Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I really don't want to keep things going longer but I've only had the smart meter a few months, I was on a non-smart 24h plan with BG that they chose not to offer a better discount on. My contract was up a day or two before I started seeing most of the 33-44% comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Bad luck, you were out of contract a day too early to benefit from the current wave of renewals. Some other people were out of contract a few days after this wave started, and initially they believed the higher discounts they got had something to do with their renewal deadline approaching, but in fact it happened at the same time for everyone.

But to avoid confusion, what is being discussed since then, and what BGE customers are asking questions about, is how this current wave of renewals works. There isn't a single report of discounts increasing closer to renewals in this wave, so for the sake of clarity, let's stop suggesting otherwise. BGE renewal offers are confusing enough with different discounts being offered depending on the discount you had, and whether you've electricity only or dual fuel, so we should try to bring a bit of clarity based on the facts we know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, stop the bitching at each other please. Will start deleting / dishing out bans into those who continue.

Keep it to discussing deals only, bitch in private of you want too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Energia gonna ring me later to try and keep me after my switch to Flogas for lower unit rates (but higher standing charges). They said in the initial call that there's discounts coming next month. Hoping to try get them early but probably won't. I think they were talking about a 20% discount in general. If the unit price is lower then i'll be staying. Bonkers told me that Flogas was the best option, but I suppose that wouldn't take into account the discounts.

As an aside, the Flogas salesman was talking about electric car chargers, and how they'd install one for me if required (for €500). I thought it was a good deal but looking further at it, its the EO Mini Pro, which itself probably costs about 500, so with the grant of 600(?) then you're basically not getting any special deal. You're just hiring them to install it, rather than doing it yourself. Might be less hassle but not really any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes and no. So currently the fixed rate you refer to offers a 33c/15c Day/Night rate. Currently rates with other providers are approx 42c/25c with decreases of about 12% announced so far to about 37c/22c. Even if you assume the non-fixed rates will drop next year they would need an 11%/32% drop just to match what flogas community/BG offer now

So while you could logically expect prices from other providers to reduce further next year you will already have been on a lower rate until that happens if you fix now.

Let's go mad and say for example the 37/22 rate gets halved to 18/11 in April of next year, 6 months from when the November cut takes effect. So with those rates you will have had 2 months at 42/25 followed by 6 months at 37/22 and 4 at 18/11 but with BWG/Community plan you would have had 12 months at 33/15 so that would work out cheaper. You would also be shielded from sudden price increases in that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

For anyone switching with still some unused electricity credit from Govt, does that auto transfer to new supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no, the old supplier will refund you any credit balance on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

AFAIK you have to request it from your supplier to refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You're lucky, my 600 was swallowed up in a flash, if you're using that little juice you'd be as well waiting a little while longer in case the Flogas plan comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Renewed with SSE , Electricity only, it was just a snip cheaper than energia

24 hr meter @36.08c inc vat (when the new rate kick in - (15% renewal and new 12%cut in standard rate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

hi all, i had posted before as were on pinergy here. it looks like we cant move from this as it was there when we moved in and its a rental.....so as it stands, we're paying 36.8c per kw for 24 hour rate (which includes 20% discount, full rate 46cent) the only other option on pre pay is a 7pm to 10pm where you get 60% off original rate which will be 41 cent from October 1st. so 60% off would be 18cent per kw. Im wondering should we go on that and try and do most big things, cooking, washing etc during those hours. there are only 2 of us and we are not high users so I think it might work most of the time but if we go with that option we would be paying the full 41 cent all other times of the day. other option would be to leave it at the 20% discount which will be 32 cent all day from October 1st. any thoughts from the guru maths ppl out there?! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,084 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What number did you get Energia on? I've tried three different numbers now and I keep getting cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the 32c a rate looks manageable financially for you, and you don't have high use, I wouldn't try to make the lifestyle change based on uncertain calculations.

And there will be times you won't be able to delay stuff until 7pm... events, visitors, Christmas, illness.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Sse -10% + 200 welcome credit is the best for low usage users.

Flogas standing charge is the highest of any provider worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I switched to that SSE offer yesterday, it worked out cheaper for me than their straight 20% discount, and was the cheapest of the companies offerings at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

SSE offered me 10% discount + the upcoming discount in Oct/Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

SSE looking like the cheapest for me too.

11 days left with BGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

They rang me -> 01 869 2000 (it actually ended in 2044 but i think that was the agents extension)

Offering me 20% discount on both. Either 1 year or 2 year contract. Chose 1 year even though i could have gotten the 20% discount for the 2 years.

Is it worth activating my smart meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

I'm with BGE on 33% discount through one big switch and my contract will expire next month but didn't get any discount offer directly on my account like others here have so I contacted their online chat to ask. Here is their reply

• Perfect, so what I can offer you is 12 month contract, the requirment for this offer is direct debit and paperless billing. The exit fee for this offer is 50 euro and please know, this offer is subject to change, so it may not be available in the future. In terms of discount and rates after discount is applied. The discount for this contract is 33% for 12 months and after applied to current rate - the discounted rate is 0.297 Ex VAT. The standing charge per year is 323.75 Ex VAT with the EAB of €1636 based on national average usage figures administered from the CRU - there is a cooling off period of 14 days from when you agree to this offer also. This offer would be applicable and enrolled for when your current one ends - but the cooling off period is 14 days from when you sign up for it. I will confirm this is the best current offer available at this current time and please know, the rate is not fixed for term, the discount is fixed.

so if you've not got a discount yet on your account contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Thanks for that. I just did the same. They stuck with the offer I have online which is 15% off the standard rate. Couldn't do any better.

My online account today says I'll get an additional 5% off if I renew today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So I went through the top 5 electric providers and I'll post the details below. Please note that the figures stated are in respect of the standard 24 hour urban meter, new customer and the unit rate includes the discounted percentages. Figures are rounded up/down to nearest Euro.. Total for year is the estimated rate based on 4200 unit usage per year.

SSE: 38.60 cents per unit (includes 20% discount). €241 standing charge (yearly) Total yearly bill €1765

FloGas: 37.99/unit (fixed) €303 standing charge. Total yearly bill €1801

Electric Ireland: 40.89/unit. (includes 5.5% discount). €303 standing charge. Total yearly bill €1923

Energia: 43.60/unit. (includes 10% discount). €237 standing charge. Total yearly bill €1971

Bord Gais: 44.33/unit (includes 8% discount). €281 standing charge. Total yearly bill €2046

If using Bonkers, double check the estimated cost for SEE 10% discount + €200 bonus. It seems the bonus is not included in the calculation as it should, so this offer appears €200 more expensive than it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine (energia) was refunded to the account the DD mandate was for automatically once the CoS went through

Energia is 43.60 cent until 02/10/2023, 37.05 cent from 03/10/2023.

EI is 40.90 cent until 31/10/2023, 36.80 centfrom 01/11/2023.

SSE is 38.60 cent until 31/10/2023, 33.96 cent from 01/11/2023.

And BGE is very likely to be updated shortly, so it's not really a like-for-like comparison.

Better use Bonkers/Switcher.ie.

I give today's rates. Feel free to provide an update on 3 October .

If they are wrong then so am I. Maybe you could contact them and tell them to update their online pricing.

They aren't wrong, you just choose the dearer plan, green electric, scroll further and you'd see it. SSE however are wrong/misleading, not sure which plan they use for the eab but it's not standard 24hr

Kinda pointless anyway, who uses the eab exactly?

• Advertisement

But you're also giving a 12-month projection and EAB based on today's rates which we already know are only valid for the next 20 or 45 days...

Advertisement