Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Regarding contrasts of style under MON, Mick and SK.....I suggest you look at the word "results".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

what is the point in even responding to this tripe

Ah I see. The results aren't applicable to Stephen.

What I'm saying is the style between those 3 doesn't matter a **** if the results are forthcoming.

MON was very good until the euros. the campaign after that was horrendous. mick was a waste of time dont really know how anyone could argue different. kenny has been a disaster but we've been on a big slide since exiting the euros in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Remember the game in Georgia where we somehow scraped a 1-1 in 2017? That was MONROY at its very worst. Georgia were pinging the ball around like Spain 2008, it was embarrassing. That was the last straw for me with those two and even this SK era has never had me so pissed off.

• Advertisement

I'm not entirely disagreeing. I do think though we have the players available to us to be competing for playoffs. I think we have slid rapidly under SK. 3 groups now and nothing. No signs of the changing. It's just getting worse.

You come across as having a personal dislike of the man. We've probably never had a manager more invested in the team than SK. Yes he's awful at media but the players seem to like him and we don't know what he's like in training or in the dressing room.

there is still an outside change of us getting playoffs. we''ve in or around a 15% chance i think after the latest results, down from around 25% before the 2nd round of games on sunday. armenia winning has nearly killed us off.

Yeah and us losing to Greece away. The one game where we needed a result and again for the third group in a row couldn't get it. I can't see us getting near a playoff unfortunately.

I do think this team are capable of getting a win again Greece at home and if the group is tied up by the time we play the dutch away then no reason why we can't upset them. Strangers things have happened in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

You don't see your big problem with calling out odds as some sort of defence of the situation?? The odds are like that because he has done a shite job for years now.

• Advertisement

I mean if we had had Fergie the other night we could have scored a few and hung on for a win. SK has been desperately unlucky too. Hopefully this Andrew Moran fella amounts to something, scored a cracker for the U21s last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Style of play doesn't matter a hoot in international football, there is feck all matches anyway , it's all about getting to tournaments and being able to go to them as fans. Either way the style aspect is a pointless argument , Kennyballs main goal threat has been Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Did you watch any of Kenny's first Nations League campaign? The Wales 0-0, 2 games against Bulgaria, 2 games v Finland. They were all horrible to watch. Then we had Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Ukraine. It's one of the myths that follow Kenny, that somehow we were entertaining to watch. Even the most recent games. We were all out defence, played some long balls, looked to score from set pieces and in the end threw Duffy up front! The very things previous managers got criticised heavily for.

That's the frustrating thing for us and Kenny. Fergie will more than likely start or play some part for Brighton this week. I've no doubt he could have been a big difference again the Dutch. Adam Idah just ain't going to score goals. The funny thing about Moran is we don't even need him to be a top PL or Mid table PL creative player. If he is creative in the championship that would do just fine. Smallbone the same.

It has to be noted that Kenny has had zero luck with injuries to key players but the run of results at the moment isn't down to luck. Its poor management and an unwillingness to change systems. He is as ignorant and stubborn as Mon or Trap in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭sonic85

Personally I can't wait to watch the next manager with 10 behind the ball lashing it long in Evan Fergusons general direction hoping he does something miraculous with it. It's gonna be great

To be fair we've had SK constantly criticised for not mixing it up and trying some hoofball when things get desperate. He didn't have much of a choice on Sunday as nothing else was working and we basically don't have a functioning midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That says it all. We just don't have enough players anywhere near the standard required to be challenging the 2 best teams in any group.

I don't think that will happen with a half decent manager. Direct ball is a better term for it where we counter and get runners of him. Mix it up a little.

We've gone from one extreme to the other here. We went from a lumping the ball team to a team happy to keep possession in out own half without trying to advance.

We need to play the few strengths we actually have and one of them is raw pace especially in ebolese, obafemi and ogbene.

Greece, Armenia, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan and even Serbia. These are the results that has marked Kennys card. Not defeats to France or Holland or Portugal.

Whilst losing to Greece or Serbia is no shock you just need to pick up at least one win against them at home and possibly away to qualify.

The chances of going back to long ball type tactics have increased with every failure under Kenny, that's probably the biggest issue.

• Advertisement

So hoofball is acceptable under Kenny but not previous managers?

And yet McCarthy, with all his faults nearly qualified us with a group containing 2 if the best teams in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

As I've said I think its now probably time to get rid of Kenny but we really needed a few years to blood players and let results come second. I know international football is a results business and now is probably the time for them to be priority again but as has been flagged so many times there was an 8 year period where the only player that came through our U21 team was Alan Browne. That is absolutely shocking. Football in Ireland is a mess due to under investment. When we lost to Armenia that time there was an article showing the investment on Football there compared to here and it was actually embarrassing.

The main thing I take out of this whole SK affair is this - who the f**k do we think we are? Did we expect to qualify for this tournament despite but not limited to:

1) Only qualifying for 6 tournaments in our history with 3 of them before 1995

2) Depending on the English system and clubs to develop our young players for the entirety of our existence (only changing now because of Brexit) with an embarrassingly underfunded national league and infrastructure. The growth of the premier league to a worldwide game means Irish youngsters are competing with the whole world to make it at premier league clubs or as footballers in general.

3) Having a small population with two national sports as well as rugby amongst others to take from the potential playing population.

4) Most importantly - being drawn in a group with France and Netherlands. That was the end of our hopes before any ball was kicked. France are the best team in the world and Netherlands have an array of higher end champions league players.

If you showed all of the facts including investment, history and competing sports to someone with no knowledge of the country and they would say we are exactly where we should be down around 3rd/4th in groups and a lower League B/ upper League C Nations League team.

A little hoofball is fine when desperate for such a limited team, I admire SK for at least trying a different style and I'm hoping it rubs off even a little bit before we revert to type.

Full Stephen Kenny excuse bingo. Why were previous managers not excused for that list above? Kenny has been blessed with a large list of young players emerging. The squad really isn't as bad as Kenny supporters want to paint. We have 6 or 7 premier League players! And Kenny isn't competing with the top teams in any of our Nation's League or qualification groups. He's been competing to come third or avoid coming bottom.

The thing is, we could have hired a manager with a more progressive style and he was a competent manager! The opportunity was missed and wasted on Kenny. Now we're more likely to hire a big Sam type manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I think I heard PEAK cult of Stephen Kenny when I heard Shane Coleman on Newstalk complaining that whilst Martin O'Neill got us to Euro2016 he only finished third in the group.

Who could we have hired with our budget, seriously?

Well we hired Anthony Barry as assistant so I'm sure we could have got him. A bit of thinking outside the box, there are some good young managers in England and across Europe who play good football and are affordable. Also, qualifying for major tournaments would be massive financially for the FAI. Paying that but more to get a decent manager is a worthwhile investment. What do they say about paying peanuts?

• Advertisement

Keeping Kenny just because he is the cheapest option is typical LOI shortsightedness. In the long run slipping down the rankings, not competing and not qualifying will be more economically harmful that hiring someone now for more money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement