Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I knew well you wouldn't be able to bring yourself to say it.

So I will say it for you.

By your barometer Kerr 'absolutely failed', you have predicted that Roy Keane already will fail based on nothing but your biases, and gossip columns anecdotes.

The truth is Kenny was like one of those reality TV stars whose friends convinced him that he could sing. He convinced himself that he could try opera was self trained, he told us that he would bring us his classical style.

But he only ever learnt to sing in the shower, where there was no real pressure. He was the best singer in his household, we were told.

We were promised the young orchestra would grow with him, he told us of his previous records even listed them off, on the verge of tears.

He did not get the record deal, he did not even make it past the first round, but his friends and family blame everyone - but Kenny himself.

It all ended up in a jumble of an incoherent noise, which engendered more pity than anything. And even resorted to throwing Duffy up front in desperation. The antitheses of what we were promised summed up by that move, when the pressure was on and needed a goal.

Not just an absolute failure, but a parody of himself, a bad joke, a footnote, and a picture of a man slowly disintegrating before our very eyes. With the slow dawning and realisation that he might not be as good as he was told he was.

Kenny's dream:

Kenny's reality:

And don't forget:

"We didn't Underestimate Luxembourg"

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

RTE commentary was a disgrace last night.

Where does Darragh Moloney get off speculating on the job of a man in gainful employment? As for Ronnie Whelan "bring the centre backs up" with 20 mins to go as his side-commentator. These two are lucky they will be in a job the way RTE are going.

Then you go back the studio. Dietmarr Hamann is at least a bit entertaining. The other 2 offer nothing in terms of insight or humour. Sadlier especially is a remarkably dull person.

As an Irish fan that likes the way we are playing despite the results. I see at least a gameplan going forward.

This is a feeling I think that is felt broadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Martin O'Neill on Stephen Kenny:

"The Irish media have put Stephen in charge and therefore they are still going to peddle this idea that he has changed the course of football. That the Republic of Ireland play a different type of football.

"They put him in charge because they were very strongly in favour of him and the FAI succumbed and went with that, which was fine.

"The whole idea was he would change the course of football. We’re going to be a possession team, we are going to change it. That's very, very difficult to change when you are an international manager. You have players for two or three days.

"You're not going to change a lot of things in that time and it's all very well having possession when your two centre-halves pass the ball to each other on a number of occasions, and you get your stats up.

"The bottom line is you have to win football games. The Republic of Ireland want to qualify.

"I heard them saying this was a difficult group, which it was. France are a very good side. But we qualified from a group in 2016 that featured the world champions Germany. We actually beat Germany."

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

We nearly qualified for Euro 2020 under McCarthy. Came just behind a very good Denmark and Switzerland. Kenny now has us coming near the bottom of every group we've entered under him. That is driving us backwards at a huge rate.

You're forgetting that Kenny has us nowhere near any of the top 2 teams in the groups we've been in. He has us down with Luxembourg, Armenia, Greece, Bulgaria, Azerbaijan. We have better players than all of them. McCarthy nearly qualified us with a similar or worse squad than Kenny's. And his reign wasn't even good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Georgia outplayed us twice under mick.

Switzerland destroyed us away from home.

You have selective memory

No Georgia didn't. Switzerland, who went on to the Quarter finals of the Euros, knocking out France and only losing on penalties to Spain beat us easily away but we could have beaten them at home. We drew twice with Denmark, who went on to the Euro semi finals. We battered them at home in the final game of the group, a win would have put us through.

That's the level we were at directly before Kenny. He took us from being competitive at the top end of qualification to being also rans. The Kenny cult will try to twist, excuse, lie etc but the facts are that he's our worst manager in over 40 years, worse than Staunton and hopefully his miserable reign is finally coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

You're being kind to Mick McCarthy by leaving out the Gibraltar games. The 1-0 away was another memorably bad performance.

I think what really annoys the Kenny haters, and why they sneer about the LoI and "fanboys" and "cults", is that the crowd that go to the Irish matches and matches here really haven't turned on Kenny to the same extent as the PL barstoolers. I can understand why they demand quick solutions, they follow a game where every problem is fixed by "they should spend £60 million (sterling, obvs, for British teams) on that striker" and every manager is plunged into a crisis after 2 months of bad results.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Leave SK in place for the rest of the campaign - see where we stand then - either part ways with SK then or back him for another campaign

3 years of misery and 5 major failures is why people want Kenny gone. This is not some conspiracy, I don't follow any English team, I want Kenny gone because he's been an absolutely horrendous manager. It's hard to imagine any manager doing worse than Kenny in the past 3 years.

• Advertisement

Kenny's time is up. It's game over. He was given his chance and he failed miserably. It took long enough but the media have finally turned on him, even some of his biggest supporters have accepted that he has to go. It's going to be a really tough job for the next manager to recover from these 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

1 question a friend asked me last night - I’d be interested in input -

Does anyone know if Kenny is as “awkward” in his communication with the team away from the media or is he always like that ?

I mean the way he Avoids eye contact, mumbling, stuttering, not finishing sentences etc.

Like in the dressing room say if it’s half time and the team needs a motivational “get up and go” speech from the boss ???

Yeah I forgot about Gibraltar away. That was painful viewing. Watching Doherty and coleman get in one another's way all game. Amazing what people forget. No doubt Kenny needs to go and it hasn't worked but pretending mccarthy did any good for us is being disingenuous

I already said McCarty's reign wasn't good. That really shows how bad it has been under Kenny. He had a low bar to reach and he managed to spectacularly come nowhere close to it. It was perfectly set up for a new manager to come in. Fans were crying out for a more attacking strategy, we had a whole host of young exciting players coming through and we already had a squad which was competitive with 2 of the best teams in Europe.

All it needed was a competent manager but instead we got Kenny. The sad thing is that a huge opportunity was lost. These new players have now been introduced to a losing culture where failure has become accepted. Shame on those who continued to back Kenny when it was obvious he was way out of his depth.

I think we have differing ideas of the scale of the problems facing Irish football if you think it's all down to 3 years of Kenny. The last time we had a combination of good players and a good manager playing good football was over 20 years ago. Since then we had the financial meltdown and stood by as our playing pool shrank to the point where we now have 4th tier English league players starting.

Even the biggest plastic hammer wielding Ryan Giggs poster on the wall Ole Ole barstooling PL fan would have to admit that at least Kenny changed the style. And for the peanuts the FAI can pay, that's something. I hope the next manager builds on that and harnesses Ferguson effectively. I really can't see many queuing up to work for the FAI though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is another thread about that, where the OP suggested that Kenny must have some medical condition which affects his interviews.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058264760/stephen-kenny-in-interviews/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Once Anthony Barry left, Kenny's tactics and setup fell apart.

Our defence is now all over the place, we still don't close players down taking a shot, how many goals from outside the box?

Our Defenders are unable to look up and see where the forwards are making runs to play balls to them

Our midfield are afraid to try a killer pass.

McClean is now a League 2 player and in his 30's. He was expected to marshall the left wing, that was too much of an ask and not the players fault.

Our delivery of crosses very rarely beat the first player.

We are afraid to shoot, how many shots on target over the last two games?

Sadly alot of this is down to the mgr, we need to try something different, it might not work, but the current way is not working for sure and we know that.

No, I'm well aware of the disaster the FAI have been and the awful state of player development. This doesn't mean that a completely inept manager should be excused. Previous managers suffered the same issues but weren't excused.

The truth is that Kenny was part of the problem. He was Delaney's last appointment and it went as badly as much of his time in charge of the FAI. A change of style doesn't excuse the 5 major failures. The FAI are stuck for money and Kenny's disastrous results mean we mightn't even get a playoff for the next Euros. Qualifying for major tournaments would be a huge financial windfall for the FAI.

The importance of Anthony Barry is often overlooked. We could barely score a goal and couldn't win a match until Barry came in and set up the team and tactics. It still wasn't great but if we had just offered Barry the job and ousted Kenny, we'd be in a much better position now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement

The problem is sometimes good coaches make poor managers. Look at Paul Clement for that example. Coaching at Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid. Couldn't really hack it as a manager though.

Although international management might be different in that they won't be dealing with the day to day personnel issues that club management brings.

It's also really worrying why the players are still backing SK to the hilt. It sounds as if they are so comfortable now in the current setup knowing full well that failure and inability to win games is defended by the manager at all costs. We really need someone to come in a ruffle feathers and let them know in no uncertain terms that the results have not been good enough and level of performances won't be tolerated.

No they didn't.

Previous managers got the opposite, millions thrown at them, at assistants, at coaches. What did Roy Keane and Robbie Keane pocket for just standing around and contributing nothing except, in the case of Roy, arguments and falling outs. To the point where it became a joke amongst players during O'Neill and Keane era, the lack of tactics, the abuse.

people reading way too much into anthony barrys influence on things imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It is probably time for Kenny to go, however, there is delusion around the quality of players we have and the money available to replace him. I doubt Wilder (touted above, and on Game On) would come for the money Kenny is on. Even Keane is probably making more from the Overlap (never mind the pundit gigs).

The ultimate issue remains the entire structure and infrastructure around Irish football. And while it's easy to blame the FAI, it is also a funding issue which they can't solve themselves. GAA sucks up so much, the rest of the sports fighting for crumbs, not to mention the funding that goes into horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

This is very selective memory. The two games against Gibraltar especially the away game were absolutely horrendous. We were a Darren Randolph wonder save away from drawing with them in that away game. The two Georgia games were also terrible. Switzerland absolutely battered us away and finished 3rd in their group at the finals only beating Turkey. I was at that Denmark game you refer to and we played very well but only equalised with 5 mins left and didn't really create much in the final third for the whole game.

Kenny's time is definitely up and his in game management has been very poor at times but claiming that we were some kind of world force with McCarthy over us is ridiculous. I believe that the next manager will owe a lot to Kenny when he has a squad full of guys in their early-mid 20s with a lot of international experience as compared to what Kenny inherited.

Going to watch Ireland under McCarthy and latter O'Neill was absolutely painful which is why crowds started dropping. That is what really matters to a cash strapped organisation such as the FAI.

Your only defence of Kenny is that previous managers and assistants got paid more than they deserved?

That's not really much of a defence. Especially since we've wasted some much needed funds on Stephen Kenny. The results in his tenure, the failure to come close to qualifying for tournaments, the dropping in our rankings and unlikely even to make a playoff for the euros have been financially disastrous for the FAI. Kenny's reign has been an unmitigated disaster, that's the truth. Trying to blame everything else except Kenny is pathetic.

How many goals and victories did we have prior to Barry coming in? Do you remember 4-3-3 was Kenny's formation and he stook with it religiously? That changed when Barry came in.

Well we all know that SK was brought in because he was also the cheap ticket. I'm sure they can find more money for the likes of a Wilder.

Regarding the infrastructure and youth setups they are the main issue. It's hard to know what to do and who is at fault. A lot of the top clubs (LOI) are private companies. I don't think they have the expertise to develop youth players to the standard that the likes of Scotland do for example. It's grand having a national league but take a look at Rugby. A lot of the reason teams like Ireland are doing well is that the players play pro rugby week in and out against some of the best teams and players in the world. I'm not sure what can be done with this in terms of soccer but a cross border league would be the first step you would think.

It's possible that we need to get away from multiple clubs having multiple underage setups with the best players receiving varying degrees of coaching in terms of quality. Look at the French in Clairefontaine for example. Don't spread yourself thin in terms of coaches. Get the players to one location and direct everything at that. Possibly look at centralised contracts for players when they reach a certain age and get them playing in a decent competitive environment.

It's comical at times. Could you imagine Gareth Southgate or an England manager coming out with interviews like SK does? We'd be on the floor laughing at them. It's like watching Mike Bassett.

• Advertisement

What's with the strawman arguments? I never said we were a World force under McCarthy. And it's not a selective memory. We did nearly qualify for the Euros under McCarthy, Switzerland did get to the Euro quarter finals knocking out France. Denmark did get to the Euro semi finals. We were competitive with those 2 with having a similar or worse squad than what Kenny has. And we had 15 shots to 3 against Denmark in that last game, we deserved to win.

Steve Staunton introduced a huge number of players, he drew with Germany and a very good Czech Republic team, he beat Slovakia and Wales and had some other excellent results. Did we say the next manager owed him a lot for his time in charge? No, he will always remembered as having failed badly as Ireland manager, the same will be remembered for Kenny. His reign has been horrendous and the next manager has an extremely tough job to recover from it. I'm sure he won't be thanking Kenny for falling so far down the rankings and getting tougher draws anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement