Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭rrs

Should be the way up to the County final. The All Ireland final would have had Extra time had it been level this year. then a reply if level after extra time, instead of penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

What’s the alternative unless they change the system? There’s a huge variance between the likes of Knockbride & Arva playing Div 1 football and then the Mighty MacFinns who haven’t won a game in over a decade.

I’m no fan of the county board but it’d be great if sometimes people tried to offer a solution rather than just picking out the problem.

The senior championship hasn’t been good this year but that’s because I think the game went too far with attempts at elitism - a lot of club teams want their players to act like intercounty lads. Players will only put up with that for so long.

They could have left it the way it was and use score difference it was good enough for last 10 years or so and us good enough for the other championships.

Also they need to link the leagues with the championship Division 1 teams should not be playing Junior championship.

Are them solutions acceptable to you?

Score difference isn’t fair because any team who plays Maghera has a huge advantage as they run up a big score - it had been shown over the years.

I wouldn’t agree re linking League to Championship. Knockbride are junior because they haven’t been able to get out of it for successive years - no more than Ballyhaise at intermediate.

In fairness to them, I think the best solution is what WAC suggested. 4 groups of ten.

Although that still doesn’t get over the fact that some clubs need to amalgamate - particularly those in West Cavan and those amalgamating at underage. Dernacrieve for example is four clubs at some ages (Shannon Gaels, Corlough, Kildallan, Swad) yet they are still only in lower Divisions.

• Advertisement

Well league and championship grading is good enough for other counties and was done once in Cavan over 20 year's ago for some reason.

Maghera aren't the only whipping boys either kill and Corlough have been as bad as them this year.

Saying “oh it’s done in other counties” and “oh, it was done over 20 years ago” isn’t really a positive reason for changing the current system. League is League and Championship is Championship. If clubs are too good for their grade, they should be able to win it.

Maghera, Kill, Corlough - all clubs that amalgamate at juvenile. Hence back to a point I raised on here many moons ago that we’ve too many clubs.

So you’re actually agreeing with me re the variance in clubs and score difference at junior but then why say to go with the norm of score difference above? You’d make a good politician, covering all bases!

Sorry you have lost me I cannot make any sense out off that.

What’s confusing you? Try to use a little more than one sentence like a good lad.

I will use as many or as little sentences as aI like. I don't agree with you enough said from me good night.

• Advertisement

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

No I was stating that Maghera are not the only weak team and I stand by what I said score difference should be used its a hell off alot better than tossing coins and deciding positions depending on when teams were pulled out off a hat.

If you don't agree with me leave it at that my original post was a week ago I wonder why you have only took interest in it now?

Tossing coins is only used where two teams agree to it like, say, Knockbride and Arva - first or second place doesn’t really make any difference.

It’s further down the table where there are play offs that it is making a difference.

I hadn’t read the forum in a few days. As I said previously, there is only myself and one other poster who appear to be actually attending club games or paying any heed to them going on the lack of posts. Anything to add about actual games you’ve watched in the club championship yourself?

Cuchulainns playing Division 1 League football but can’t get out of the group in intermediate.

League is league, championship is championship.

You can get luck with draws in a championship. Gowna have played Lacken, Lavey and Castlerahan in the senior championship. All 3 will probably be in the relegation play offs.

Gowna haven't been playing well and without a few players. The game against Ramor means little

Cuchulainns havent played Division 1 in years.

They’ll be playing it next year.

Yes so they’re playing Division One football now but couldn’t make it out of intermediate group.

• Advertisement

Terrible tragedy in Castlerahan means one senior game cancelled.

Important wins for Laragh, Ballinagh and the Gaels today.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

Intermediate championship could go to any of the remaining 8 teams, but you could say the pressure is on in Ballyhaise to deliver this championship this year especially with cuchulains and the bridge gone.

Damien Donahoe seems to be on a commission to defend structure of the club championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Complete overhaul needed if we are to get anywhere with Cavan at Senior level.

I am firmly of the belief that the Kerry Style System is the way to go. What I would like to see is

Play your leagues as normal at the end of the league campaign

1) Those in Division one qualify for senior championship.

2) Division two and below can amalgamate and enter the senior championship.

3) Start the Senior Championship's in a group format. top two go through bottom two enter a shield competition.

4) Winners of the leagues go onto the Ulster Club championships unless a division one team wins the championship.

5) Could have a secondary championship amalgamated teams if numbers are there.

Our clubs have no interest in Amalgamations if that was to happen it would need to be completed before or after Junior and Intermediate championships to get any buy in.

I think Ulster Club representatives need to come from championship you can't nominate league winners.

It could work if organized right like in Kerry where junior and Intermediate is run of first. Cliffords club fossa won Junior last year and are in the Intermediate championship final.

There is clubs like Butlersbridge and Cuchullains who are finished for the year until the club league starts around April next year.

Cavan had a few amalgamation in the senior championship around 10 years ago. I think Blackwater Gaels were on.. played the senior championship on the Friday and with their club on Sunday which wasn't going to work

Galligan is saying the right things anyway, hopefully he puts them into practice.

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2023/09/12/heads-up-galligan-lays-out-his-philosophy-in-first-interview/

I don’t think Shercock, Ballymachugh or Killinkere can win it.

Denn or Cootehill are playing this weekend and I think the winner will be one of those two or Ballyhaise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

Kilinkere looks to be a very strong we’ll conditioned side that plays nice attacking football and are.very tenacious in the defence, I think they will be close to winning it.

Advertisement