Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

So easy 6.5 km run on Tuesday was good.

13 km run was only 8 km as obviously my find & replace skills let me down when converting the Boards plan to conform with 1970's teaching standards (I have a fully converted and correct plan for anyone that wants it going forward!). This was actually fine as I had been to physio and was a bit tender from being massaged and needled again. Knee seems to be holding up and continuing to do exercises; going back next Friday.

Thursday 6.5 km was fine.

Long run I moved to Sunday as cough was really bothering me, the heat and I had a wedding Saturday afternoon.

32.2 km on Sunday. Learned a good bit on this. I took it very easy on the booze at the wedding and wasn't a late night but wasn't back home til about 11:30 on Sunday. So I was out the door at 13:00 just after a thunderstorm had broken the humidity and it felt great. Original plan was to do an 18 km loop which would take me back to the house where I'd re-hydrate before heading on next loop. But because I felt so good I decided I wanted to get in as much mileage as I could before I looped back and it became a real slog running routes I know backwards. Which was a good idea from a mental engagement point of view but I hadn't noticed that the humidity and heat started creeping back up. I was out of my 500ml of water by 20 km when I took my fourth and final gel (should've had another).

So that's all a really long preamble to why I think I ran a 5:53 km at km 23 (2 kilometres from my front door). I think subconsciously I was very thirsty at that point and I knew that's where the water was and I started to speed up; obviously I slowed down again when my watched beeped the split but the damage was done and I never really got my heart rate back down (of course some of it is related to the heat and running further than I've ever run before but I think an important lesson on staying focused on pace).

So re-hydrated at the house while running 2x1km loops and headed out for the last 5 km which sucked. Form went to crap and was a real slog but got it done.

24 hours later; definitely a bit of stiffness in places I haven't had before but all previous niggles/injuries seem to have help up!

Saw GP this morning and have steroids for the cough so hopefully that clears it up too.

I might share my thoughts on carrying stuff in a different post as this is already a bit of an essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

Week 11

42K in the bag. Mid-week 10k's were sore and I was tired and cranky all week. The first 11k on Saturday's LSR was ran at far to great a pace considering the sauna conditions and I was running with a group which didn't help so I slowed down for the second 11k. I was dead in the water for the last 2k because of the heat. Still was very happy with the 22k LSR as I'm steadily increasing the distance week on week after the injury and I feel I'm catching up a bit. Should have switched LSR from Saturday to Sunday. I'm going to avoid caffeine gels until later in the race as I feel they are actually dehydriding me, especially in heat.

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes so happy out.

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Ran a little to fast for the first 11k of the LSR as I was with a group but it helped me to appreciate by 22k that I can't run at that pace on race day especially if hot (unlikely) but good learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I just got my ticket emailed to me, so it's real now!

Wave 4 as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Yes I just saw that. I'm sure a bunch of questions will start now so fire away everyone.

Just to head off one question, yes you can change wave if you need to. On the day if you want to drop down a wave then you can. You can't go up a wave on the day.

You can however go up a wave before the race if you are in a wave that is not suitable for you. You can email the organisers with a recent race result or 2 and they will review and adjust your wave before the day and this will be reflected in your bib number. You should only do this if your assigned wave is very different from your expected time based on a race time. The HM or FD 10 mile or similar races would be a good indication

The wave paces are a follows

Wave 1 3, 3.10 & 3.20

Wave 2 3.30, 3.40 & 3.50

Wave 3 4, 4.10 & 4.20

Wave 4 4.30, 4.40, 4.50 & 5

Editing to add and to reiterate Kellygirls post below. The first 7 miles of DCM is uphill pretty much so you can expect to start slower and build into the race. This means that typically you might run in a pace bracket below your target and then work into the race, so being in a wave just below your target time is no issue at all.

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Week 11.

All my runs for this week were easy and were all good, averaging at around 7min/km.

Saturdays LSR got off to a sluggish start. I found it hard to sleep the night before with the heat. Also stopped every now and again to remove or put on rain jacket because of the intermittent showers. Kept on having to will myself on during the first half, then thankfully found my stride and kept on until the end at the local supermarket, where I got the usual cold drinks and sat outside with them to rest a bit before warddling home. 

I got a bit confused on my run and ended up taking a wrong turn somewhere in the Maugherow triangle and ran 33k. I felt quite good at how the run went and I felt like I could have ran the full marathon distance of I wanted to.

I think I used 3 gels, but I also took my hydration bag with my and had 2.5ltr of High5 energy mix in it and drank all of that as well. I won't bring it with me to Dublin, but I have become quite dependent on it for my long runs around here.

All in all a good week. I feel I'm getting the benefit of doing the easy runs as they are meant to be ran and beginning to feel more positive.

Post edited by T-Bird on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Week 11

Highest mileage week of the plan so far and my highest ever weekly mileage at 63.4km! Plus I've added the 20 miler to my stats.

5 runs total in the week. The 13km was lovely but quite warm. Happened to have a grl on me so took it.

Funeral on Thurs meant I didn't get out for the strides session, did it on Fri but left our the strides as I was in panic mode for LSR. LSR was ok, per my last post, but was v tired after, mainly due to the heat I think. Woke up with a full on dose on Sunday but managed to get out for Recov run.

Family life is hectic atm, and with husbands marathon training ramping up alongside mine we're literally tagging in and out of the house on runs

Plan is to do 5 runs this week.

I also got my email, wave 4 too 😃

@MisterJinx can you quote the questions you posed a few days back, can't find the original post 👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

Apologies for the stupid question but how do the waves work? Are they just the order people start in? Is there a break between waves? I was aiming for sub4 and says I'm in wave 3. I was considering staying behind the 3.50 pacer but would that not be possible if you start in a different wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

The waves start every 20 mins. However if you are looking for sub 4 and mean 3:59 I wouldn’t be going out with the 3:50 pacers anyway. You could end up with a very slow and painful 2nd half. You would be better off in Wave 3, possibly behind the 4 hour pacers and build into the pace. The first 7 miles of Dublin, you need to take handy until you reach the highest part of the route in Castleknock. After that you can start picking up the pace a little.

Are these the ones you are thinking of?

- How was week ten for you?

- Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?

- What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.

- What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow well done to you both managing marathon training while you have smallies. Himself has done 2 marathons and I asked him (nicely) not to do Dublin marathon this year so that I could train for it and we only have one child whom I'd say is a lot older than your gang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wave 4 for me which sounds about right. A little bit of an "oh this shít is getting real" moment when I got the email!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I have wave 3, but that sure isn't happening 🤣. I'll definitely be moving down to wave 4 1/2 on the day.

I remember setting my alarm for 2:30am when the last round of applications started because I was sure that they would sell out in no time. I also thought that I would boost my finish time (just a bit 🤣) in the hope it would give me more of a chance of getting in. I was a bit shocked and excited when I found realised that I had beaten the queue and had been successful this time. However it was a bit in vain because the window was open right up until the deadline date...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

For some bizarre reason I’m in Wave 1 😂.

I’ll be placing myself carefully in Wave 4 ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

This might be an awful dumb random question but if the waves are all 20min apart how does that work for the finish line timer. Does that mean someone in e.g. wave 4 would be 60 min more than their chip time gonna under that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Your time starts when you cross the start line and finishes when you cross the finish line. There is a timing chip attached to the back of your number that is unqiue to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Thanks! Got that .. I was thinking of the photos for the grandkids in years to come though.. I’d be telling them I ran it in x hours and then they see a photo of the finish line where it’d be x hours + 40/60/80 or whatever.

And they’d say ‘poor old Granny Meca is losing her marbles again.. 👵.

I'm not 100% on this year but last year I got sent by post a little badge with my chip time on it which sticks to your finisher medal

I assume that's the "itab medal" add on, it cost €8 extra when buying the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

There are four separate colour coded clocks at the finish line, one for each wave. Your bib number will be colour coded to your wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Week 11

Longest week 50k and longest run ever 16m for me on the HHn plan.

Everything going well so far, tried out gels for the first time and all good, used 2 on the 16m, getting to the business end of things now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel so finding it a bit easier to focus. In wave 3, hopefully that will be fine, maybe around the 6m/k mark but still too early to be thinking about that.

Hope everyone had a good week and thanks for all the help and information here, it's so valuable to us who haven't experienced or can comprehend the big day.

Thank you and sorry to ask, just v. difficult to find older posts on the phone. My laptop is goosed 😃

- Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?

I think structure really suits me. Even when I did races previously I never really followed a plan or set a goal time (except for the leixlip 5km in May). It definitely adds pressure, like constant watch monitoring etc., but good pressure. And its great to see the progress week on week. I can see myself taking only a small break post marathon and then maybe diving into a 5km training block (that obviously might change!).

Self belief has come on heaps to, although I think there would be more negative moments than positive (knowing my temperament and personality) if I hadn't got a supportive partner, giving me pep talks and advice most days 😀

- What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.

I think I just need to sustain the self belief, especially when running on tired legs. I also need to not overthink everything - of course its absolutely necessary to have a plan but getting tied up in knots about specifics relating to gear and fuelling etc. isn't helpful. From a fitness pov, I am confident now that I can complete the marathon - absolutely. Within what time frame I'm really not sure, and there'll be variables outside of my control. But I really do just want to enjoy my first one and soak it all up.

- What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

I really think it will be cultivating and maintaining a positive mindset. Easier said than done!

My answers are a bit repetitious, but honestly, mindset is the key driver for me lately. The rest is noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

Tools of the trade …….

Question: is it too late or not a good idea to add in some upper arm strength training, at this point? I have been meaning to post about this before now but just haven't gotten to it/keep forgetting. I notice on my faster runs, and particularly in races, it's my upper arms that get tired from the driving (much quicker than my legs), and stronger DOMS than in legs the next day (or at least as much as).

I have a set of dumbells with the removable weights. Would it be worth doing some kind of gentle routine for say 10 mins or so a day? I've never lifted weights and would have no appetite to over do it, but would like to stave off that tiredness for race day as much as possible 👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Noticing this also on longer runs, arms and head feel really heavy, possibly from the shoulders, maybe some shoulder work/stretches will help, interesting to hear if this is common.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

I'm far from an expert and others probably more qualified to comment but I wouldn't have thought introducing weights would be ideal at this stage, especially if you have never lifted weights before. Weights can take some getting used to and take up a lot of energy with sore muscles sore for days. Saying that very light weights may be fine but I'd imagine some good upper body stretches would go a long way now rather than just stretching the legs.

Post edited by Louis 2018 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I can’t see it doing much harm if you keep it light at this point. I would do upper body twice weekly myself while training but I’m used to it. Definitely don’t over do it and it may be more for your head than anything else at this stage. Some of this sort of stuff maybe

I'm enjoying the training but in lots of ways I just want the marathon to be here already!

It occupies basically every waking thought and hugely dominates every conversation I have with anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

While I won't comment on your specific question, I'll suggest you to spend some times on our faster (or any) runs focusing on what you are doing with your arms, and specifically hands. I found myself recently almost clenching my fists on faster runs which was a sign that I was tensing my arms and shoulders and not being as relaxed as I should. I still sometimes have a tendency of doing this and can certainly feel it the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Very normal to feel sore arms/neck/shoulders at this stage. Good point there from TheRef about focusing on hands, arms, wrists, shoulders during runs, especially long runs. I like to shake out my arms every few miles, just to remind myself to keep loose. Your watch beeps are a good time to do a little check - are my shoulders relaxed, am I feeling loose, etc.

Advertisement