Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't think they can, as he;s not convicted of anything.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

They have different holding areas, the progression unit is a training unit for those preparing for release.

Its not meant to be for remand prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He is a number and the number is 6 - so if he gets chucked in a third tims it'll be 666.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No matter what any of us think about Enoch he is definitely true to his beliefs and going to prison a second time doesn't seem to make him change his mind. Mad and all as we think they are they are still sticking to their guns. Martyrs to the cause. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in their house to hear the conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

All he has to do is purge his contempt and stop hassling school children. So he's in prison by choice so I couldn't care less if he's doing time with hardened criminals, if anything I feel sorry for the criminals having to put up with him...

Post edited by eightieschewbaccy on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He is sticking to his beliefs that's right, but his beliefs are based on him being better than everyone else.

There's nothing to be admired here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You might be. Whenever anyone goes into a prison an assessment is done to see if they are at risk or if they pose a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I said it early on he wants to be the martyr, he wants to create noise. The fines are an irrelevance to Burke, jail is welcomed by Burke. He is doing this in the name of a cause. Considering the subject matter it is ironic.

As it is a cause that his own identity is wrapped up in his own religious beliefs. In his view he would not be true to himself, and how he identifies himself.

But in doing so how now made it extremely difficult for more sane voices to ask questions about the viability/practicalities and myriad of other issues of the supposed route cause of the issue at hand. Such as mental health, body image, psychology, confusion over sexuality and so on, even the simple use of everyday language for childen/adults/people - all this will be put on the back burner.

Because in Ireland any individual who attempts to even debate the issue will be called an 'Enoch Burke'. And discussion will be shut down.

It will completely negate any future discussion as a result, and instead people will nod and smile politely playing the game instead, just to be nice not wanting to cause any controversy wether they believe in the root cause or not.

But it is not be built on any solid foundations in my opinion. Which is more the pity.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Are ye gettin a bit soft in yer old age there Leg End? 😀

Funny, your post did actually resonate with me- I certainly don’t want to see any harm coming to him. I do feel sorry for him, simply because we know he’s a product of a life of sheltered indoctrination towards a belief system that is completely at odds with the 21st century western environment he finds himself living in.

Maybe he can turn his efforts towards becoming a prisoner advocate or working to improve conditions for people less fortunate than himself- it would be in congruence with his belief system and might be the making of him yet. A further masters in social policy might be the way to go- a sort of road to Damascus moment in reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Can't we just leave in Mountjoy or one of the other prisons until he purges his contempt?

If he doesn't... leave him there .. he'll soon be forgotten except by his cult like family and other ultra conservatives...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’d like to see him in Shelton Abbey or Loughran House. I wonder would he try an escape to get back to standing outside Wilson’s from these low security places?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

Much as I'd like to agree, there's unintended consequences to that approach.

Our prisons are at capacity, which means it's likely some other scumbag who beats up and robs an old lady will be given a suspended sentence, and let back out on the streets to continue scumbagging, as there will be no place in prison available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I don’t think anyone should effectively have to serve a life sentence for contempt of court.

He should be just tried for his contempt of court and if found guilty, given a sentence and serve it.

Its a failing of the judicial system that if you don’t acquiesce you’ve no other avenue. People should have the right to completely disagree with court decisions. But the court shouldn’t have the power to detain people indefinitely, which is what it is happening in effect here.

Now, if he was to stand outside the school after getting released, (presumably an order would be sought to keep him over a kilometre away from the school) that is his choice and he should be arrested again and everytime he breaks that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

If anyone is wondering why someone has been allowed to defy injunctions laid down by a court of law for so long with no repercussions (fines were an easy way out) the answer is simple.

While it is true that Mr. Burke was imprisoned for breaking the injunctions set over his behaviour at the school this cannot be divorced from the original cause of his behaviour, his belief that a boy cannot turn into a girl. With so many thugs/criminals/feral scrotes with hundreds of convictions walking the streets because there are no spaces left in the prisons the last thing the Authorities wanted is to have him back in prison. However, they now had no choice when the school finally decided enough was enough.

If ever a "cause" was handled very badly this is it. All Mr. Burke had to do, when the original instruction was given to teachers re the pupil in question, was to go quietly to the Head and explain that he would not be complying because he didn't agree with the idealogy and his religious beliefs didn't concur either........and then leave the room quietly. The ball was then firmly back in the school's court. The issue would not be in the public domain because they wouldn't have dared to sack him over that. I could be wrong but, if memory serves me correctly, the pupil was not even in a class he taught?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The likely sequence will be that his appeal against his dismissal is heard and rejected meaning that he will officially no longer be employed by the school.

The original court order which I believe essentially says "Stay away from the school while your suspension is dealt with" becomes moot as his employment has been terminated.

The school will then apply for and get a barring order preventing him from turning up at the school - Breach of a barring order is a criminal offence and not civil/contempt so it changes the game.

Enoch gets let out of Prison as his contempt effectively will have lapsed , but now if he turns up to the school with the barring order in place , the school simply call the Gardai and he gets arrested on the spot. He goes to court and given his history the judge will give him the maximum available sentence - Probably 90 days or similar.

Rinse and repeat with escalating stays in Jail for as long as he keeps doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd love to know what dialogue took place between the headmistress of the school and Enoch after the main incident when he heckled her. Did she challenge his beliefs or just dismiss them? Has anyone challenged his beliefs? Is he the type of person that you could have a discussion with? The fact that he was described by many as a great teacher and had gone through all his training and college without any trouble doesn't really fit in with his reaction to this school directive on how the transgender child was to be treated.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The core of all of this is that there is no challenging their beliefs.

They have an unshakeable confidence in their opinion that theirs is the ONLY way and that any deviation from their way is an offence against God.

Right from the very start of this, his entire mindset is that he is absolutely categorically 100% correct and as such any and all actions taken against him subsequently are not just incorrect but invalid and to be ignored completely because he is right and they are wrong.

It's why he shouted at his boss at a public event , it's why he simply refuses to acknowledge the validity of the school disciplinary process and it's why he keeps turning up at the school - He truly believes that the scales will fall from everyones eyes one morning and he will be vindicated and his life will return to whence it was without any repercussions.

As to what triggered his initial reaction? Who knows?

Given that we are told that there was already a Transgender pupil in the school the previous year that doesn't seem to have set him off who knows what happened - Maybe Mammy hadn't heard about the earlier student and he made the mistake of mentioning this new issue over Sunday prayers at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I posted an IT article of him protesting outside of the Dail about 10 years ago along with his family - reading the reported quotes from Enoch will give you an idea of just what he’s capable of saying - don’t have time to find it right now but if you think hell fire and brimstone for homosexuals along with inferences to AIDS and whatnot and you’ll get the picture

here it is

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/small-voices-that-go-unheard-1.620163

• Advertisement

The only person who has handled this badly was EB, and the original cause of his behaviour is homophobia and transphobia.

This case is NOT a transgender issue.

In all this debate about EB, it seems to be forgotten that the students involved have rights too, including the right to self-determination, and that this was not the first request of its type for a student of WHS.

A similar request was made for another student six months previously, in December 2021. WHS has an inclusive policy and is obliged to comply with the Equal Status Acts, part of which is not to discriminate on grounds of gender.

Aside for his appalling behaviour, part of the reason EB was suspended in August 2022 was because he refused to give the Board of WHS a reassurance on how he would behave around these students. Much like he stubbornly refused to answer Justice Heslin in court last Friday evening, when asked - 3 times - if he would finally comply with the HC injunction ordering him to stay away from WHS. That was his "get out of jail" card. He turned it down, and much like how he gave WHS no choice, he gave the HC no choice but to send him back to prison.

He may have once been a good teacher, but if he cannot respect his students, or the Courts of the land, then he has no place in a classroom.

He is the master of his own fate, and has no one to blame but himself - and his family - for encouraging him in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

I guess that the core issue is that the family believe that their beliefs override the rule of law in the state so as someone mentioned before we are going to be in a "rince and repeat" cycle. Probably with more family members going down the same path...

I often get the feeling with this family that one will eventually break away from their brainwashed existence and perhaps things may change then...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does he get to wear his suit and tie in prison or does he get a scraggy grey trackie to fit in with his peers?.

I wish someone would buy him a new tie. I'm so sick of the stripey one. I've only once seen him wear a different tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and deprive somebody who has actually earned a place there? I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

He likes standing outside in all weathers so maybe he could camp?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

……

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Part of the problem is that the court has two mechanisms that it can use to enforce orders. Fines and imprisonment. We need to have greater leeway in this.

• Advertisement

Advertisement