Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've never seen even a hint of Boyles in Manor, where's it supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

Yes. There needs to be correct management of both commercial and volunteer element in Tralee. As other festivals have learned, if you get either side wrong, it causes a huge loss of goodwill which may be impossible to win back in the short or medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭barryribs

Its Boylesports, its over in the same unit as where the Pagoda chinese is

Naturally, I assumed it was Boyles the hardware, and not Boylesports the bookies, being as only half the name got a mention. 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 8 The Hawk up in the Holly

Now you can have a bet , while waiting for your Chinese takeaway 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Fantastic, place bets on whether the food is inedible or totally inedible.

Ate there once. Even my kids didn't eat it. Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Arthurino

When are the powers that be going to decide on the future of the Rose of Tralee festival?

Or will they wait until last minute again?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Never had an issue with Pagoda. Its the only Chinese I will go to in town!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

they seem to be closed for refurbishment, they were during the festival anyway. Not sure if they have reopened yet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

The talk from politicians was meeting in September with all concerned so a few weeks yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Did anyone see Mark Leen in the Kerry`s Eye. Says he has commitments for E30k of shares for a E50m propoal - FFS. Even suggests the likes of Adele whose doing a mega millions residency in Vegas would come to perform in Tralee. Seriously, what planet is he on? Seems to want to just muscle his way into this meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

What are people's thoughts on Mark's Proposal?

I would love to see something like that in Tralee. Maybe not to the extent Mark is talking about, his ideas would have to be tweaked and modified, but overall I would like to see something like that - have concerts, sporting events etc... I know some people would say that we have the INEC in Killarney but I say lets build it, give the INEC a good run for their money and lets all enjoy the arena.

Whether or not it will come to fruition is another thing - but a good idea none the less (in my opinion!)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I agree, and while Mark might be a bit OTT, I think fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭traleelad2

Most people seem to have missed David Rae from Killarneys Celtic Steps speaking on Radio Kerry about the same proposal.

A man in the business, in the know, and with experience of running indoor events.

The general sum of his interview is that not only would a 5000 seater venue be an extremely difficult venture to make commercially viable, a 1000 seater is a pretty tall order.

It’s all well and good to have a vision but that vision must be realistic in the real world. Mark is a dreamer.

Siamsa Tire lay idle all summer, they cancelled their residency summer season as they couldn’t build the tourist footfall after covid. The tour operators moved on the alternatives and it’s very difficult to get them back.

Likewise the tintean theatre in ballybunnion which is not far off 1000 seater is only going from month to month with nothing major gracing the stage.

I wonder when last the couple of 100 Mark supporters visited Siamsa or Tintean?? I bet some prob never!

The INEC despite all it brings prob isn’t making a huge amount of profit and is probably regularly propped up by the hotel side of the business.

The event industry id imagine is incredibly difficult to navigate commercially.

It’s also worth pointing out and it doesn’t seem to be very widely known but an event centre beside the rose hotel was very close to becoming a reality a few years ago. The Rose Hotel owners were full behind it financially but it was Kerry Co Co that dragged their heels and ultimately the arrangement broke down as a result of Kerry Co Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I read in Kerrys Eye planning notices that an application has gone in to convert the old 5 storey stone mill on Milk Market Lane (just up from Maddens coffee shop) to a 28 bedroom boutique hotel. That would be fantastic for the area on top of the Spitjack restaurant planned for the old fishshop near it and with Roundys, the Ashe and Maddens nearby, we could have a vibrant entertainment area here both day and night! Hopefully it gets the go-ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mark Leen is probably a dreamer, and the idea will most likely never come to fruition, but I still think its nice to see someone stepping forward with a dream. He clearly has a bit of passion for his town, which cant be a bad thing.

I dont get what Siamsa Tire has to do with this, they can hardly host the Rose Selection nights, nor have they the capacity to attract any big acts.

Siamsa is the countries National Folk Theatre and can’t make a summer season commercially viable in a purpose built state of the art venue.

Across the road in the Brandon Celtic Steps are filling out the conference centre every night with a low budget pop up set and stage and banquet seats all on the flat.

It all down to operating costs. If anyone thinks a 5000 seater venue is commercially viable 50 weeks of the year in Tralee they are off their heads.

Would I love to see something like that built ya of course but in Tralee we have a habit of letting things fizzle out and almost rot away. The Aqua Dome barely keeps its head above water, there’s a fine crazy golf area that is completely run down due to lack of investment, the steam railway was left to rot in a shed, the Jeanie Johnston went to Dublin or somewhere and never came back, the wetlands lacks investment and imagination any other county would have zip lines, kids adventure areas, camping etc incorporated into it. We have a fantastic marina area at the basin but no watersports and the lockgates don’t work for people to access, it’s also not marketed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Wow! when you list all of it out like you did, Kerry Co Co have a lot to answer for really. The steam train, the carriages are more than likely falling to pieces, the engine is in pieces in the shed (as far as I am aware). A kids adventure place and zip lining would be a fantastic idea around the wetlands.

Yes, the common denominator in a lot of these cases is the Council!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Yeah, the council are a bit of an anchor around the town's neck. The skatepark was 15 years in the making with the council saying there was no demand. As soon as the gates opened they realised that it was already too small for the demand and now needs to be upgraded. They're a nightmare.

I would love to see a small live music venue in Tralee similar to Mike the Pies in Listowel. I'm not talking about some lad belting out Wagon wheel and wonderwall in a pub, MTP's had a bit of vision and were responsible for giving the likes of the Fontaines their big break. I guess the greyhound is the closest we have but there is a lot of potential there for some good bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

I would love to see a small live music venue in Tralee similar to Mike the Pies in Listowel. I'm not talking about some lad belting out Wagon wheel and wonderwall in a pub, MTP's had a bit of vision and were responsible for giving the likes of the Fontaines their big break. I guess the greyhound is the closest we have but there is a lot of potential there for some good bands.

This would be achievable.....Mark Leens idea is nonsense.There are only two indoor arenas with similar capacity on the island.One in Dublin 13000 and one in Belfast that holds 10800 .Next is INEC with 4000ish.Anything else is roughly 1000 capacity.That is the reality.We do not have the population to warrant that kind of a venue.

The Wetlands really needs more, its too basic. The kids area is for toddlers, its not got anything for kids older than that. Tralee needs another playground as it is. The town park playground is too small for the town. They should have done more with the playground area in the Wetlands. Everything is let run down and go to waste. I don't like going to the playground the park with my son. We end up bringing him to Fenit most times. And even that needs more upgrading done to it.

The council are a joke. The steam railway, the Ballybeggan racetrack (I know privately owned, but wasted). There's nothing really promoted in the town. You wouldn't even know there's a crazy golf at the Aqua dome, I had totally forgotten about it! I don't know why this stuff isn't promoted more. I read the other day there's some sort of car racing track outside the town, can't remember where. Is there even paintballing anymore? Its so hard to promote the town when the locals barely know what's there and the council or the chamber just sit back and don't do much. Even the greenway is badly promoted!!

KerryCoCo has been a joke for a few decades with all the hare-brained schemes they've wasted money on. I joked years ago that each time they lost money on something, they would extend the paid parking zone to compensate, and that it would eventually reach Abbeydorney. I think the Jeanie Johnston was probably the biggest howler. All the work that went into it, and it ended up being a tourist attraction on the other side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/terrific-tralee-dolphins-a-new-greenway-and-triple-chocolate-oreo-lasagne/a636469202.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭cms88

But they'll claim they don't have the money for any of it. Yet there's never an issue with money to increase their wages in there.

Wage increases are at a national level and agreed by government. The council cant just wake one morning and decide to give themselves a pay rise. I suppose you don't get or look for pay rises in your job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭cms88

What part of the council do you work in?

Being self employed i don't have the luxury of getting a pay rise regardless of how bad i am at my job.

Advertisement