Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What I don't understand is how we can import €53 million worth of tomatos but also export €2 million worth... Why are we exporting something we're paying a lot to import?! And no doubt that happens with a hape of products.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Free market presumably. If a grower gets a buyer abroad off they go. May be part of ready meals or something also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Probably to do with the type of tomatoes? Some for cooking sauces, some for table tomatoes, restaurants and so on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cars are so much safer than they were and get better with the passing years which is brilliant, but even with crumple zones and more airbags than the Dail, the energies involved in impacts are huge(cars have also gotten much heavier too which increases forces on its own). If you look at official crash tests, in most cases the speeds for passing/failing are 30-60kph tops. it can be easy to forget that traveling at 80Kph, a pretty "slow" speed on a half decent half straight road that most of us wouldn't think twice about, is massively ramping up the energies that are going to be involved if you lose control and hit a tree, a wall, or roll over. If you hit another car coming the opposite direction also doing 80Kph... In essence you've run into a tonne and a half object at 160Kph.

Another angle to take is look at what motorsport requires to make a rally car "safer". Stuff like strengthened bodyshells, approved roll cages welded into the bodyshell, approved one piece racing seats, four point harnesses, fire suppression systems, fuel/electrical cutoffs etc, all constantly checked and passed by scrutineers and of course they're not facing oncoming traffic and have drivers with high expertise/talent. And tragedies still happen where people are badly injured or killed.

Driving is pretty much the most potentially dangerous pursuit most of us do regularly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as i'm fond of pointing out, many (most, i suspect) motorists don't realise that energy (and thus braking distance) squares with speed.

going from 50km/h to 80 is a 60% increase in speed, but the energy and braking distance at 80 is over two and a half times that at 50km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You've probably seen this before, a track crash with caged (and probably seam welded?) saloons that was more like a road crash in terms of angle. I'd say the closing speed was close to 200 km/h. Had the cars been RHD very possibly two fatalities. I often wondered if the superior strength and safety of the road Mercedes 190 compared to the road Ford Sierra played any part of the 190 deforming less here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B4gAoJTSgw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Your talking nonsense, a 10 year old voting? That's utterly ridiculous

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd reckon the differences between the damage and the base road model would be more dumb luck than engineering. You can even see the welded in cage deform into the cabin space on the Merc. If that had been two everyday cars even with all the modern safety kit I'd be very surprised to see occupants walk away without at best serious life changing injuries. Doubly so as it wasn't quite head on, more a side angle impact to the front which actually injures or kills more people than any other kind of car to car crash.

And of course in my previous post I neglected to mention that race car drivers wear flame resistant clothes, extensive neck supports and crash helmets which give a lot of extra protection. Blunt force head/brain/spine injuries cause most fatalities in car crashes on our roads.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume you've seen this? the difference between two (now old) people carriers, but with nine years of safety development between them.

i vaguely remember reading that if you're driving an old car, it's now more dangerous to drive it than when it was new. say your car dates from the year 2000; the difference between the damage done to your car if a 2023 car crashes into it will be greater than a car contemporary to yours would; partly due to weight but also partly due to the way modern cars are designed to keep the energy of the collision outside the cockpit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Old cars that are still on the road today experience a triple whammy when it comes to safety. They were much less safe than current cars when they were new. They may now have rust, weakening them further. And if they collide with a newer vehicle, as you say, that vehicle will likely be much more rigid and probably heavier than a vehicle from their own era

When I say old though I really mean 1990s and earlier designs. The red Espace in that video is a mildly updated mid 80s design. The vast majority of cars from this design era are scrapped. Huge improvements in car safety happened between about 1998 and 2008 and many such cars are still reasonably safe even though they would now receive 0 stars if tested by EuroNCAP.

• Advertisement

Why is it ridiculous? Serious question. Can you lay out why it's ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Its not an argument. It's just plainly obvious that allowing 10 year olds to vote is without a doubt, a terrible idea. I think the amount of people with dementia voting is miniscule in comparison to the amount of children under the age of 18 who would be allowed to vote.

Sure, as you said, you haven't made an argument.

What I'm asking for is an argument that can be applied across the board, that reasonably precludes every ypung person under 18 from voting, that also reasonably allows everyone over 18 to vote. Can you make that argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Its simple really, they are children and children do not have the life experience or knowledge to be able to vote.

Should we test the general population for life experience and knowledge before allowing them to vote?

Knowledge of what, exactly?

Why do we have age limits on sexual activity, films, alcohol, smoking among other things?

Because when we say that an adult has the intelligence of a ten year old, iit is an insult and meant to convey that they are not capable of thinking like an adult. Adults who think like children are few and far between. Children

You want literal children to be able to vote.

Children are easily manipulated too.

Politicians who want genuinely good and proper schooling for children would be running for votes. Wouldn't be as popular to children as a politician who vowed to "ban homework, make it a 2 day week and have free sweets for lunch".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

No one who believes in Santa should be allowed to vote :)

Because there's direct physical harm to the individual, I should think.

The post you quoted had a question which you didn't try to address. Care to give it a go?

So if it's about intelligence, should we have intelligence tests before allowing people to vote?

There's no question of disallowing people with learning disabilities or low IQ or those who are easily manipulated to vote. We just let them on to vote. Should we test for those things?

• Advertisement

I get the joke. Imagine if we considered excluding people based on unreasonable beliefs about supernatural beings who keep naughty/nice ledgers on everyone and reward the good and punish the naughty, then we'd be in real trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

This has to be one of the oddest arguments I've ever seen on this site.

Odd that it's so obviously ridiculous, and nobody seems to be able to make a cogent argument against under 18s voting that would also apply to those over 18.

Speaking personally, there's a difference between able and willing. I'm not willing to entertain the debate by bothering with a counter argument.

Of course. It's all so simple that nobody is willing or able to make the argument. I'm sure you have it on the tip of your tongue, and instead of making the argument, you instead post to explain why you shouldn't make the argument.

That's not really how things work, is it? In truth, it's what people do when they thought an argument would be simple to construct, but when they actually think about it, it isn't so simple. So instead they post about how they totally could make the argument, but won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yep, one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen on this site and that's really saying something.

Ah lads. Its easier to say an argument is dumb than to explain why it's dumb.

All I'm asking for is a cogent argument against under 18s voting that would also apply to those over 18.

If its such a dumb idea then it should be easy for you to make the argument @Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The argument is basic maturity. Yes, there are plenty of mature-for-their-age under-18s, and yes there are plenty of immature adults (I am one of them). But 18 is generally accepted as the age of becoming an adult.

Trying to make it about anything other than that is just pissing about.

No because we can safely say that the majority of adults do not think like children.

We can safely say that the majority of children, do in fact, think like children.

• Advertisement

The notion of "ethnicity" and the special treatment stemming from it should be abolished.

You;re either an Irish citizen or resident in the Ireland and no discrimination, positive or otherwise should be applied.

Advertisement