Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭jonnreeks

The Republic of Ireland have just one win from their five games so far, leaving their qualification hopes in a dire state in Group B. The September break was always going to be a tough but defining one for the Irish, who suffered losses to the group's top two - France and the Netherlands. It means Stephen Kelly's side will be out of contention for the finals if they lose at home to Greece, or if they draw and the Netherlands beat France on 13 October.

According to the BBC, Stephen Kelly is already our new manager! 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think if Roy is interested then we have no choice but to take him, ideally I'd want a Keane double act, Roy and Robbie at the helm, can't get much worse than currently and I think they inspire us.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was thinking that at least when Kenny inevitably gets the bullet that we can finally put all this divisive bickering about him behind us. However it just dawned on me that all of the "give him more time" brigade are going to be gunning for the next manager from the off.

Kenny will be to Irish football what Jeremy Corbyn was to the UK Labour party. A man who generated a lot of support with his ideals but who ultimately wasn't actually good enough at the job to implement any of them effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

Jose Mourinho is one of the most decorated managers in the history of the game in fairness. He might be a príck, but that’s not what made him successful.

Keane doesn’t have that record to fall back on. Since he’s been a player he’s basically had one way of dealing with teammates or players, which is to shout abuse at them and call them out in front of everyone. That’s just not going to motivate players these days.

I don’t see him coming in and improving the team, I see him coming in, creating a horrible atmosphere and leaving before the campaign is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yep Roy Keane has already being branded a failure before he even got the job - 'he would upset the players' etc

Chris Hughton - has been branded a dinosaur

Lee Carsley - no club management experience

Which makes me afraid that FAI will pick Damien Duff as he would pander to the 'In Kenny we trust' cohort. Some of the media are already on it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

“We can stop our bickering”

”the give him time brigade”

🙄

Kenny deserved time, which he got, and he will go. Whoever comes in deserves time too. We’re not good enough to start throwing managers out because we don’t qualify for something.

The fanbase are split though, not over one man but what they want from the team.

Some are result at all costs, however they play football.

Some will prioritise development of a style of play over results, happy to sacrifice a campaign if it might mean that we’re in a stronger place down the line.

Whoever comes in, that’s not going to change I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Keane has had a chance to prove himself as O'Neill's assistant but my abiding memories of his time are a few standout negatives. There was the fight he started with Arter and Walters over them sitting out training. Needless aggressive carry-on.

And after he finished with Ireland, Matt Doherty was on the radio and was asked about Keane's role. He didn't know what Roy had offered in the previous few years. Maybe he had a beef with him, but even that alone says a lot.

Keane is no tactician. I can't recall him ever discussing tactical changes on Sky. He's paid to be an antichrist. But still, he's never gone into tactical changes during or after matches. I'd worry big time if we got Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sekond

I've been going to Tallaght quite a bit over the past while to see the WNT, and I was pleasantly surprised by the ground. My daughter and I nearly prefer going there to trecking into the Aviva - much closer to the action, handy in and out (and to be fair, we've been at matches with slightly happier results too).

I didn't grow up in a football supporting family, so there was no chance of being brought to matches growing up, so as a teen supporting what I saw on TV was my best option, so a PL side was where I landed. So I've no LOI allegiances. Maybe I should start "auditioning" a few, now that my sidekick is old enough to come with me. Maybe her generation will finally be the one who sees a proper grassroots/LoI/youth set up converting into the senior teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Good to see that after all the pro-Kenny anti-Kenny stuff, we will all unite behind the new manager!!

I love the fact that people are hell bent on getting their retaliation in first.

With the budget we have, we are beggars, not choosers.

With the playing pool we have, we are more than often losers.

What I cannot get my tiny head around is the fact that we are the last country to beat Scotland in a competitive game! Or did I dream that?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To be honest, I think if Roy Keane wasn't Irish he wouldn't even be in the conversation. If a manager of the same experience as he (no manager job in over a decade) from Scotland or France or whoever was in the hunt nobody would be excited.

I don't think he has much to offer Ireland other than chest-beating passion, his team will likely work hard, tackle hard etc. But if Keane is up to speed on modern tactics in football he hides it very well on Sky, where he very seldom offers any technical insight into games.

He ended up leaving Sunderland nearly bottom of the league. His Ipswich team was at the wrong end of the Championship. It's not as if he has much of a managerial career to talk about.

I think there are surely better options out there.

If Kenny is let go the FAI need to invite applications rather than go headhunt someone like Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Match is being shown on RTE 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wonder when will Tom cannon decide who he is going to play for?

when you see players like Harvey Barnes considering switching from England, I know what choice I would make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've been Kenny out since the very first game so very happy that things look like they are finally progressing.

Just get him out and get anyone in who has experience with full time professional footballers. Carley, Houghton, anyone

An absolute disaster and certainly should have went after the first campaign. Also shafted McCarthy and cost us a play off too I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Xander10

David Moyes has spoke about going for an international job next. Not saying I want him

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Not me. I’ll back this team to the hilt even if the manager is Neil Lennon.

Many people who didn’t want to give Kenny a chance from the off can hang their heads in shame though. Practically waiting for the team to so they can be smug and stick the boot in. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Well you just give yourself a big pat on the back there.

Majority wouldn't go to a match - any match - if it was in their bloody garden

Did he f*ck cost us a play off. It’s not Kenny’s fault Conor Hourihane missed an open goal.

Some of the absolute lies told by some here are genuinely astounding. It’s as if they think we’re as stupid as they are.

Meanwhile, 21s are beating San Marino 1-0 thanks to a Rocco Vata goal.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I hit the notification and it brought me to that post.

2-0. Vata again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Armstrong has some serious raw physical ability. If he could just develop the technical aspect a bit, the sky could be the limit.

Bit sloppy in front of goal. Armstrong should have had one or two. Moran denied a penalty also.

Furlong not doing his chances of retaining that LB spot much good and I'd like to see Lawal moved up into midfield instead of Adeeko. He's been playing some good balls into the final third from defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Has he got potential? Just checked wiki and see that he's only 18, and is Rudi Vata's son. Any reason why he chose Ireland ahead of Scotland? Only the granny rule qualifies him for Ireland so it seems a bit of an odd move considering the state of us atm.

Going by the mother's social media her side of the family are very in touch with their Irish roots and someone mentioned that Ireland approached him before Scotland did.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Coaching our u21s still according to LiveScore 🙄

Looks to have some stuff about him. On the fringes of the Celtic side for the last while. I reckon he would have broken through if Ange stuck around. Could still do so obviously but Ange was a big fan apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

At least if Scotland come sniffing later (ala Rice & Grealish), they wouldn't have the same sway as England.

I see Stephen Kenny at the u21 match, fair play to him, I wouldn't bother if I was him, or is his son in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

If you project any harder, I'll be able to use you for power point presentations.

I base my views on Keane's comments as a pundit "I wouldn't let him back on the team bus, he's so bad etc. etc." as well as what the likes of Jon Walters have said about him as assistant manager of Ireland. I don't think that sort of approach to player motivation reaps long term benefits. I actually don't know what the media think of him as a manager to be honest.

At least if he was in the LOI, he'd be managing somewhere, he hasn't had a top job anywhere since 2011. Would that not concern you, even slightly?

And Martin O'Neill did indeed qualify us for a tournament. During qualification we actually played some decent football too, only really opting for hoofing it against the likes Germany, which is understandable and intelligent decision. The problem was about a third of the way through the following campaign, after a good start with a draw away to Serbia and a win against Austria he absolutely lost the head and started doing things like trying to protect 1-0 leads against Georgia, with predictable consequences. The O'Neill / Keane duo then lasted 6 months at Notts Forest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I am a big fan of Kenny and I liked the approach he was taking but I can't see how he stays on. Similarly, I can't see who's going to come in and how they'll do any better.

If someone comes in and does well it will likely be because of Ferguson, Kenny didn't really get a chance to play him.

We are so lucky that he turned up out of nowhere, a goal scorer is exactly what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think the difference between opinions held and how people conduct themselves when backing the national teams are important differences you should acquaint yourself with.

I've never sat in the stand shouting negative things because Kenny is in charge. The majority wouldn't. Posting considered opinions on boards doesn't equate to a lack of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"The majority wouldn't"...

Go on so, how have you fact checked that?

We certainly did not progress past that play off.

Over the course of 30 competitive games, would you point to a player error in each of them to explain the dismal record? Or would you consider a potential pattern.

• Advertisement

Lack of boos for the most part?

During Kenny's reign and previous managers?

Not sure what you are getting at.

I’m not talking about 30 games. I’m talking about the one specific play-off game that an open goal was missed, and yet somehow that poster claimed it was Kenny’s fault.

We ended up losing that game on penalties. Had that open goal shot gone in, it’s a different story.

Do you believe losing that game was Kenny’s fault?

I wouldn't blame for his first real game in charge against Slovakia ending 0-0 and the losing on penos, no.

The opposite in fact Roy Keane has not cheapened himself in going for managerial jobs that are beneath him. But he is at the same time he is also willing to work as an assistant under a manager with more experience than him to stay in tune with the game. His last such appointment was in 2019.

I believe that the negative caricature narrative about Keane was/is created by certain cohorts in the media for clicks. But I believe Roy Keane is what this Irish team needs. He has all the qualities Kenny lacked - high profile, media presence, charismatic, a straight talker, and simplifies the game - which is what is needed in international football. There is not much time to work with players so the message has to be simple.

There are some people that just have that worldwide stature. Argentina gave Maradona the job. A man with much less managerial experience than Keane. It was chaotic at times but it created a buzz. Keane would be a much more measured manager than Maradona ever was. But you would get the profile. The worldwide stature;. Remember the FAI are still looking for a sponsor.

I still cannot think of any other small footballing country with a person of Roy Keane's profile who would just leave him in the sidelines. Especially when there are so few viable candidates. The FAI does not have the money to attract a manager from outside the country with stature. As simple as that.

In contrast to Keane where the negative narrative narrative was created around him in the media. The way overly positive narrative about Stephen Kenny was created by certain cohorts in the Irish media. Which showed itself to be extremely silly when it came to the reality. And now that same media are scrambling for excuses elsewhere. There is even some with a narrative about keeping Kenny for another contract, from the likes of John Giles that Kenny is a 'good fella' so he should get another contract. Basically on the premise that the pool of players is poor anyway. Madness.

On the one hand when Kenny is here he tells us we have 'exciting players' then when he fails we are told the players are not there. Surely the truth is somewhere in the middle and a manager that can give a team a bit of oomph would do better than the aimless philosophy Kenny has. As Martin O'Neill said two centre halves passing the ball to each other to keep up the possession stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That’s fair. And I agree that anyone who didn’t want to give Kenny a chance was poor form. I don’t know if there were really many of them though?

Personally I would have been delighted to see him succeed as it may have been good for the game’s domestic league and anyone remotely interested in soccer in Ireland would want that to happen. As far as I can see if anything he’s had a lot of goodwill for that reason ; more so than some other managers got. If his contract is not renewed I don’t think Stephen Kenny has been hard done by.

Brian Kerr for example by comparison I felt was much more harshly treated. That might have been a personal thing when that maniac Delaney ruled the roost and maybe just didn’t click with him. Delaney dumped Kerr to appoint Steve Staunton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Keanes work with Oneill will have brought him up to date with the early 1990s,that's all.

• Advertisement

But Kenny did not even get Ireland to that play off SF - it was on the back of another managers work. He basically had a free hit and did not take it. I am still convinced if Mick McCarthy stayed for that play off game the result would likley have been different. Mick was a motivator, a practical man. Dreamers rarely do well in football which is what Kenny fundamentally is. He does not seem tactically astute, he does not instil real confidence. What are his strengths as a manager?

Then Kenny flopped in the nations league that he promised us all he was trying to win!

Most managers that do well are practical realistic. Kenny's utterances simply do not match with reality. All the big talk he had never even came close to doing anything. That is the main problem with Kenny he had big notions that never even came close to anything being realised. That is the truth of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

You are as good as the only won beating the Roy Keane drum. Many many people including myself have pointed out his major flaws as a manager yet you continue on this hobby horse. But sure here i go again....

Par 1 - Hasnt lowered himself to take a job beneath him? - This makes no sense at all. The last jobs he were offered if the rumours were to be believed were lower end Champ or league 1. He didnt take them and therefore has not worked as a number 1 for years, but i guess its the football clubs fault for not hiring him.....

Par 2 - None of those qualities you mentioned mean he can organize a team and give tactical instructions, as others have said hes never involved in the tactical discussions on Sky.

Par 3 - Yes thats exactly what a young team needs, a man to shout at them are create a bit of a buzz. You ignoring the fact that the Kenny appointment created quite a bit of buzz about the senior team? and Mardonna was a disaster for Argentina

Par 4 - Yes lets hire someone for their profile, as someone else said sure lets just get Bono in!

Par 5 - Most of those in the media despite getting free tickets to cover games were sick of watching the dross of TRAP/MON/MICK. Kenny talked a big game of trying to change the style and play the right way and also praised our players. It hasnt worked out but can you blame the media for attaching themselves to someone who talked positively about the team and players? Keane has created the negative commentry himself, its his fault, there is no agenda against him. And Giles is right our player pool is as bad as its ever been, Kenny should have gotten more out of them but thats not to say there isnt a lack of quality there.

Par 6 - Who has said the players are there? Definitely wasnt Kenny unlike other managers he backed the players. Would he have gotten more respect if he did a MON and came out and said sure these lads are shite what am i suppose to do with them?

What jobs has Keane refused because he deemed it beneath him?

All the things you’re looking at for success are intangibles. Basically he’s famous. I don’t know what “he simplifies the game” really means.

The perception of Keane isn’t media driven, it’s based on his previous management results, and accounts from players throughout that have fallen out with him.

This narrative is madness the complete opposite to the one about Kenny. But look at Kenny's record he was ever successful in the LOI. The LOI a league where players are constantly swapped around on free contracts. He failed at his time in Scotland, has a small run in Europe with Dundalk -

CL - beating some crowd from Iceland, beating BATE, drawing with Warsaw in one leg but losing on aggregate.

Europa - drawing with AZ and beating Macabi.

That was couple of matches then the hype grew, and he got the u21 gig. For all the hype of his players at that level what did he achieve? Qualification for a tournament? I was at one of Kenny's games Ireland v Italy u21. A 0-0 the crowd were full of expectation hope - they dreamed big like the manager. The days when Troy Parrott was talked up as the next big Ireland saviour. Not much happened really.

Was the Kenny hype driven by young supporters in their 20's , and bluffers in the media do you think? Because it seemed to be just based on nothing but hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Dear god. "Dreamers rarely do well in football which is what Kenny fundamentally is. He does not seem tactically astute, he does not instil real confidence. What are his strengths as a manager?"

Yes we got that playoff by MON finishing last in the Nations League. Real great work there.

And yet you think Roy Keane has those qualites, talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement