Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I'd like to see it as Henderson, Ryan, Beirne, VdF and Doris. Then have McCarthy and POM in reserve to come on after 60.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The point of first contact. It's a load of scutter but if you hit the opponent's shoulder and then the head you get away with only a penalty or a yellow card or absolutely nothing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Compare this with France's inclusion of Chalureau.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

seem rusty because there is no consistency in who is throwing or jumping at the moment, lineouts work best when its a stable pack who play regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

In the Autumn International against SA last year, the forwards were Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Beirne, Ryan POM, VDF, Doris.

Balacoune started as Lowe wasn't available. McCloskey started as Henshaw pulled a hamstring in the warm up. McClosley got injured during the match being replaced by JOB. Murray started as JGP was only coming back from injury. Carbery was replacement outhalf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I say the way they talk about him, you'd be surprised his not in the starting team.

Just pook at jow the poster described Earls: He has the stopping power to hold up Kolbe, and the audacity to drive a try over the line.

The audacity to drive over the line? Purely meaningless fairytale language. Earls is good, great for his age, but let's not get carried away, that's the media's job but we don't nave to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Feels strange to say but I'm more concerned about the Tonga match this weekend than South Africa or Scotland which are games that will take care of themselves.

Tonga will have been targeting this game and we will be playing a mix and match team. Obviously confident we will get the job done but this will be a very physical game you feel.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Tonga will go all out for sure , but despite the returning "stars" they have played like drains for quite some time and the only team they've beaten recently is Canada - Both Fiji and Samoa put them away with something to spare in the Pacific competition.

My concern is not a loss but injuries , a frustrated Tonga and you get someone smashed high/late etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Those off field things that Earls bring would definitely be a factor in squad selection. If they're picking between 2 players who are very close in ability and form, what they add outside of games will be a factor.

In the same way that there could be a really talented individual but they are a bit of a dickhead and can be disruptive in a squad environment. The coaches might decide that they aren't worth selecting despite their ability. Theres more to selecting a squad for a tournament than just the 80 minutes we get to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ireland v Tonga Lineup guess

JOB; Hansen or Earls, Ringrose or Henshaw, McCloskey, Lowe; Crowley, Murray; Porter, Kelleher, Bealham; Henderson (capt.), McCarthy; Baird, vdF, Doris

Reps:

Herring or Sheehan, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Ryan, Conan or POM, Casey, Sexton or Byrne, Henshaw or Aki.

Charles Piutau; Kyren Taumoefolau or Solomone Kata, Malakai Fekitoa, Pita Ahki, Fine Inisi; William Havili, Tane Takulua (capt.); Fe’ao Fotu’aika or Siegfried Fisi’ihoi, Samiuela Moli, Ben Tameifuna; Samiuela Lousi, Steve Mafi or Coleman; Solomone Funaki, Sione Havili, Vaea Fifita

Reps:

Siua Maile, Tau Koloamatangi, David Lolohea, Coleman or Steve Mafi, Tanginoa Halaifonua or Sione Vailanu, Augustine Pulu or Manu Paea, Otumaka Mausia, Solomone Kata or Kyren Taumoefolau.

• Advertisement

I've other wondered about the argument that a player brings off field advantage to the squad. From what we hear about Earls, he is generous in helping the other players coming through even though they're competing for his place.

Have they ever considered bringing a player as a consultant coach rather than a squad member? If they're that good in training, let them contribute in training and help the players bit not take a place in the squad. Are there rules about coaching staff to limit the numbers?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You aren't allowed have non-squad players involved at all.

I'd say you are allowed have as many coaches/support staff as you like.

However , I doubt Earls or anyone else would be able to be called a "coach" as long as they are an active player with a playing contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I really doubt Tonga will be targeting either this game (against world number 1 for a year) or SA game for wins. Of course they will play their best but they will be looking at other pool games for wins.

Yeah fair enough. I've wondered if they could bring an injured player to help with coaching too but if the contract is the issue then it makes sense why nobody does it. South Africa are big innovators (to put it diplomatically) with coaches running water and their traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

My prediction - JOB ahead of Hansen, Keenan keeps 15. Ringrose starts. Ryan ahead of McCarthy. Kilcoyne/Loughman ahead of Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's well known that your second paragraph is the precise reason John Hayes was left at home in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

Targeting the best team in the world over the other games isnt exactly a wise move.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its their first game out, theyve a full pack to select from. They haven't played in a month so have had great preparation for this game.

of course they are going to target it, and i would expect nothing else.

a good performance against us is the perfect prep for teh scotland game a week later.

now that being said, i still expect us to put a TBP on them and pull away in the last 20 to a 40 point victory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The point about him being on the bench in the final is a bit of a weird criticism especially when someone of the caliber of RG Snyman was also on the bench for a similar reason. Both of them were out injured for most of the season and not at the same rhythm as other players who had been playing together every week. It made sense to use them as impact players off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Bookies have us 36 points better than Tonga atm. Would be nice to beat them 2 weeks in a row. (we were -65 against Romania)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’ve asked for an example of the media hype, but you’ve given me a quote from a poster.

I honestly haven’t seen the media hype your talking about tbh. All the praise I’ve seen for Earls in the last few weeks, including his 100th cap and try etc. has been caveated that he’s a part of the squad

I don’t think I’ve heard a single pundit suggest he should be starting.

How is not playing for a month good preparation?

Overall it will come down to what Ireland want's, if they want to make another statement they could put 40 on them but if they want to win with ease but also keep an eye on SA they might win by less.

Quite a big handicap, I think we can beat it but it wouldnt surprised me if we are quite conservative and only win by 20-25 while we try to avoid injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ireland coaches saying they are going to pick their best side to face Tonga. Assume that means our best side minus a few that might be injured or fatigued.

I've been debating this lately and have been over and back with the Pros and Cons whether we should go with a weakened side for Tonga. When I look at that Tongan side now I don't think it's feasible to put out a weakened team for Tonga at all. They look very strong down the spine of their team.

I would be selecting a similar team to the one that faced Romania, possibly 5 changes max to the starting 15 and another few changes to the bench to spread around some game time and freshen it up a bit and reintroduce the injured players.

23 v Romania

(1-15) Porter (Off 51), Herring (Off 51), Furlong (Off 51), McCarthy, Ryan (Off 56), Beirne, O'Mahony, Doris (Off 56), Gibson-Park (Off 60), Sexton (Off 66), Lowe, Aki, Ringrose, Earls (Off 60), Keenan.

(16-23) Kelleher (On 51), Loughman (On 51), O'Toole (On 51), Henderson (On 56), Van der Flier (On 56), Murray (On 60), Crowley (On 66), Hansen (On 60).

My guess at a possible 23 v Tonga; introducing Henderson, Baird and Van der Flier to the starting pack and McCloskey and Hansen to the backline, and Sheehan, Kilcoyne, Bealham, Conan and Henshaw to the bench.

(1-15) Porter, Herring, Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, Baird, Van der Flier, Doris, Gibson-Park, Sexton, Lowe, McCloskey, Ringrose, Hansen, Keenan.

(16-23) Sheehan, Kilcoyne, Bealham, Beirne, Conan, Murray, Crowley, Henshaw.

My thinking here is that the front row only played 51 minutes against Romania so could do with another hit out before facing the formidable South African front row. Beirne and McCarthy played the full 80 so Henderson and Ryan are a solid cohesive pairing and should be fresher than the other two. Our back row could use a fresh injection as Beirne and O'Mahony exerted themselves for the full 80, and Baird should be champing at the bit for this one, Van der Flier only got 24 minutes against Romania and could use another run out before the South African test, and Doris went off early against Romania and should be fresh to start.

I would start most of the same backline except for resting Aki (he was on fire the last day!) for McCloskey and starting Hansen instead of Earls. Perhaps if O'Brien is available he might start instead of Lowe, but only if he's raring to go.

Mouthwatering fixture, can't wait!

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Conan not training with the squad today. Looks like he's out of contention. Henshaw is touch and go me thinks don't think they push a hamstring issue. AKI, hansen, Porter, McCarthy doing visiting duties this week which makes me believe they might not be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

What's the latest on the Sheehan injury? is he fit for Tonga game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I expect that 20 point margin will be closer to the mark.

I don't think Sexton, JGP, Keenan, Beirne, Ryan or Aki should or need to be starting. They all looked to be in fine fettle and their backups really should now start this game.

I could imagine a fit and fired up Tonga that has spent a month preparing could be a rough day at the office.

But I think there are a couple of presumptions there and I'll wait and see how the opening 20 go at the weekend before getting myself worked up about possibilities.

I felt the Samoa game was a dress rehearsal for a second string outfit to take on Tonga. I suspect how disjointed we were against Samoa might have had an impact on what was a preferred selection for this game but then again we've no idea what kind of shape Tonga will show up in.

Worrying that Conan still isn't back in the mix - I wonder at this point is his World Cup in jeopardy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If Conan is indeed not available then perhaps O'Mahony to bench instead I suppose.

If Henshaw isn't fully right then I wouldn't chance it, O'Brien instead for the 23 jersey, so I'd guess:

(1-15) Porter, Herring, Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, Baird, Van der Flier, Doris, Gibson-Park, Sexton, Lowe, McCloskey, Ringrose, Hansen, Keenan.

(16-23) Sheehan, Kilcoyne, Bealham, Beirne, O'Mahony, Murray, Crowley, O'Brien.

The fit players that may not get a run out would be Casey and Byrne. For Conan and Henshaw they'd have an extra week for South Africa and an extra 3 weeks for Scotland, and we know they are quality players that can start if needed so I'd say the coaches will keep them in the squad unless they are ruled definitely not fit to play in the next 4 weeks or so.

Advertisement