Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

YOu cant use the fact that he missed it to say it was wrong to take time over it.

They needed 1 conversion, another unconverted try wouldnt have been enough.

So better to try to get the one you have, rather than rush it, miss it and then have an even harder option out on the wing somewhere imo.

The 30 seconds makes no difference anyway, they were always going to be trying to score the last try with the clock in the red.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They needed to get back into a position to actually score another try. They ended up getting the ball in their 22 with 1 minute left leaving them almost no options. It's a miracle the kick out from the 22 worked thanks to Williams' error and kicking it there was another weird decision as Wales could (and should) have quite easily eaten up the clock.

Regardless of whether they scored the kick, not taking it quickly was 100% the wrong call. You want to leave as much game clock as possible to get the ball back in a good position and more importantly leave yourself options as to how to do that - an extra minute is a lot in that scenario.

This is not unique to Fiji. Teams do this all the time especially when they need a try and a penalty. They spend far too much time trying to get the try instead of kicking the penalty and leaving time to get back up the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

On reflection, the ref call to blow the whistle when Fiji were marching Wales back at the rate of knots going towards the tryline seemed like a very poor call.

I thought the ref should just have raised his arm to indicate penalty coming and allowed Fiji to continue until they decided to stop it or not. Or am I missing something, are scrums not allowed play advantage? maybe there's a safety concern when a scrum is being shunted backwards like that.

I was shouting at the TV at that moment, I thought the ref should have awarded a penalty try and a yellow card for that one, or else allowed the scrum to keep pushing as long as they controlled the ball.

Or maybe there was something else I missed, did the number 8 knock it on or anything?

That moment in the match was with about 10 minutes to go so the penalty try worth 7 points would have really set them up to go on and win.

They scored a try and converted it 3 minutes later, but that was a valuable 3 minutes and energy that they could have saved.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

30 seconds was never going to make any difference though!

They were always, always going to be scoring their last try with the clock in the red. So the time on the clock made no difference.

Whether they are 30 seconds into the red or 90 makes no difference. Its sudden death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'd forgotten that, yes really annoyed me too.

Carley put his arm out, Fiji marched on another few metres, then he blew for no reason at all. If anything I thought he decided to save Welsh blushes if they'd conceded from a scrum 10 metres out. It was really poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

How is anyone watching back through any of the matches, without recording them at the time or catching a replay? Replays found on YouTube are useless, leaving out a lot of key moments, and I've noticed that a lot of rugby analysts on Twitter are getting DCMA warnings when trying to analyse key moments using video clips.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If your computer "happens to be in the UK" you can use the ITV player - They have all of the games available in full there.

The Virgin Media app has the Ireland game available for replay as well.

Yes, they were always going to be scoring in the red. But the key point is that they need to be in possession when the clock turns 80. Restarting with 2 minutes vs restarting with 1 minute materially affects your options for accomplishing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Wasn't there also the yellow card timer was ticking down, so that when he took the conversion it lapsed and the Welsh player was able to come on for the kick-off. Had the conversion been taken about 10 or 20 seconds quicker I think Wales would have started with 14 when kicking off after the conversion attempt.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Moving backwards is not a penalty. Wales must have popped up or dropped, both of which can be dangerous situations to keep pushing in

Scottish pal tells me that Scottish rugby social media has gone extremely pessimistic. Totally flat after the weekend.

You would wonder where Scotlands headspace will be by round 4.

Not surprised. I'd say they were quietly seriously targeting that game.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

France team for Uruguay already announced. Complete second string

GROS-BOURGARIT-ADIGHERI

WOKI-TAOFIFENUA

BOUDEHENT-JELONCH-MACALOU

LUCU-HASTOY

VILLIERE-MOEFANA-VINCENT-BIELLE_BIARREY

JAMINET

MAUVAKA, WARDI, FALATEA, CHALUREAU, FLAMENT, CROS, COUILLOUD, RAMOS

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A lot will depend on how we have gone against SA.

If we get a result they will be under massive massive pressure - They'll be looking at needing Bonus points wins etc. to possibly qualify.

Ireland get a win vs SA and we are sitting on 14/15 points going to Scotland game , SA are sitting on 14/15 and Scotland will be on 10.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

You can set up a free account on RugbyPass and get decent 10 or 15 minute highlights there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Les organisateurs de la Coupe du monde abandonnent les hymnes chantés en canon

Objet d'un tombereau de critiques, l'interprétation polyphonique des hymnes par des chorales d'enfants a été réarrangée et réorchestrée, notamment pour éliminer l'effet chant en canon. World Rugby laissera le choix à chaque fédération : soit cette version 2 avec les enfants, soit un retour à l'hymne classique.

Yes! Back to traditional anthems unless the union (for some weird reason) prefers the children’s a capella version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

They'll be very disappointed with that performance from a couple of angles. actually I have no idea what they thought would happen. SA played how they play, ferocious linseed to undermine half back decision making and continuity, etc. but Russell played right onto it and didn't adjust at all. Example was SA's cross field kick try, Scotland had been plugging away in the SA half but going backwards on every phase as defense got into Russell's channels, on turn over the South Africans moved down the field and within a few phases went for the kick once the wide space opened up. Russell had had several similar opportunities in the earlier sequence but didn't take them. Like Ireland in 2019, plan A has to work.

• Advertisement

ferocious linseed to undermine half back decision making

The didn't cut them any flax at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I think commentators generally make a bigger effort to be impartial than they used to. Obviously, at the WC their words are going to be heard by many neutrals beyond their own country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So kriel not cited and curry banned for two games. These decisions make no sense to me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

These deep fakes are getting more and more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Curry seems hard done by. However, it’s a new area in rugby. I think it’s inevitable that there will be a fair bit of inconsistency.

I’m beginning to wonder about contested high balls at all at this stage. If only the defence were allowed to jump and had to be given space when landing, it would cut down on the frequency of injuries per catch and also on the number of such balls launched. Alternatively, no jumping?

It's a load of utter ****. None of those incidents deserve a red card if we're being any way honest. The Chile one particularly. Japanese player runs into him, he's not even tackling there. Just play on and actually ref the dangerous **** like diving into rucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

No jumping would be a real loss as it is such a fantastic skill and also a massive tactical defensive weapon. I actually think there are way less clumsy challenges and very few injuries (I've seen) from people clattering into jumpers since they started hading out red cards. It's one of the big successes of the effort to reduce injuries. I know we've seen a few already in the World Cup but 2 of those were Will Jordan who I think was just having a really bad day.

I think they still need to outlaw jumping up and tipping the ball backwards. Either you're attempting to catch the ball, or you're not.

Arendse gets away with charging into contact under a high ball and just sticking an arm up to legitimise an attempt at winning the ball. It's incredibly dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I'd argue he throws a hand up to legitimise getting a hit in on the player in the air and trying to make them cough up a turnover. He's never actually trying to win the ball himself. He's gotten away with it for ages now, and he's going to hurt some one badly at some stage.

Don't know about outlawing tip backs from a jump though.

Advertisement