Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Im working purely from memory so if that's what the stats say, so be it. I'd guess Ioane has played about a dozen matches for Auckland in total. Think he made the squad while still in high school and also the NZ 7s squad at the same time. 7s was his focus till the 2016 Olympics.

I think Nonu debuted for the ABs against England in 2003 on the wing. I know 2002 to 05 he seemed to mainly be a winger in Wellington and Hurricanes matches.

All this does show how hard it is to play midfield at international level. Took Nonu a long time to establish himself as a great 12 and even though Ioane was one of the best wingers in the world, he's still learning his trade as a 13 at international level despite having some experience. Big ask to put a kid like Moodie at 13 in a big RWC match against the number 1 team in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Oz won and England also. They can build up some momentum. Who knows with injury and this really poor officiating, this tournament could be blown wide open.

EJ will be chuffed. I think that start against a difficult physical outfit was just what Oz needed. The Pumas played like they just met in the sheds? Cheika bears this responsibility. Shocking effort.

Wales are still a poor side.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

No way on earth JVDF doesn't start. As talented as they are, POM and Beirne are glaciers in open field.

Were not going to beat South Africa at their own game. Stick with 5 - 3 split. Keep playing the fast tempo game that has brought so much success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i thought he was kinda rubbish at 13 tbh, fantastic winger though

100% true, i can see why people think moving beirne to 6 for the SA game is a good idea but changing the way Ireland play is a bad idea imo - SA are always likely to win the physical battle so just play the normal game and trust that it can work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I wouldn't believe anything coming out of that camp.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whilst I agree with you , to be fair Etzebeth is just back from a long lay off with a shoulder injury so it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well, the ref could have just not had a good view of the incident or been looking elsewhere rather than having waved it off. But if the player isn't subsequently cited, WR would essentially be doubling down on the wrong decision to the benefit of those who break the rules.

I don't see how it protects referees anyway, they will only receive more abuse for bad decisions, particularly if a citing doesn't subsequently happen because the ref didn't act on the incident. The player escapes punishment in that game and also after the fact, essentially dumping more of the displinary responsibility onto the ref who has a split second to make a decision while seemingly not allowing him use the supports which are readily available.

I'd say you are right about expecting too much in the way of logic, logic seems to have gone completely out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think Earls would be well suited to a big game like South Africa. He has the stopping power to hold up Kolbe, and the audacity to drive a try over the line. Hes not as flashing or exciting as Hansen, but hes there when it counts and in a finely balanced game a try saved and a try scored by Earls could make the difference between winning and losing

Post edited by johnnyskeleton on

He also scored our first try in the NZ series. He’s there on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sorry but there's no planet on which Earls should be picked before Hansen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Planet nostalgia, in the rose tinted solar system.

Earls is in the squad on merit. No way he's ahead of Hansen on form. Let the media eupogise him when he's retired, but let's not get carried away. It's the media's job to add narrative and they way they talk about Earls at the moment, you'd be surprised to hear he's not in the starting team. Let the media sell the fairytale to the people who set that interested in rugby, but we don't have to buys it.

Earls is a class act on and off the field. Sound man by all accounts. But he isn't the first choice wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He's not really in the squad on merit, he has basically no merit to speak of from the past 12 months. He's either been injured or behind Daly/Nash.

Compared to every other back on the field he was pretty much awful against Romania. Total passenger compared to any of the other back three players. I've said on here over and over that Farrell has more than earned the benefit of the doubt but this is one case where it clearly looks like a sentimental and not a rational selecition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's the media's job to add narrative and they way they talk about Earls at the moment, you'd be surprised to hear he's not in the starting team. 

To be fair, I'm not sure I've heard a single media outlet, podcast, pundit etc. suggest he should be starting?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No he wouldn't.

He doesn't actually have much stopping power anymore, but more to the point he simply doesn't play the game the way Hansen plays it. Hansen will see twice as much ball if not more than Earls and that is how Ireland like to play the game. Ireland want their wingers coming in and acting as playmakers and Earls just doesn't do that. The last place you would want him is against the large inside men and outside speedsters of South Africa.

He is in the squad on merit and for what he brings but there is absolutely zero chance of him playing beyond Tonga unless there is at least one if not two injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

I think that is the worry. There is a good chance Earls will be in the 23 for the QF with the sequence of games we have.

I don't think there is a good chance - Lowe and Hansen are not particularly injury prone and I'd say JOB is next off the line. I also wouldn't actually be that worried about him at 23 - he does provide good cover across the backline. But there is no chance of him breaking into the first choice team which is mostly what I was arguing against.

• Advertisement

He's not competing with Hansen, Daly or Nash though. He's competing with Stockdale and maybe Balacoune and Larmour. I'm not sure why people think Farrell is making this selection based on some sort of sentiment other than trying top pick the best guy available for the spot. If he felt one of the alternatives offered more to our chances of winning the World Cup then I have no doubt he would select them. He crunched the number and Earls' name came up. Honestly it amazes me that ppl think the coaches sat around and concluded that through Stockdale offers more on the field lets take Earls because people seem to like him. It's a bizarre take, there's no shortage of leaders, inspiration and popular lads in the group.

I'm not sure why people think Farrell is making this selection based on some sort of sentiment other than trying top pick the best guy available for the spot. If he felt one of the alternatives offered more to our chances of winning the World Cup then I have no doubt he would select them

These aren't mutually exclusive. I've mentioned that it was frequently commented upon that Fergus McFadden was brought on tours for the same reason. It is definitely a marginal reason, but at that level the marginal things matter.

I know its been commented on but not by coaches. And McFadden is irrelevant to Earls place in the squad. I honestly think people feel like Earls is a special case because of his mental health struggles and his public profile and so he's included as some sort of mascot. Earls was brought on the NZ tour and was one of the few players who started games against both NZ teams. He was on the bench for the final test, missed the Autumn games and this years 6N through injury but was straight back in for the warmups. He has been consistently selected by Farrell injury permitting in the absence of Conway. Farrell prefers him to the alternatives! Why is this hard to understand? Yes people love him but there is absolutely no evidence that his popularity or personality has anything to do with Farrell's selection. But for some reason people feel like Earls isn't the player he was and so there must be some other reason for his selection. Honestly I feel like it's fed by a steady diet of media lifestyle puff pieces/late late show stuff and Ireland's current love affair with wearing your heart on your sleeve.

Sure, maybe. He has been fairly consistently selected by Farrell so that's also a fair view of the matter. McFadden is not irrelevant, it's referencing that players can be selected both for being adaptable players in a squad and also for what they bring outside of the playing field. Farrell himself frequently references what Earls brings to the squad as a whole so I disagree that it's not been referenced by coaches.

He's also just a completely different back 3 player from everyone else selected and its a bit weird how far different he is. There was no one else screaming for selection so maybe it is just that he was the best player available and that was it. I'm not trying to denigrate him! I'm just saying anyone who is saying he might break into the 23 for the major games is almost definitely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

By comparing earls to McFadden, you are certainly trying to denigrate him. Who is saying he might break into the 23?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Our lineouts were a little rusty against Romania. I wonder what tweaks may be in the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭kita99

Please, anyone teach me that the difference between the high contact by Curry and Kriel who escaped citing.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

When Ireland play Tonga at the weekend it will have been over 4 weeks since Tonga last played a warm up game, it seems a long time. Surely not ideal preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Don’t see any difference myself.

Im curious have they set a precedent by not citing him and could curry point to the kriel one today at his appeal…and having it overturned.

Could any further similar clashes be also appealed and the kriel one used as precedent for it not been a red?

It they feel the kriel one doesn’t warrant a citing then they 100% must overturn curry’s red so at least there is consistency. Complete joke if they don’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

People feel he isn't the player he was because he isn't the player he was. The guy was benching for Munster in the final on merit as others were outperforming him and his couple of games around Christmas showed a guy who was struggling.

It's not just about being a nice guy or well liked etc. It's about what that individual brings to the squad in terms of focus, leadership and even just being a popular guy. These players are stuck in a camp for 2-3 months potentially. The make up of the group is absolutely a consideration for the coaches. It always has been. Aside from McFadden, it was accepted that it was a key factor in Alan Quinlan's involvement in touring squads. You need those guys who are going to keep the squad in check and ticking along. The squad gets frustrated, bored, infighting etc....all hugely damaging to success.

There's a reason that Farrell has spoken repeatedly of Earls' as a character and person within the group.

Advertisement