Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

So regarding surveying and mining/extracting using outposts I made a post on Reddit that might prove useful so I'll copy it here. I'll put it behind spoiler tags in case people want to figure it out on their own, there will be no story spoilers just tips and the location of early game resources.

My tip for finding sites with multiple veins of different resources

If you want an outpost to extract multiple different resources try this.

I choose what main resource I want, let's say Iron, and I find a planet with Iron and other resources. I choose an iron rich area to land in using the ship scanner, then I search for an iron vein using the personal scanner when on foot.

Once I've found one I press the "outpost" button without actually placing the outpost. Look to the top left of the screen and the UI will tell you how many resources are in the proposed sites radius.

Use the outpost radius as your search tool as it's quite large in what it checks, the map is too big to judge multiple veins just using the scanner.

Early outpost development resources you need can be found close to or in Alpha Centauri.

Iron, Nickel, Cobalt, Copper at Zamka, moon of Olivas in Alpha Centauri

Aluminium and Helium 3 at Kurtz in Alpha Centauri

Lead, titanium, tungsten at Titan in Sol. Pluto has them too, but Titan can have wind farms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No hard dates but Todd Howard mentioned official mod tools - presumably the latest iteration of the Creation Kit - won't arrive til sometime in 2024. Will be interesting to see if the game's buzz lasts til then, and what the mod community could do with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd imagine the pc crowd will keep the interest going for a good while, it's already got a lot of mods. I could see the console side dropping off a bit at least. Guaranteed uptake again once they release a 60fps mode I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Is anyone else having an issue getting into cloud games (including this) since this launched the last few days whenever I go to hop on to play cloud games the wait time is over 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably since there is over 900 barren planets that can be changed and turned into fantastic new cities and zones.

I'm waiting for someone to create the planet Nirn lol

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭feargantae

5mins is grand! I've often had 15mins waits. I seen someone on Reddit had a nearly 4 hour wait so we shouldn't complain too much!

I'd imagine console players might have a wait a bit longer than PC for mods.

What was the story with Fallout 4 and mods on console? I didn't play that until years after it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mods on console weren't out at launch for Fallout 4. Also they disable achievements when mods are enabled. I played that game at launch and found it a good game. I actually never played it with mods. Like most games I played it as much as I could, as in main game finished and done as much side quests and exploring as I could and then never played the game again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whatever about mods, YouTube is already having fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The space dogfighting is great, really surprised by how much I'm enjoying - especially after coming into the game off the back of Everspace 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very insightful and thought provoking review.

Care to expand on it a bit as to why you feel this way?

Are you seriously saying that Fallout '76 was a better game than Starfield on release?

Have you taken the "thrusters" skill yet? Ships that are capable of this offer more manoeuvrability. For example, you can retain your momentum in one direction while rotating 180 degrees to face a chasing enemy.

Yeah, that's where things really started to improve for me. There's a real grace and skill to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Question for the mainly playstation users, have you uploaded an excessive amount of screenshots to the xbox network?

Or is it just me and my fat thumbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Are you playing on PC? For most of this game I prefer M&KB but I feel like flying might be better with a controller, especially combat. Have you tried it?

I’m playing on Xbox so have been exclusively on the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Actually spent some time with this game. Dreadful stuff. Utterly charmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think you had that decided before you even played the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

A game of menus and loading screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Finally the analyst has analysed and delivered a truly shocking unexpected analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im finding doing bounties far more enjoyable than the main story or side quests.

I enjoy the combat a lot so with the bounties i get plenty of action and less dialogue and go here to talk to him then back to her,, dock here, dock there blah blah blah :P

I picked up 5 bounty missions earlier from my outpost mission terminal, should take 30 minutes but 3 hours later i finished them after getting sidetracked so many times along the way either by being attacked in space or finding a contraband facility on the way to one of the bounties to robbing 4 ships that landed randomly not too far from another bounty location.

Its that gameplay loop i really enjoy, skyrim in space tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭feargantae

I've encountered 2 Irish characters so far which is great to see, O'Shea and Saoirse. However their accents are shocking. Switches from Leprechaun-Irish to Scottish to generic American all in the same dialogue!

I'm glad for the representation but Chrisht.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Fairly disappointed with it after playing this for around 16 hours over the last few days.

So very glad i didnt buy it outright, thanks gamepass!

The inventory is bad, not as bad as NMS, but it's shockingly shite for bethesda, how the fcuk can you get encumbered looting helium?

Loot is ghastly, there's almost no reason to pick anything but credits up, can you even scrap weapons? Vendors run out of credits too soon lol.

The main story is uninvolving and uninteresting, some of the early sidequests have more character to them.

Spacecombat is alright, but it can be flaky too, had a neutral ship smack into me in a dogfight and spazout battering my ship into everything, i laughed out loud but had to reload

The bugs though.. 20 minutes into the game and i fell through a floor and got stuck in terrain, reloading (again)helped but ffs.. this was the main quest. (on pc btw)

How this got such a high rating is beyond me, it's not dreadful.. but i've played early access games in better shape than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I wouldn't normally care but this annoyed me. Surely to God! (In my best Oirish accent) it wouldn't be too difficult to get actual Irish voice actors. There's a German NPC too and his accent is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im about 30+ hours in and cant say i disagree an awful lot.

To respond to your thoughts:

Inventory is terrible but mods make a massive improvement here [ look a single modder a day but bethesda took 7 years or more]

Theres also a mod that makes all the useless stuff like hammers or wrenches so you cant pick them up so they dont clutter up your inventory or take up valuable weight limit. [should be able to scrap these sort of items like fallout 76]

Main story is meh, way too much go here talk to this that and the other, dock here dock there.

Space combat as you say is ok but its nothing compared to ever space 2.

As for bugs ive had a few but mostly a few crashes.

As i said earlier in this thread its far more enjoyable just roaming around taking random bounty missions than doing the strict gameplay of main questline or side missions but for how long will this keep me interested i do not know.

Performance is absolutely terrible,easily the worst performing game in my library of thousands.

Thankfully ive got it running at 50-60fps minimum on my old 1080ti but if they could improve performance a lot more it would be great.

Its weird because sometimes i get 90+ fps , its as if everything is rendering even when not even in view, slopy sloppy engine and optimizing.

Having said all that i am enjoying my time with it, its just nowhere near a 9/10 or anything id say its a good 7/10 game but needs a lot of optimizing and debloating.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That inventory mod tool is great. Really reflects badly on Bethesda how much better it is despite it being a relatively simple mod. Didn't realise there was a mod for stopping you picking up useless junk, that is great. I need to install that. Would love if it prevented them from being highlighted by the scanned as well. I doubt it does that but that would be a big improvement. I'm sick of scanning a room for good stuff only to find some much of it is rubbish.

Did ye need mods to stop you picking up plates in Skyrim?

Here's how I avoid picking up junk.

I don't pick them up.

Stop picking up every gun you find too. No wonder you don't like the inventory UI if it's full of crap you don't need. 😂

If you want to get deep into crafting, follow my advice regarding outposts above. Those resources give you pretty much everything you need to craft any product, at least in the early to mid game.

Stop picking up duct tape and guns. This isn't Fallout 4.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm not picking them up but sometimes you accidentally do especially seeing as some of the junk looks like some of the crafting things like the cubes and the wire or whatever it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

So I played the first few bits of this, the initial on rails bit followed by the first constellation mission up to the point where Sarah can leave your party.

I wasn't impressed by much of it. The start was really slow, the couple of "dungeons" I've been taken through felt like they could have been straight out of Fallout 4 and the gunplay wasn't great, though I've never been an FPS fan anyway. And it looks like playing it as an FPS seems to be the only way to do these missions as far as I can tell. I would have thought the game was ripe for a hacking skill tree, utilising cameras and turrets and the like the way you can in something like Cyberpunk. Maybe that does exist later on but I've seen no hint of it. Outside of the FPS sections, I'd read lots of comments about fast travel in the reviews but hadn't realised just how heavily the space travel part of the missions amounts to clicking on planets with objective markers on them and watching loading screens.

For a change of pace after completing the constellation mission I walked around the big city and did some menial fetch quests, planting seeds and picking up items and delivering stuff between people and none of it was fun. Maybe I'm misremembering because it's been a few years but I feel like in Skyrim everyone was an individual and they all had homes and jobs and daily routines that added immersion, whereas here 90% of NPCs are "citizen" and I found myself just wandering around hovering the cursor over everyone looking for people who had names so I could speak to them, and it never feels like the sort of real town where everyone has their place like towns in Skyrim did. Maybe I'm nitpicking because it's honestly no different to how most games work, but I thought this was Bethesda's unique selling point and they seem to have quietly dropped it.

At this point I was happy to say my FOMO was sated and it was time to go play something else, but I thought I'd try the ship building mode before logging out and ended up spending about 3 hours engrossed in messing around with different ship designs, despite having barely enough credits to do so.

I see there also appears to be stuff about building outposts, and you seem to be able to hire and assign crew to different ships and facilities. None of this has been explained to me but I want to explore more of this now and see if I can build a trading empire or something, I literally have no idea what's possible but that's kind of a good thing I guess!

Advertisement