Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do about a Labourer entering a room without reason?

Options
  • 12-09-2023 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm having some work done in my Living Room and got a local lad to do it.

He's a fierce nice lad and is very well-regarded in the area, so I asked him to do the work while I was away on holiday.

I have a series of "RING" cameras outside and one indoors. I put the indoor one in my bedroom while I was going away to as I have my Gun Safe in that room and if there was going to be a break-in, that's the only thing of genuine value in the house and would possibly have the best chance of identifying a culprit.

I went away on holiday as the work was being done, and when away, I got a motion alarm from the camera in my main bedroom and it was the labourer.

He stood around and then decided to go through some stacks of clothes, and off he went. He took nothing but he still shouldn't have been in there.

Any idea what I should do about it?

Thanks in advance,

IL

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

Maybe lock your bedroom door next time? You said it yourself, nothing was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

id wait for him to complete the work , then when hes looking for payment tell him you want a sizeable discount for him being a nosey little kernt going through your stuff in your room.

He was probably looking for something to swipe .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

You took the principal risk in having someone do work in your house when you were away. If the work has been done and no damage or other problems are apparent, that should be that. There's such a thing as natural human curiosity and while I wouldn't condone what the guy did, you'd be making an issue out of very little if you took this further with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brokenbad

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish Lion

I'm not looking for discount but an explanation would be nice and there are no locks on any of the door internally so that will change in the next few weeks.

I suppose the question should be, would "you" be happy to have this labourer working in your house?

It may very well not be his first time doing this or maybe it was? impossible to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brokenbad

I would never leave anyone working inside my property (known or unknown) unless i was present. While this guy didn't "take" anything - the fact that he was in your bedroom when he had no business being there doesn't excuse this behaviour. It is a breach of trust and an invasion of privacy. I would definitely confront him about it - but only after the work in your living room is complete to your satisfaction and BEFORE you have paid him.

I unfortunately agree and it was my own naivety that I put trust in these guys.

We will probably have a chat but I can't see anything come of it... I'll pay him for his work because to be fair, it's very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

I hired a guy years ago to do a job in hallway, stairs, anyways I knew he came with other workmen and I had to be at work, couldn't stay there with them all day. However a friend of mine told me one of the workmen was known for rooting through all drawers in houses particularly underwear ones if he got the chance! He didn't take anything as such just got his kicks from it! I have locks on all my inside doors so locked everything bar bathroom/kitchen before they arrived.

Sure enough my friend heard back through the grapevine that 'the auld bit*h' locked all her doors, he wouldn't have known that if he hadn't tried them! Sometimes it's unavoidable leaving someone working in the house but all rooms not needed should be locked no matter how much you trust them, protects everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Sorry, but that's bonkers. A fella, doing work elsewhere in a house, goes into his client's bedroom and goes through their clothes while the client is away.

And pulling them up on their "natural human curiosity" would be "making an issue out of very little"?

I always thought I had no more than an average sense of privacy but I'm fairly flabbergasted by some of the reactions here.

I've done jobs in people's houses before and if I'd ever seen anyone working for me going through a client's personal effects, I'd have fucked them out on their ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

He clearly shouldn't have done it but think abuot what will come of you confronting him. What will you get from it. You will be unable to use a good local tradesperson, which are very hard to come by. You also may be bad mounthed by him to other tradespeople.

Propbably best to just mention to him that you got alerts about movement in the room from your alarm system and ask if anyone called around while he was there. Perhaps say then you must check the security cameras and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

You shouldn't agree, that post was blatant victim blaming.

He entered a private area and went through personal property for absolutely no reason. That's not a good local worker, that's a creep that hasn't been caught before

I think your sentiments are what my initial thoughts were but it seems like regardless of what he did, any action on my behalf would have negative repercussions on getting my house done the way I want it.

My initial reaction was to splash it all over Social Media and embarrass the hell out of the lad. I was under the impression that it would make other Tradesmen in the locality think about hiring him for a job, but most people seem to think that he would receive pity from the masses and that I would end up being blacklisted by Tradesmen.

Doesn't seem right to me and as an employer, I would like to know if one of my employees was doing something like that and remove the risk of him doing something that would make me lose my reputation of being trustworthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Yoiu would be better off to say nothing. You had no consent from him to have a camera on him when he was working. If you confront him, you wont be able to get him for work again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The camera was in the bedroom, the man was working in the living room. There was no camera on him while he was working.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't be going on holidays letting strangers work in your house. The end. Move on. Putting it on social media would be absolutely bizarre and probably illegal you've no camera signage and he could probably sue you handly enough.

Suggest parking this moving on and not go on holidays with strangers having access to your home. Yes that's extremely naive and not victim blaming it's common sense.

There's an awful lot of this 'I'm a victim' these days. There's no victim here some flute went somewhere he shouldn't be. A true victim suffers. This isn't that so I despise the term being absolute abused at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Is the fella gonna say "I didn't consent to being filmed when I was caught on camera sneaking into your bedroom and rummaging through your belongings looking for money to steal and knickers to sniff! I am outraged"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

As this is a legal discussion thread....is this not the inchoate crime of attempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I was not intending to "victim-blame". I was counselling some restraint rather than jumping in without thinking things through. Obviously there are people with other views and it's up to the OP which tack he/she takes.

Like others, I would not as a rule have tradespersons working in my house while we are away, but sometimes that's unavoidable. A few years ago we had our house rewired and had no choice but to get out for a week while the work was under way. Having established to our satisfaction that the people doing the job were trustworthy, we let them get on with it. We ensured that valuables were removed from the house and stored elsewhere but whether they poked around in the place, we will never know. We haven't got, nor do we feel the need for, cameras or other gizmos that allow us to monitor things in and around the house.

• Advertisement

I’m have chosen a response.

I’ve called both the contractor and the labourer and explained the situation. The labourer first totally denied any wrongdoing but when I told him I had a recording he quickly changed his tune. He begged for forgiveness and I told him out straight that forgiveness was not on table.

The contractor was also in denial so I asked him to call to me earlier this evening. I showed him the recording and he got very irate, not with me, but with his labourer. He called him on the spot and asked him to come over. The labourer refused. Things got very heated on their call. He ended the call quite abruptly.

The contractor apologised and said that he’d call to me tomorrow evening after he sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So the fella gets fired. At least you have the moral high ground to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Here... your OP has no mention of a contractor. The story has changed??

You advised "I'm having some work done in my Living Room and got a local lad to do it. He's a fierce nice lad and is very well-regarded in the area, so I asked him to do the work while I was away on holiday."

That paints one picture of a local chap with a good reputation. Now you're saying the work was done through a contractor and this lad was only a labourer for them??

Maybe the contractor is the local lad?? Confusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The other conclusion may be that it's a bull***t story.

Apologies for the confusion. There is no contractor. It’s just a local lad that does building jobs and labourer works for him. This thread is running on several forums, I’m getting turned around with other peoples phrasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭nachouser

I read Labourer as Labrador and thought to myself, this should be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭nachouser

They're tricky beasts.

Advertisement