Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny Glynn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Set an example. Lifetime ban required. There's plenty younger lads in the club would be delighted to take his place.

The issue is relatively simple..if this happened on the street he would be up on criminal charges...

It needs to be treated in the strongest of manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dazza181

I don't think they would get the same exposure. Im sure there's loads of bad acts in every country every weekend but I don't see threads on boards with just lads full names being called scum, feral etc.

I am sure there are and those acts should be treated consistently

Yes I 100% agree that it needs to be treated in the strongest of matters and I'm sure he'll get a long ban but I just don't like this sort of thread where a lad will just get abused.

• Advertisement

Sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you.

You feel sorry for a guy who physically assaulted someone?

How about feeling sorry for the victim.

Sticks and stones....

https://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/others/irish-immigrants-suicide-exposes-all-thats-wrong-with-online-media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Show me somebody choking out an innocent man on the street on a Saturday night and I will show you a feral scumbag who should be arrested.

Are you suggesting that this guy committed suicide because of what he was called in the media?

I don't really know why people take their own lives, but I doubt very much it's a single factor but based on mental illness of one form or another taking place over time.

I'd probably suggest the attitude that sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you is a good one to live by....

Again, this level of violence should have no place in the GAA or any sport for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Were not talking about lower levels for other sports though, are we? This was a televised game, and the perpetrator is an All Ireland winner.

Dominic Robertson McCoy got a 12 week ban, and hasn't done anything similar since

Roy Keane got 8 matches for his tackle on Haaland.

Both sports are making, and have made huge efforts to protect players.

GAA doesn't look to be making any effort to rid the game of this pointless machoism, and thuggery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Also, it has to be said, these types of chokes are illegal in mma. That’s how dangerous they are. Rear chokes and side chokes with arm are allowed. Even then you release on tapping. But just straight choking someone and pulling their head forward as a double choke (cutting off blood flow to the brain)… and not releasing on the taps… really scary stuff for someone. A fighter may not gouge their fingers or thumb into their opponent's neck or trachea in an attempt to submit their opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

We're moving the goalposts a bit here. With regards to rugby just because they're sanctioning the likes of reckless clear-outs in the ruck doesn't mean they've been reduced. There's always going to be dirty acts committed so long as sports are full contact. Your point was that GAA exclusively is where dangerous acts occur. That's just not true and comes across as somebody with a bone to pick with GAA.

I do however agree not enough is being done in GAA and we're also at a point where potential referees are understandably walking away from the game because of abuse. That's absolute just criticism and it's far too often that appeals for dirty acts that do get awarded bans are overturned anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

No, my point was that GAA is a dirty sport, and is making any effort to clean itself up. It seems to actively encourage it.

All other main stream sports are trying to make themselves safer, and better role models for young fans.

Every sport has risks attached to them, as every sport has humans taking part. People can have moments of rage, and do something extremely dangerous.

The GAA should be out in front of this story, and investigating it. As far as I can tell from online outlets, it's up to the Galway GCC to decide if further punishment is required. That's crazy. If the GAA wanted to clean themselves up, they'd have an independent board review all of these issues of violence, and suspending players/coaches/fans. Until that happens, the sport will remain a dirty sport

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

As someone said above where were your man's team mates, Glynn should have been cleaned out by whatever means possible and it would have been a better lesson than any ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

This is a discussion thread and is gaa related so yes there is a benefit for discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

I agree and the refs have a lot of answer for as it permeates right down to underage. This year alone I've witnessed 3 "tackles" (better described as assaults) on underage players where the only intention was to hurt the opposing player and the ref didn't even issue a card. Its basically condoning the intention to hurt opposition players and giving a green light for it to continue. An officials primary job when he takes the field is the protection of the participants, but most seem more interested calling for steps than dealing with assaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

One game ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Such a lame sport at times. 1 game for a seriously dangerous thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭brokenbad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That's absolutely bollocks. Ardrahan will likely be out of championship anyways but even by optics they've completely weaseled out of making a tough call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

That's not great from Galway CB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

He actually appealed which was turned down!!!!!! How Glynn or the club felt an appeal was going to achieve anything is beyond me.

I put that in as a joke - seeing that the one match ban was just that....wonder how the guy he tried to strangle feels about it??

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

This is really the most pathetic excuse for that behaviour, which is trotted out every time this happens.. the amateur player defence.. same thing happened with the Tiernan McCanna dropping like a sack of spuds, and the Armagh guy who eye gouged the Galway lad last year. If he did the same thing on the street, it'd be a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Feel sorry for Morrissey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

It's probably the biggest issue in the GAA. The lack of protection and disciplinary action is disgraceful. Skilfull players getting battered to death by hachetmen and its just accepted. No consequences for your actions, its either ignored by refs or appealed by clubs. I'd say it's one of the biggest turn offs for players.

Mirrors the rest of our society in Ireland where the thugs can do as they please with little to no fear of the consequences of their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭celt262

I think the most he could have got was a two game ban.

The GAA cannot decide to give a lad a ban of a year if it isn't in the rule book, which needs to be looked at to punish incidences like this.

Meanwhile, Glynn will head off back to NYC and be greeted with open arms and the kind of back slapping adulation from GAA fanboys who consider him a "legend"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

If the rules don't allow for appropriate sanction for such a dangerous attack on a player, then the rules need urgent amending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

He possibly could have been charged under rule 7.2 (e) Misconduct Considered to have Discredited the Association which carries an 8 week minimum ban.

Even under the rule he was probably charged under (Category 3 infraction of rule 7.2 (b)), the rulebook states a minimum penalty (1 game) - I presume that leaves open the possibility of a longer ban although you never seem to see it happening

Advertisement