Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Things look chaotic this morning to say the least.

It’s really highlighting how many idiots are in lane 2 wanting to go N25 east. I wouldn’t have given them the extra bit of merge and let them on their merry way up the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's backed up fairly decently on the N25 going to tunnel/city too. Not sure if there's any relation but I usually see it freer moving at this point of the morning (I'm in an office looking at the road)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Looked at the cameras for no more than two seconds to see someone swerving from the left lane (the Tivoli lane) coming out of the tunnel all the way across to the new slip without a care in the world about who might be in the lanes already.

Edit: The cones just further north of that are going to cause an accident tonight at rush hour. My prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I've just witnessed loads of near-misses by people carrying on towards the cones. A fair percentage of people are using that right hand lane to go to N25!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Just a few minutes looking at the traffic cams suggests that the day won’t end without an accident there.

Some of it is 100% the fault of the driver. I’ve seen multiple vehicles - incl one HGV - come out of the tunnel in the leftmost lane (rightmost as you see it on the traffic cam) and then having to cut across the other lane at the last second to get to Link D.

But some of it is down to the temporary layout and confusing signage regarding which lanes are legit for N25E.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

People are idiots.

Like, a car going from left all the way across to right has been sitting in the busiest slowest lane incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Looking at the actual traffic flows on the N40 North of Tunnel camera the above suggested layout would seem to facilitate a very natural and feasible flow, all that is necessary is appropriate road markings and signage.

Again, watching the camera for a while it's clear that only a small percentage of vehicles are heading on to Link D, certainly not enough to justify dedicating 50% of the N40 from Jct. 19 (Mahon) onwards to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Agree that there are some idiots out there but I feel forcing more than 80÷ of northbound traffic on Corks busiest junction into a single lane is more idiotic.

I just hope this is not the final design (right lane M8 only).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It would be insanity. Would they amend the line painting now so left lane of tunnel veers left and right line can be done the same. Looks like needs to be done sooner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

How did it come to this! Sat here watching a live traffic feed, watching people I don't know, on a road I don't know, waiting for the next impatient idiot or clueless clown to do something stupid.

Just a shame the camera angle doesn't pan a bit more to the right so we can see the final merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Watching the feed there. There's gonna be **** carnage this evening.

The part they have yet to open (inside the ride lines below) suggests that the final layout will have the rightmost lane for N25 with the M8 being an “exit” off this to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's extremely entertaining, I must admit. Every few seconds a near-miss! Thankfully they're all going very slowly, so it seems to be working out OK!

As much as there idiot drivers, its commendable how many observant drivers there are who are reading the situation and preventing accidents.

There's a guy moving the cones now. The closed lane has been reopened.

Dangerous job, you'd really want a spotter in a situation like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thought that was closed off for an actual extended period of time. Fun's over so

According to the newsletter the plan was to close it off completely but I'd say they had no choice but to reopen it after all the near misses this morning.

I've just done a very unscientific traffic count using the N40 North of Tunnel camera between 12:00 pm and 12:10 pm I counted, give or take a few, 370 vehicles emerging from the tunnel of which 320 were headed in the direction of the N8/N25 and 50 taking Link D to the M8 which represents about 13%. So why are they allocated 50% of the N40?

I also noticed many emerging from the tunnel using lane 2 (marked M8 Only) and not exiting to Link D but continuing in the direction of the N25

I'm definitely going to tune in again at about 5:00 pm, I expect it to be more entertaining than turn one of any Grand Prix

• Advertisement

I called the overloading of the left hand lane out as a big issue back in January.

Surely someone knows what the final layout will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I sincerely hope that the final layout will give the option of N25 west to both lanes. I think it’s the only way that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Looking at the live cam of the northbound traffic coming out of the tunnel that looks like very likely. Based on what I'm seeing right now if I were to drive from Mahon to Middleton I'd stay in the right lane in the Tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I was wondering from the cameras why the turn was so sharp, but it makes more sense if they open that section and have the M8 exit as a more gradual one, in which case N25 traffic would be definitively allowed to use the right lane. The @niloc1951 estimate above of about one in every eight vehicles tallies with what I'm seeing on the camera. Not being from the area I'm surprised that it's that low, but it adds all the more justification for the N25 traffic to be able to use the right lane.

The general consensus here is that N25 eastbound traffic will be or should be allowed to use lane 2 on the N40 all the way through to the N25.

If that is to be the case, why have very permanent looking overhead gantry signs and road markings been installed on the N40 approach to the tunnel indicating lane 2 (the right-hand lane) is only for M8-bound traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Exactly. It would be great, but I see nothing to indicate that eastbound N25 traffic will be allowed to use the right hand lane of the tunnel. Plus, this still doesn't solve the tailbacks in the opposite direction which have no easy solution if M8 and N25 traffic is to remain freeflow.

I did something similar and 1 in 8 was my crude count too. One mitigating factor is that there are probably a lot of “aww shït…” moments in M8-bound vehicles today as people realise they’ve completely missed the M8. So the true count is probably higher than 1 in 8, but still far lower than what’s heading for the N25.

I agree, squeezing all the rush hour traffic from East Cork, Little Island, and Glauntaune areas into one lane on approach to the tunnel is going to be a long-term cause of long queues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

Watching the feed there and I'm shocked at the number of people going from the left lane of the tunnel, cutting across to the new Dublin Slip. All the past few pages have been giving out about or excusing the opposite practice (people in the righthand lane cutting across to N25E) for the past few weeks.

I'm baffled. Maybe there's been loads of cars making that manoeuvre under the underpass bridge the past few months.

Equally surprising - traffic seems to be flowing well.

Advertisement