Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

How does a broke FAI put money on the table for a new manager while having to pay out the rest of Kennys contract? This isnt football manager. I do think people like who are saying let him see out hte contract understand the financial position we are in.

Your suggesting John O'Shea to replace Kenny as a new voice in the room. He is Kennys Assistant/Coach so your argument is a nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I'd agree. Unless there is some set up created where someone like Kenny is kept within the FAI to nurture young talent and make an easier transition from underage football and senior football. He obviously has a talent for it and is hugely respected by the players. A large % of our current squad and starting XI would've been given debuts by Kenny and speak highly of him. To lose that would be a massive waste of skill and experience, depends if Kenny wants to do that though as he'd have to work alongside one of these new managers who replaced him.

When you look at the 3 examples you mentioned, there is definitely merit in looking into it from an international perspective:

Herve Renard - won AFCON with Zambia and Ivory Coast, first manager to win it with 2 teams. Qualified Morocco for the World Cup in 2018, first time in 20 years. Qualified Saudi Arabia for the 2022 World Cup beating Argentina. Current French Womens manager.

Vahid Halilhodzic - 2 years with Ivory Coast and went qualifying for WC unbeaten. Disappointing AFCON and sacked. Qualified Algeria for the 2014 World Cup getting to the 2nd round, best ever performance. Had a tumultuous time as Japan manager, despite qualifying them for the 2018 WC. Qualified Morocco for the 2022 WC and sacked before it started. Seems a spiky character.

Vladmir Petkovic - Swiss manager for 7 years. Qualified for the 2016 Euros, 2018 WC and 2020 Euros, in the latter getting to the QF's for the first time in their history. Also getting to the UEFA Nations League finals in 2019.

Luc Holtz has also been mentioned, 13 years as Luxembourg manager where they've arguably got better although I think there has been a lot of money invested in underage Lux football. Feel he's be under pressure from the start given people's thoughts about Luxembourg international football, feel we would need someone with a higher profile and pedigree.

Sure there are a couple more examples like the above but there's no reason they shouldn't be considered if we're also looking at the likes of Carsley, Duff, both Keanes, Hughton, etc. Financials will obviously play a massive part here and if €550k per year is attractive to some of these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If we can’t get anyone better in time Bring him back for those last 3 games for the craic, he might have a go at Tony O’Donoghue or something. Just get Stephen out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

so you'd gladly never have an Irish international team again? you are aware of the FIFA rules yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Surely there's a way for the government to fund grass roots levels and have the FAI as mostly just a puppet org at the top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Well it would take 700 million odd euro according to the FAI estimate. Which means it would take at least 1.5 billion euro as everything in Ireland goes massively over budget. So irish governments aren’t going to be massively interested in financing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I agree on Duff. Someone said on newstalk this morning that DUff has been successful at Sherbourne, really? What has he done apart from get to the FAI Cup final and lost 4-0. Its easy enough get to an FAI cup final as well, Athlone a poor first division side got to an FAI cup semi final a couple of years ago and lost 11-0 to Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

He's 'pragmatic' according to the caller. If hoofing the ball is the only requirement, then I'm sure plenty of people in this thread would take the job for €60,000 a year.

It was a newstalk presenter that said he was successful which makes it even worse, they haven't a clue.

I can imagine Duff would have interesting interviews with Tony after defeats like Ireland 0 Slovenia 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Y'know, that might actually be worth it. Duffer might outright call TOD out for being a massive knob who asks mind meltingly stupid questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jack747

Anyone not using their tickets for Ireland 21s tomorrow night in Turners Cross and are able to transfer them by email , I’d gladly take them off your hands! Just send me a PM! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Speaking of the U21s, Sinclair Armstrong has joined back up with them for tomorrow's game against San Marino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

The superior quality they had in the final third of the pitch was decisive IMHO. We worked hard pressed well high up the pitch and created some good chances from the pressing but didn't have the quality to take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭thehairygrape

The problem in replacing SK is money. FAI just can’t afford to pay off Kenny and hire someone better. Kenny has got the players playing a nice brand of losing football. His competitive record is really appalling. Maybe some creative solutions could be found, like allowing an established manager to take the job as an extra to their main club job. Germany are proposing something like this with Klopp (a non-runner I’d say). Someone like Brian Barry-Murphy may be allowed to/interested in sharing his duties at Man City. He is very well thought of, especially with younger players.

I’d let Kenny in situ for the Greece and Gibraltar games and if we lose the Greece game in particular bring someone new in for the Holland clash. Unless the FAI can find someone in the next month. Which is unlikely.

What do I love about him? Everything.

I love how he can bully defenders. I love his positioning, I love how he’s always asking different questions of the centre-half, either going up against him or, as he did against Newcastle, dropping in short, getting the ball to feet and turning. I love his movement in the box. Perhaps most of all, I love the purity and ferocity of his hunger; how much he craves goals.

Found this bit funny :

I’m not sure how to write this next bit without sounding like a wanker… but as I watched Ferguson against Newcastle, I caught myself thinking, ‘Yeah, I recognise that’ or, ‘Hmm, I may have seen some of that before’. I don’t know whether it was his exuberance or confidence, the touch of arrogance, but that little strut, the way he handled himself, was very reminiscent of how I felt at that age. Goals were my drug and we share the addiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

On one hand there is no rush to make an appointment because the new manager probably wouldn't have an important game until September 2024 (although you'd obviously want to give them a few games prior to this). On the other hand I completely agree it seems pointless letting Kenny take charge of the next 3 games knowing he is gone at the end. You'd hope the FAI board have been plotting potential replacements over the past few months as this was always going to be the most likely scenario.

If we had a man lined up I wouldn't hesitate and get rid of Kenny now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,444 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The problem in replacing SK is money. FAI just can’t afford to pay off Kenny and hire someone better.

Kenny's contract ends in a few months.

There is relatively very little to pay off at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

100%. The squad he won the euros with contained Aarons, Colwill, Elliott, Jones, Ramsey, Archer, Gibbs-White, Palmer, Madueke, Smit Rowe…there’s 10 players that would walk into the starting lineup for the Ireland senior team and he won an U21 with them. People might be overestimating how good a manager he’d be.

Imagine the difference dropping Elliott, Jones and Gibbs-White into our midfield would make!!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If they have their next person ready to go, then absolutely, let Kenny go and bring in the new person asap. If they don't, then I don't see any real benefit to incurring the costs of a new person - you're paying off Kenny, but also have to pay the interim. And if it's someone already in house, by default you still have to bump up their pay as their responsibilities increase (not to mention that everyone's reasoning to fire Kenny immediately is that he's a lame duck, well, i'm not sure having one of his assistants take over makes them any less of lame in that regard).

Given how little money we have to spend, it'd probably best not to be wasteful on interim solutions - every penny should go towards attracting the next main man.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Someone mentioned a name that never would have entered my mind until today:

Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

Highly unlikely, but he’s available and has a good pedigree. Would be the type of name that would get bums on seats and could benefit the FAI commercially too.

As a manager on the up, hard to see much chance he'd consider the job tbh though. He'll have better, more lucrative offers on the table at club level, and it's probably too soon for him to jump into the stagnation of international management now after having such a good season last year with PSV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

One of the first things a prospective manager will do is look at the teamsheet, what they'll have to work with. Aside from Ferguson and a couple of others they'll find grim reading. 😑

Yeah, honestly, I think my gut feeling on any appointment is that if their name brings about much recognition or excitement, they're probably out of our league.

I think whoever we'll end up with is someone that we'll be qualifying with a bunch of caveats, most of which are likely to be centered around either lack of experience, or being tactical dinosaurs.

Times saying things could move fast and Kenny could be gone before the October window

I think Ferguson should be pushed on any manager who hums or haws on it. With him you have an elite talent (which he is) and you get to build a team around him.

I just think the FAI should try think outside the box. Van Nistelrooy is obviously bordering on no chance but then it goes back to what I said about Vladimir Petkovic. I think that’s genuinely a name that could be persuaded. Has a good record in international football and for whatever reason it isn’t transferred to club management.

• Advertisement

John Fallon reporting that Director of Football Marc Canham will be leading the hunt to find the next manager. Serious candidates will be interviewed by Hill and a board representative likely Bonner.

If Canham is actually the one tasked with finding someone would assume they've got some names as potential replacements . Spent the last ten years working with the Premier League. Would have worked with clubs and coaches in England so would know a few names and possibly some names people here wouldn't suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Does that Petrovic fella speak English? Because I feel this Irish side needs constant clear direction - almost being walked through a game. As no one does that on the pitch.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Reckon Kenny will be officially out of the job by Friday.

Interesting to know what they mean by break clause, whether it's a small few quid as compensation or just straight up qualification is over so is your job with no pay.

Not like Kenny was in any good bargaining position when he would have been negotiating his last contract. Not like he could have said these are my terms and I won't budge. Would have been out of a job.

Will be interesting to see what's said on Thursday and if Hill will keep any talk about Kenny to a minimum and focus more on Pauw. Might shock us and announce Kenny has been left go at the media briefing.

I don’t know if he does actually, and is a fair point to make.

• Advertisement

Tbh when you see the Irish Times speculating he'll be gone before the next international games there's normally fire underneath the smoke.

I'd say he'll probably go on Thursday "officially"

EDIT: I see the FAI have a board meeting on the 26th Sept - so maybe then

Same reporter back in June was the one that mentioned about the break clause which could be triggered if the team cannot qualify from Group B before Greece comes to Dublin on October 13th.

Think Kenny can count himself lucky he got this long cause if JDs reign of terror hadn't come to an end Kenny would have been gone long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I'd love to think the FAI have been scouting potential replacements for Kenny for months, but we'd surely have heard a rumour or something from an unnamed source seeing as the FAI leaks like a sieve. I reckon they've done fook all.

I didn't realise Brian Barry Murphy was as highly rated. With Kenny losing his head coach every 6 months it's a pity he didn't get Murphy in the same way Anthony Barry came aboard but didn't need to quit his Chelsea job.

Carsley being mentioned is a waste of time. The FAI will have to pay a few million to pay up his contract and all for an unproven senior manager.

Wayne Rooney anyone?? Managed a basket case in Derby and blooded loads of academy players. If JD was there, and Denis still writing the cheques, this would be the celebrity signing that would have Kenny out the door by the end of this week. God you'd miss Delaney at times.....

Man City don't allow their coaches to double job. It's one of the reasons why Carsley left Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,444 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Whenever Kenny goes and his replacement is named I hope the first word out of my mouth when I see is name is "Who ?"

I want this to be a new slate, no old retreads like Roy Keane, or Lennon, or shots in the dark like Duff.

I want it to be someone I never heard of.

Zero chance of Rooney I'd say. Doing well in club management, and earning multiples at DC United of what he'd be offered with us.

Essentially, anyone that looks like a genuinely decent shout - particularly anyone with a bit of a profile on the up at club level - is probably out of our league.

We're probably looking at either lads who the game has left behind like Hughton, or prospects with no real senior management experience like Carsley, or Anthony Barry.

The best outside chance of a potential good outcome I can think of would be Chris Wilder. Probably past his best at club level, with two pretty bad club jobs in a row, which might just about make him attainable for us. Could get more money elsewhere, but might fancy the easier life of international football at this stage after a rough few years. Not exactly the forward thinking guy we'd love, but certainly a million miles ahead of the likes of Hughton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tony Pulis?

I heard Ben Foster on the Peter Crouch podcast. The football podcast, not the one with his wife. Foster had a funny story, maybe a bit of poetic licence used to make it funnier, but Pulis sounded fully against anything other than long ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

There's no one half decent who would be interested in this job.

No one.

Looking at the last 10 results we have lost to much better teams by respectable margins.

Considering our squad I wouldn't expect much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I’d say there is, but it’s likely to be an unknown entity and would require the FAI to take a punt on them.

Considering the FAI told Lee Carsley ‘thanks but no thanks’ when he was begging them for a job suggests the FAI don’t have the best track record in finding them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The problem with the seedings is that for USA 2026 only the top team qualifies automatically. 2nd place playoff + 4 Nations League spots.

In which we have always been **** in.

That's Barry Murphy out as a coach for now so. Can't see him leaving a coaching gig with man city for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Well you get a season ticket for some LOI clubs for €200 & get all LOI clubs for €300. If every football supporter in Ireland done that we'd have LOI clubs in the group stages of European football every year playing against the internationals our national players face. You'd also have full time underage structures funded for players to get the required level of coaching to develop into good players.

Not enough people willing to pay the 'tax' of sustaining and developing football here though.

John Fallon in the Examiner seems to have a certain enough story about Lee Carsley being thr number one priority for the FAI. Apparently he's on 1 year rolling contracts, the FA would expect the FAI to approach him and wouldn't stand in his way, and compensation would be small.

Is he a good all round for? I know little about his work experience. Damien Delaney brilliantly pointed out what Holland changed at half time, he reckoned he figured it out with Richard Dunne early in the second half, but Kenny didn't make a change for nearly half an hour. So the question is, is there evidence Carsley is a good on the spot tactician?

Exactly, they’ll pay a tax but when there’s literally an option out there for them to do it without being forced to, they do nothing.

However it’s ingrained into many people that the LOI doesn’t deserve it and even many here sneer at the League.

Not to mention the government are not allowed to meddle in the affairs of football governing bodies other than to provide funding.

Should be a bannable offence to mention Tony Pulis 😂

Though I did see someone mention Graham Souness when talking about needing a manager that can turn the team into a team of nasty bastards.

😅

That's one thing we need a bit of alright, mcclean is the only one really who likes the physical side of the game and mollumby, he is a bit of a liability though.

Another thing I think I noticed is does bazunu ever shout at his players much? My ball etc, it seems like he is very quiet when playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I was sat up in the gods, behind the goal the Dutch were defending in the second half, and even I could see it after a couple of mins that they had changed to 4 at the back. Kenny and Andrews just watched on with no reaction to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement