Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

That is definitely not true. He was picking younger players from the very start. It wasn't all at once but it was immediate You can have a different opinion but making up stuff to back your argument doesn't help. Idah started his first NL game in charge and Idah, Connolly and Molumby started the next. Idah and Connolly would have played in the playoff were it not for covid too.

Also as I mentioned I was at the Denmark game and we played well but battered them is definitely overselling it. We drew 1-1 with a late equaliser. Which was the style at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I'm not making up anything! There were injuries so some players came in but he basically stuck with McCarthy's team bar Whelan's retirement. Also, Connolly was brought in under McCarthy. To demonstrate my point, here's Kenny's selections up to the Luxembourg game. Can you see any evidence he was building for 2024 with these selections?

v bulgaria:

Darren Randolph Enda Stevens Shane Duffy John Egan Matt Doherty James McCarthy Adam Idah Jeff Hendrick Conor Hourihane Callum O'Dowda Aaron Connolly

v Finland

Darren Randolph; Enda Stevens, Shane Duffy John Egan, Matt Doherty; Robbie Brady, Harry Arter, Jayson Molumby; Callum O'Dowda Aaron Connolly Adam Idah

v Slovakia

Darren Randolph; Matt Doherty, Shane Duffy, John Egan, Enda Stevens; Jeff Hendrick, James McCarthy, Conor Hourihane; Callum Robinson, David McGoldrick, James McClean.

v Wales

Darren Randolph; Matt Doherty, Kevin Long Shane Duffy Enda Stevens; Conor Hourihane, Jeff Hendrick, Jayson Molumby Shane Long Robbie Brady James McClean

v Finland

Randolph; Doherty, Duffy (c), O'Shea, Stevens; Molumby, Hourihane, Horgan, Hendrick, Connolly; Maguire.

v England

Darren Randolph; Cyrus Christie, Matt Doherty, Shane Duffy, John Egan; Conor Hourihane, Jeff Hendrick, Alan Browne; Daryl Horgan, Callum O'Dowda, Adam Idah

v Wales

Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, O'Shea, Molumby, Hendrick, Horgan, Brady, McClean, Long, Idah

v Bulgaria

Darren Randolph; Ryan Manning, Kevin Long, Shane Duffy (capt), Dara O'Shea; Conor Hourihane, Jason Knight, Robbie Brady; Ronan Curtis, Daryl Horgan, James Collins.

v Serbia

Mark Travers; Seamus Coleman, Matt Doherty, Enda Stevens, Ciaran Clark, Dara O'Shea; Alan Browne, Jayson Molumby, Josh Cullen; Callum Robinson, Aaron Connolly.

v Luxembourg

Gavin Bazunu; Seamus Coleman, Dara O'Shea, Ciaran Clark; Matt Doherty, Enda Stevens, Josh Cullen, Jason Knight, Alan Browne; Callum Robinson, James Collins.

And we did batter Denmark, the stats back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

This is a fair take , when we compare ourselves to Greece , Scotland etc we have to remember we are total minnows compared to them in a football sense when you look at academies , professional leagues , clubs in champions league, football industry and basically every single facet of the game . We are a million miles behind even countries like those .

Btw I still think Kenny has had his time and it’s been a failure with no tangible progression but we have to realise exactly where we are in the pecking order . Greece and Scotland put us to absolute shame as football countries

Again, were you making these excuses for previous managers?

Also the vast amounts of money that is needed to make things better is just not there , we are trying to build a couple of very modest stadiums in Tallaght and Dalymount for the past 20 years and still aren’t done .

Rugby and GAA have the private investors absolutely sewn up

• Advertisement

……

Read the comment Iv said Kenny’s time is up and he has failed

And yes I’d make those excuses for any Irish manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

So England don't want to let Carsely go, as they see him as a potential successor to Southgate. That should be enough to rule him out, would be shocked if he left with that kind of backing from the FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Only thing is he considers himself irish. Cant find the interview but he says he'd rather 1 cap for ireland thank 50 for england.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think more of us wanted SK to do well and were more likely to be patient with him because he's one of our own and we wanted him to succeed. He inherited a right mess and had a terrible run of luck. I never had any grá for MON or Trap or Mick 2.0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

England won't appoint Carsley as senior manager. Not a hope. Southgate would never have got the job if it wasn't for him being a widely respected former England international who everybody liked in terms of having a Trevor Brooking type personality. He had Premier League managerial experience too. If Carsley was to get a club job it would be a lower Championship job at best. Couldn't see a Premier League team take a punt on him. Ireland would take a punt on him for sure and I think he'd take a punt (or a Euro) on Ireland.

He didn't inherit a right mess, he created a right mess and MON and Mick were one of our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bike2wkr

I'd keep Kenny til end of campaign. He's brought alto of players through. He has made mistakes but I like him and the new culture. A good midfielder in that team and they'd do great

If we beat Greece at home and gilbratar and who knows against the Dutch we could finish well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

No one cares about "finishing well".

That's loser SK talk and it's the second qualifying tournament in a row he's said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bike2wkr

I care , 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

I'd love some of that stuff you're on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stats, again :

Games : 36

Won : 10

Drawn :11

Lost : 15

Win % : 27.78

Loss % : 41.67

If he was in charge of a PL team with those stats, he’s avoiding relegation by the skin of his teeth.

Kenny Won 41 points out of 108……67 points dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

I haven’t had the chance to listen to Eamon Dunphy's podcast on the latest games, but the headline is that John Giles calls for an extension to SK's contract. Does Dunphy ever admit being in the wrong on any matter? I'm presuming that he twisted everything out of context until he got the answer that he wanted from JG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Ryan Tubridy is available for 350,000 a year. He ticks a lot of boxes, successful in Ireland, experience of working with youth and has a loyal following.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Of those 10 wins 5 of them were friendlies against world beaters Andora, Qatar, Lithuania, Malta & Latvia.

Out of 26 competitive matches he won 5 against - Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Scotland, Armenia & Gibraltar,

The Scotland win would be considered a huge victory since according to this thread they have a lot better players than Kenny has available to him.

So pretty much 1 credible win out of his 36 games as Ireland manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Not really true at all, Southgate got the job on a technicality and not on his managerial experience or quality (because he is shite). He was not good in the PL and Carsley has done better with the youth team. As an England fan I don’t think Carsley would get the England job next, but it depends what he wants. England youth teams are stable and have been pumping out talent. Ireland definitely isn’t. Also Steve Cooper is now a PL manager and he came from England u18s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Go listen to it. It’s absolutely incredible stuff. I think Kenny’s time is up but I do have sympathy and respect for the man and what he tried to do.

But that podcast is one of the worst, most ill informed and hypocritical pieces of broadcasting I’ve ever heard. It’s like Kenny’s agent rang them up and said “you need to put something positive about Kenny out there.”

It would be insulting had it come from anybody. That it came from two men who went in hard on previous Ireland managers (Dunphy hysterically so at times) is absolutely mind boggling.

I am now also convinced that Dunphy is on some sort of commission for mentioning Wes Hoolahan’s name.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What’s the point in keeping a guy who has a 100% failure record in qualifying for international tournaments ?

When the going gets tough, he doesn’t have the wherewithal to get the team qualified.

its not as simplistic as saying he just doesn’t have the players… because he makes rank bad awful decisions tactically and regards to his team selection…… so adding that to not having the best talent at his disposal and we are fûcked.

The hallmark of a great manager / leader, is one who even with average resources at their disposal, they can still enable their team to succeed and still make their goal.

Kenny hasn’t done that, nor will he….

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just watched Simon Jordan interview Sam Allardyce. Believe it or not Southgate was offered the England job BEFORE Allardyce.

But Southgate told Allardyce he turned it down because he thought he had lack of experience. Plus in that interview for the England job Pardew was also interviewed for the job.

It just shows how political Football Associations are they basically want 'yes men' That was the case with Kenny as well I believe. The Irish media backed him. It was a shrewd move by John Delaney in that it took the pressure off him with the fans as well. From a football perspective not such a great move.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

I'm not sure if you understand how building for the future would work but your list of starting teams proves his point. He had a player at or around 20 in every team bar one and then as time went on the number of younger players started increasing and this trend continued up to now.

I think when Kenny said that he made a bit of a fool out of himself as it was only after qualification was a write off that he all of a sudden claims it was meant to be a write off and he was building for 2024.

As for the Denmark game in 2019 you don't batter someone if you draw 1-1 with them. Shots on goal mean nothing if they don't go in unfortunately for us. We had enough chances to draw or beat Netherlands the other night and to draw with France in the home game but we didn't. Is it not results you are after?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

He should lose his job for picking Doherty. The player he puts most trust in lets him down the most.

Lots of lovely sideways and backwards passing is what Kenny loves and Doherty is great at.

Blunt and uninspiring with zero penetration

Time to go

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpirl

Stephen Kenny's Dundalk on Al Jazeera TV in 2016

Richard Keys also interviewed Kenny on Bein Sport around this time

Then there were some quotes from Mircea Lucescu after Dundalk had played against his Zenit team in the Europa League group stage :

'The best team is Dundalk, I cannot compare them with the others. They can win at home against AZ and it is easy to not lose a match against Maccabi Tel Aviv.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Kerr got shafted. A total myth that he was a poor manager for us. The Israel results were disastrous but not his fault. 1-0 up and cruising and lazy pressing by the defenders cost us in the 90th minute in Tel Aviv. Then John O’Shea had a nightmare 20 minutes at Landsdowne Road where he was at fault for their two goals. What finished Kerr was his bizarre substitutions against the Swiss in the last game. He knew he was getting sacked if he didn’t qualify us and those subs were the last act of a desperate man to try and somehow nick a win but it backfired.

I love how you blame the players performances for Kerr and Trapp failures but then blame Kenny alone for not beating the Dutch (Shane Duffy's defensive boo boos spring to mind, was the lazy pressing in the second half Kenny's or the player's fault?) So it's a myth that Kerr was a failure and in the same sentence you say he made bizarre substitutions?You really post some stupid tripe in this thread, can you genuinely not see how hypocritical you are? We finished 4th in the group, namely because Kerr had us sit on two leads against Israel, like he always did, he was a crap manager. Look at the team he wasted too, a total travesty. Anyway, is football a results business or not? You keep contradicting yourself.

I get that you hate Kenny, but bigging up the Kerr and Trapp eras, as if to say it's an example of how we should be playing is typical clueless nonsense from you. At least be consistent with the barometer that you judge managers with.

Also, Mccarthy battering Denmark 1-1 genuinely made me laugh.

Post edited by Curse These Metal Hands on

• Advertisement

It's a results business where Kenny is concerned, it's the player's failing if you're talking about the previous managers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement