Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Updates - 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

It's an abbreviation of cúlabúla, which is just Irish language slang for 'cool'. The children's strand on TG4 - or TnaG, as it was - was called Cúlabúla 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭egal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Cúla = back ?

My Irish is near non-existant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bit of a niche query this but here goes.

I can see Cula4 and TG4+1 in the services list on my Tvheadend server, but the Kodi clients don't show them in channel list or EPG. Any time channels were added previously it "just worked".

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

The TG4+1 is a very dark logo on the Saorview Connect EPG, however it lights up when you highlight it, not that important, just thought I'd mention

Have you mapped the services?

Configuration - DVB inputs - Services ... highlight and Map

Yeah, when I try that it goes to the Service Mapper tab and just sits there showing Mapped 0, Ignored 0, Failed 0

Scrap the cap!

Check the options enabled in the Mapper page ....... untick them all and see if there is any change.

You should also try the link for each channel - the one in the 'Play' column.

You might get results if you first do a 'Force Scan' on the DVB-T Network.

(My TG4+1 disappeared and the rescan brought it back)

Mapper options - unticked all, no change, forced scan, no change.

The play button wants to save a playlist file - the TG4+1 one works when opened in VLC! (I expect the Cula4 one would work during the day too)

Kodi still can't see either channel, though - closed and reopened and still no go, there is a "Scan for channels" button in Kodi under PVR and Live TV Settings but it says the PVR backend does not support scanning. 14 and 18 don't appear in the channels list or EPG and are ignored if I type in the numbers. I also tried clearing the channel list data in Kodi, still no go.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

OK I deleted all services in TVheadend and added them again. I got the new channels, but I also got junk channels and had to hide them manually, never had to do that before. No EPG thus far either.

Edit: PVR-Clear Data in Kodi got the EPG back.

Scrap the cap!

I never 'map all' channels, but select those I want to have listed and map those.

If you got a lot of 'junk channels' listed then I guess you mapped all, else I have no idea how they were listed.

Do you also have Satellite channels in your setup?

I'm pretty sure I mapped all initially, didn't get any junk channels. Didn't have to touch it in the intervening few years, channel changes 'just worked'. No, no satellite tuners on TVheadend. All's good now but I'll probably have forgotten what I did if/when new channels come along next 😁

Just checked and Cula4 is now working, and TG4+1 not, as expected during the day. There is no caption card on Kodi on either of them when off the air, just blank screen, unlike RTE Jr and the other +1s.

Scrap the cap!

Yeah the lack of an "Off Air" graphic threw me at first.

I now use a bouquet file of my own to map the channels I want listed, in the order I want to see them. So a one-time set up of the channels and use the same file even when the hardware changes. I just enable that bouquet file and it automaps the contents. Over the years there have been a few channel changes which meant small edits to the file, and re-map.

The only prerequisite I can recall is that I must select to use picons rather than icons, and then the info is provided for me to copy to the file.

It is worth the effort because I have a lot of satellite channels in addition to the Saorview channels.

Yeah I was thinking that, there's not enough channels on Saorview alone to bother with bouquets really (have two Humax Foxsats still going for satellite...)

Thanks for your help.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭RoTelly

@Johnboy1951 Cúla4 comes from the TnaG days when the children's programme was call Culabula, meaning great or cool, but I am not sure if it comes from Irish Language slang or simply Hiberno-English.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bronkobilly

not many channels on saorview compared to freeview in the uk they put a new Gaelic channel on saorview and the flags go out freesat for me more choice of progammes. saorview for rte news only😏

Great but this isn't a thread about what you like to watch. I think you'll find most Saorview users have satellite as well.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The time on Mux 2 is over a minute faster than Mux 1 on Three Rock anyway

Mux 1 seems to the correct time

It's been like this for about a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

RTE is to close its RTE Aertel service on the 12/10/23. This is part of the cuts which was announced back in 2019, this is the start of many cuts to come, the Aertel service is one thing I will miss.

• Advertisement

Every mention of that on RTE and other news websites shows the 80s Aertel not the one now.

Does anyone working in the media actually use Saorview...?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,284 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

At a cost of €700k a year there's much better things RTÉ should be doing with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭thomasking22008

Wonder is there any more new channel coming on soarview

would like see add on euronews Irish film channel and documentary channel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would like VM1 to go HD so I can watch the WC rugby.

It is not possible to read the score on the Virgin channels - everything is so fuzzy. The comparison with RTE 2 is quite marked. HD is essential for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭thomasking22008

Yeah people rather watch on HD then standard screen I can’t see time on top right when I am in pub even big screen we decide switch over on itv hd better pic

ITV1 HD it is so! VM's loss.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have Dynamic settings enabled on my 32'' TV at the moment.

There is some weird motion banding going on when I'm currently watching the Europa League match between Brighton Hove Albion and Marseille on VM2 on Saorview. It happens when the players and management are moving around the pitch. I bet this would happen when the Rugby WC is on there as well.

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

My own guess - given that Sky are rebranding Pick as Sky Mix later this month, they might take the opportunity to put the channel (in SD) on Saorview - this would then mirror on Saorview the three stations they have in Freeview in the UK (Pick/Sky Mix, Challenge & Sky News), but would depend on a number of factors including wherever Sky think it's worth it, and wherever 2RN believes it can fit in another SD station on either multiplex without significantly affecting the picture quality of the current broadcasts on the same multiplex. IIRC Mux 1 has 2 HD & 4 SD concurrent streams & Mux 2 has 1 HD & 7 SD concurrent streams. I can be pretty sure though that a third multiplex won't be fired up to simply add one additional SD or even HD channel, given the payment model for being on the platform (unless someone bungs 2RN ridiculous amounts of money for the privlige).

As for the Virgin Media channels, IMO if they wanted to have any of their stations broadcast on HD on Saorview, they would have done it by now. Since the majority of viewers in the state can watch the channel in HD via a subscription service, and that only a small minority of viewers rely on their Saorview broadcasts, they've likely crunched the numbers and feel it isn't worth it financially and would prefer you to subscribe to their cable offering (or at least get their cut from Sky). Then again, I didn't think Sky News & Challenge would come on to Saorview when they did, so never say never.

I find Cinema mode is best for sports on standard digital channels, I also adjust the motion for fast moving sport scenes.

Not ideal but it is an improvement on picture quality, I'm using a 70" screen

• Advertisement

Sky Mix would be a good addition to the Saorview platform, if it happens

Advertisement