era notion of his ideal family life?

Victorian era stuff was Janeway's thing (or Data and his Sherlock Holmes phase) 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

They did rotate didn't they but Geordi was looking at the new frequency each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The battle was a little silly but I was much more a fan of the E so fine with the replacement and PIC 3 only proved that gratuitous nostalgia makes sht TV for me.

Oh you're right.. Still convenient. I remember Data (or maybe it was Wesley or Geordi) talking about designing a chip to auto rotate frequencies during BOBW.

But as I said too, the bridge crew are as bad. Just having a chat about plasma coils while the BoP takes pot shots at them.

Best part of the film was the first 10 minutes really. Kirk deserved a better send off too.

You have to come up wihth a plan somehow. At least they didn't go to the magic meeting room in the middle of a battle, I'm pretty sure that happened in an early TNG episode.

How about, launch everything a Galaxy class starship has onto that little BoP?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

They did shoot it without much effect because of the shields hence the forcing them to drop their shields.

EDIT: Also out of universe they had to destroy it with a single torpedo so theZy could reuse the effects shot from STVI.

A Galaxy should be able to overwhelm a single BoP (no matter a K'vort or B'Rel) even with sheilds offline. That's my point they fired like a single phaser volley then stopped to have a meeting.

That Klingon ship would not have lasted the length of time it took to come up with the coil trick

I don't think they did stop firing they just didn't show it on screen because a Klingon reports the shields are holding well after that first shot plus main power on the Enterprise had taken hits so phasers might not have been at full power. Bigger isn't always better, there's a reason there aren't any battleships any more,* smaller more agile ships that can pack enough of a punch while being able to avoid being hit are more useful.

*Effective ship mounted railguns could turn that around because they might negate the manueverability advanatage and ships that can take a pounding and still hang in the fight will be needed.

Against a older BoP that argument falls down. It just never made sense, in-universe. I get the budget called for the resuing of the ST:6 explosion but there's just no way that a small D12 could take the Enterprise D, even without sheilds

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's obsolete, plasma coil issue aside, or are you forgetting all those Mirandas knocking around in DS9 which were designed before TOS. Timeline wise the brand new out of the shipyard USS Miranda could show up in SNW.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When were Mirandas mentioned as being pre TOS ?

The Reliant's registry is on a status board of ships being repaired/maintained behind a commodore in the TOS season 1 episode Court Martial.

I might be wrong about the new Miranda showing up because registries were supposed to be sequential back then (but Discovery) unless it's an IJNTakao and IJN Atago situation where the lead ship in the class isn't the fist one commissioned.

It's a D12/B'rel size ship designed for hit and run group attacks. It's never been a match for any capital ship 1vs1

The Enterprise crew probably thought the exact same thing but take away shields and most ships in Star Trek can't take any punishment without something like the plot ablative armour of the Defiant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

I agree it does come across kinda silly. Basically a dreadnaught versus a scout vessel, it shouldn't even be a contest. To play devils advocate though, this was a pre-Doninion war era Enterprise. Armed to the teeth, sure, but ablative armour? Nope. Shields down and a few well placed licks to the vulnerable nacelles with any energy weapon, and who knows....

The editing certainly didn't help though. It was PAINFULLY obvious that the crew were wasting time while being pummeled. Had the Duras sisters got 2 or 3 other ships with them, and then decloaking to join in the fun, it'd have looked a lot better. The ship would have been properly outgunned at that point. There's no excusing the lethargic crew scenes though.

I think the Riker from the episode Genesis would nearly have done better...

• Advertisement

There's a slight problem with the dreadnaught comparison, ships in Star Trek (outside of the JJverse) don't typically have secondary batteries of smaller guns to deal with fast moving ships and a torpedo is a torpedo no matter the size of the ship that fired it. And shields in general throw a spanner into the works on that front because we've seen shuttles and runabouts survive hits from the main energy weapons of much bigger ships.

But a few more shots of an actual battle wouldn't have hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah maybe a Capital ship is more appropriate. I'm not sure secondary batteries were needed in-universe though, the Galaxy class had 12 phaser banks, with multiple beams available from each bank simultaneously. 2 photon tubes too, each capable of a 5 torpedo spread at the same time, with each torpedo independently targetable too....it was a monster of a ship for its era, whether going up against a Romulan Warbird or a Runabout. It should have been able to pulverize the antiquated BoP in Generations.

That said, we've also seen what smaller ships can do in the right hands against full on battleships....

A capital ship is still a big ship, battlecruiser and above which, excluding aircraft carriers with no guns, still have secondary batteries. But on the subject of the Galaxy class the phasers do take a while to fire giving smaller ships a chance to evade which is why they were usually seen trading heavy blows with other big ships in those lovely DS9 scenes.

If the Regent's flagship had secondary batteries those hull runs would have been much more difficult to pull off.

Maybe it s best to think of that old Bird of Prey as an anti-hero ship which pulled off a great feat despite the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

You were on the ball with the Seven of Nine 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Doesn't work with the USA date format mm-dd-yyyy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Good thing my post used text I wrote out then.

Enterprise has 360 degree phaser sighting with several rapid fire phaser strips across the secondary hull.

Also there are examples of the main strips in rapid fire mode. Think the tech soecs said that it used the full strip for max charge but can fire faster

It has several phaser blind spots including directly behind* and approaching the deflector if the saucer is seperated. I don't think the main bank rapid-fire has ever been shown to be able to target something else, at least not at a significantly different angle.

*Venture type variants excepted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Been listening to a TOS episode review podcast called Enterprise Incidents after seeing a recommendation somewhere (perhaps here?).

I think it's well worth a listen, the over-the-top enthusiasm is endearing once you approach it in the right frame of mind.

A completely different take on the subject matter compared to the irreverence of, say, The Greatest Generation.

Their supplemental episode (24/25) about Wrath of Khan would be a good one to try as a taster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Y'all probably already follow this channel, but this might be the most seamless "in-take" yet...

Advertisement