Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Problem with the hoofball vs play football argument is that we have tried the entertaining football stuff under Kenny and it looks like the players are not up to the job. They are simply not good enough to play passing football and yet win matches against decent teams (too many journeymen and bog standard Championship players).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Yes and what's especially damming is that it's easier now than ever to qualify for major tournaments. 24 teams qualify for the Euros. That's a huge amount. A basic requirement should be at least getting to the playoffs. It really shows how far we've fallen under Kenny. I think we're going to be around 56th in the World after the latest rankings are released. He took over when we were 34th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not sure if this has been posted but Aidan Fitzmaurices line on Carsely is encouraging to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

I was at that game, they hit the post a number of times too. It was a very common sight to see "lesser" opposition come to the aviva and dictate play under them. Matt Doherty blasted the coaching set up in those days.

Georgia dominated possession in both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They really looked fantastic and I thought they'd go on to become a decent team in Europe at that stage, but it was mostly down to how bloody awful we were under the MON regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That's a very poor list. Back to the future with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Kenny is utterly out of his depth and is consistently outsmarted by his opposition coach. Yes, what he was trying to do was commendable, but he didn't really achieve it to any degree.

We're becoming less attractive as a job prospect for whoever the next manager might be, and in combination with out comparatively limited buget, we'll be reduced to either a 'decent track record but past their best' like Hughton, or a gamble on a relatively unknown and untested manager, or an ex-Irish international like Roy Keane.

As well as that, in terms of recruitment of new Irish internationals who have elegibility for more than one team, recent results wouldn't be helping to get them to lean in our direction.

Some of it was poor and when he lost the dressing room it was horrendous. The thing is, Kenny is only comparable to when O'Neill lost the dressing room. Under O'Neill we had some great results and performances. Beating Germany, Italy and Austria away being the highlights. And the performance against France at the Euros was excellent. We'd kill to go back to that level now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

At least it's looking less likely to be Roy Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

I'm laughing at all the "Anthony Barry was a football genius" posts! Come on, no one mentioned him back when decisions had to be made. If we're going for 20/20 hindsight stuff, can I add that we should have gone all out to get Kane, Phillips, Rice and Grealish so that's where we really failed?

• Advertisement

It is apart from Lee Carsley. If he doesn't want then you would start to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Kenny was out of his depth form day one, His tenure has been an absolute joke ,

I don't think so, we were really good on Sunday in the first half, I just don't think our players are fit enough to keep that kind of intensity going. The fact we produced 45 mins like that says to me the dressing room most def isn't lost. It'll be interesting to see what the next manager gets out of them, but I don't think it'll be much more.

Endless strawman arguments! It really shows how weak your argument is. Anthony Barry is a very good coach, we're not sure of him as a manager obviously but compare Ireland under Kenny prior to when Barry came in to what happened after. It wasn't perfect but an improvement on where we were. Remember, before Barry came on board, we hadn't won a match under Kenny and only scored 1 goal!

In fairness, it can't be much less! And I doubt the next manager will have many people defending the absolutely terrible results and performances!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was very noticeable that we suddenly started playing well once Barry joined the team and the results went downhill as soon as he left (definite hints that Kenny was / is the weak link in the chain).

I'm not defending it, we're still sh*te, I just don't think another manager will do any better with this squad of players. Maybe a firing Evan Ferg will change things, but look at Norway, a couple of worldies and they're still not qualifying for anything.

On the other hand, look at Scotland. They were in a mess under Alex McLeish. Nowhere near qualification. Steve Clarke comes in and completely turns things around. Look at then now, qualifying automatically for a major tournament. It shows what a decent manager can do. Steve Clarke has been in charge for a similar spell to Kenny. We've gone in opposite directions.

They have in form McGinn, Gilmour and McTominay is on fire for Scotland at the moment, they're way ahead of us with that midfield.

I hope you're right about a new manager getting better results, they probably will though as we've had so much bad luck and this group is ridiculous.

3rd place gets you a playoff though.

I'd firmly expect a new manager to get better results based on football logic rather than luck. They won't turn us into world beaters but i'd fully expect them to get us competitive again the likes of Greece and Serbia. I'd fully expect them to beat Luxembourg twice and Azerbaijan and Armenia twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why is the manger asking them to play like that if they are not capable of doing it without drastically tiring ,

,Kenny is awful there's no way around it,

We play good football is a myth we play it around at the back & deep in midfield but once we try to build on that we lose the ball ,

Good football is when you get results , anything else is just fluff ,

I think Scotland have better players but we're actually not that bad! Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Cullen, Ogbene, Ferguson are all Premier League players with Bazunu being there recently, Coleman and Doherty still hanging around. Omobamidele got a premier League move. Then others are upper championship players with a good opportunity to get into the Premier League. Molumby, Knight, Obefami, Smallbone, Connolly. And there are other players getting close to a breakthrough. And a few playing around Europe.

The word seems to be that Carsley will be approached. Would be worth a go I suppose but still a risk. Still, it's not the poisoned chalice that some would want us to believe. It may be possible that we just had an awful manager.

Bazanu had a bad season last year and continues to this year. Doherty can't get a game to save his life for a long time, O'Shea not doing well this season, Collins dropped by Brentford, Cullen has been useless for club and country. Ogbene has played what, 30 minutes this season?

None of them are great.

This is the negative attitude that has come from Kenny's reign. People used to talk about managers running down our players and it was their fault for not getting the best out of them. Now it's the opposite. These are good players we have. Our squad is much stronger than painted. Players have ups and downs in form but we have enough to be competing for qualification. Right now we're competing to not come bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Should have given Vera the job.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

The difference in our list and the Scotland list is a lot of their top players are in Midfield and are experienced premiership pros. How many times do we pass it sideways or backwards and then it goes forward and comes straight back because our midfielders are in general athletic workers not passers and definitely not scorers. McTominay and McGinn both have a goal in them especially at international level. Gilmour looks like the exact type of midfielder we need to knit everything together. Add to that Tierney and Robertson who are similar to Coleman and Doherty were maybe 4 years ago. The key with a lot of our players is they are only starting their careers and not many are established at club level as definite starters every week and certainly not in premier league teams with no chance of being relegated like Gilmour and McGinn (McT is obviously a squad player for United but has started a lot of games for them).

I had a lot of time for Kenny but feel he is finished now and definitely doesn't help himself with his terrible interviews and poor game management at times but the average age of the list of Irish players you have above is probably 23 which is extremely young especially at international level. There was no way around having to have a few years of giving these players experience unless you wanted to stick with the likes of Hendrick, Randolph, Hogan, James Collins etc

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

Instead she got the road because apparently getting to the World Cup wasn't good enough. When you look at Trap getting a contract extension before a Euros where we stank out Poland and went home to lose 1-6 to Germany.

We want it all, managers who will get paid peanuts to get very average players playing good football to get us into international tournaments. And even when they do, that might not be good enough.

It's true to an extent. Trap and MON were slated for playing a certain way and pointing out that they didn't think they had the players available to them to out football Germany or Italy or the bigger teams.

Now LOI Boy is in charge it's all the players fault. They aren't there are Kenny is doing the best anyone would with a poor group. Which isn't true.

No, the difference in the list does not explain why Scotland are topping their group while we're close to the bottom. The standard of each squad is not that far apart. That's down to the abilities of the managers in charge of both.

McCarthy only had the likes of Hendrick, Randolph etc and look at his results. Kenny has had far more options and some of the best players coming through in a generation. It's only doom and gloom because Kenny has been an utter failure. Things would be looking up under a decent manager.

Hopefully Carsley is that man. He is completely unproven at senior level but we need to stop running down our players in order to defend an inept manager. Scotland didn't say we couldn't beat Spain, let's give up before the group began while some have painted Holland as untouchable.

• Advertisement

The question has to be asked, how did Kenny manage to get a new contract after the World Cup qualifying disaster?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement