Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Look it how they've behaved over the last 2.5 years.

Anti-woke crusades and talking about Hunter. That's evidence in itself how well Biden has done, Hell, Republicans are going to their base looking for credit for bills that Biden has passed.

Real Republicans, the John McCain kind must be in tears watching what their party has become.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The lesson that some of them learned from the January coup attempt was that "Nazi" isn't a toxic word for the American right so they've gone full on anti-free speech, misogyny, racism and anti-science when the science doesn't suit them which it never does.

Probably the vilest political party in the world at this point which makes sense since they produced one of the worst leaders of all time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Sorry, I'm not buying the both sides nonsense here.

AOC fund-raised for Texas while Ted Cruz ran to Cancun.

Bernie Sanders went to Republican heartlands telling them how improved access to healthcare would benefit them.

Look at the reactions from leading members of both sides to the news of Pelosi's hsuband being attacked versus MConnell's clear health issues.

Compassion on one side, vitriol and acrimony on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

If you want to see a circle-jerk of hatred for Biden , just look at his own comment section every time he posts a Tweet on X. The times he got community noted were plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And? I'm pretty sure a huge proportion of those accounts are also gonna be pushing conspiracy theories about the insurrection etc. So it's not exactly demonstrating a huge amount. I'd also put my money on similar tweets about him pre being elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

About to swallow my own tongue here by saying this, but: “but Trump!”

that’s gas poetry.

“In January 2020, the Donald Trump-led Justice Department formally declared that impeachment inquiries by the House are invalid unless the chamber takes formal votes to authorize them.

“That opinion — issued by the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel — came in response to then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s decision to launch an impeachment inquiry into Trump without initially holding a vote for it. Not only is it still on the books, it is binding on the current administration as it responds to Tuesday’s announcement by Speaker Kevin McCarthy to authorize an impeachment inquiry into Biden, again without a vote.”

As Brian Taylor Cohen points out, the OLC's opinion under Trump came months after Democrats initiated an impeachment inquiry under Pelosi in 2019, under the laws then, what they did was perfectly legal and parliamentarian, but because Republicans themselves kicked such a stink about the inquiry, they had this OLC guidance created, barring Congress from impeachment inquiry without a full floor vote.

And, Cohen points out, if the Republicans want to pierce the integrity of the OLC and its memos, then they are opening Trump to indictments for crimes conducted under office, namely Obstruction of Justice, under charges Mueller was prepared to recommend if not only for the OLC memo indicating that was not legally possible.

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

American politics has never been at a lower ebb than right now. You have two of the biggest jokes in the history of the planet running for president next year one guy a Russian asset and the other finds it hard to stay awake and string a sentence together. I'd say Americans deserve better but this is the best they deserve it seems. The rest of the world looks on and laughs hard.

American politics has indeed been at a lower ebb.

Jan 6th, 2021, the sitting President led an insurrection aiming to prevent the winner of the election from being ratified.

And it is testament as to how Biden has done, that his age is the stick people are using to beat him with time and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,942 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A lower ebb than... the American civil war? Or when Hamilton was killed in a duel? Nixon? Clinton and Lewinsky's dirty laundry being aired for the world to see?

I think we can tell when a post is a hatchet job displaying spectacular levels of ignorance of politics and history.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's amazing that even after Jan 6th people are still at the "both sides" guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I find it so strange how PERSONALLY some posters seem to take ANY criticism of Biden - as though they were directly related to the guy or personally affected by the criticism.

The notion then that this criticism can be dismissed as "Trump fan", "far-right" or whatever nonsense pigeonhole classification they try to apply is straight out of Twitter or America's news outlets. Bar one user I think, we are not IN America and while we seem to be soaking up the worst of their societal/cultural disintegration and identity politics, we have more than enough issues of our own.

There are plenty of videos online (try Sky News Australia for one) of embarrassing or bizarre Biden gaffes, statements, random walk offs etc that at the very least should raise questions. Forget the accompanying narrative or commentary and focus on the video/words from Biden himself and it has to he obvious that something is amiss.

But ultimately it's America's problem and there's no point throwing out toys because not everyone is going along with the notion that the Emperor really IS wearing clothes (honest!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm happy to have Biden criticised but all of the "criticisms" so far have been either disinformation, link dumps from trash like "GOP Research", the dementia drivel, the crap about his age and the both sides nonsense. Nobody "criticising" Biden here can identify a single policy of his.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The left are giving plenty of criticism of Biden.

Every time you guys talk about polls not helping Biden, you're acknowledging that (or else you must be saying that only Republicans are being polled).

But what we (on the left) get annoyed about, is people holding Biden to a standard, they patently don't hold Trump to. That's the frustrating part.

Exactly. If Biden trips, he must be unfit for office. His predecessor tells people to shoot up on Domestos, all good.

Sky News Australia as an unbiased source? Might as well suggest Fox News or OANN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Let's just note, Sky News Australia has a pretty atrocious reputation. Pushed great reset, COVID conspiracies and is frequently used as a source by Alex Jones. So them running out of context clips doesn't make them a suddenly credible news resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

• Advertisement

That's why I said ignore the accompanying commentary/narrative and watch the actual footage/comments from Biden himself.

Talk of "following his orders" (not the first time), barely able to string a sentence together at times etc isn't inspiring - it's worrying.

When the "talk" comes from people defending a convicted rapist who attempted an insurrection, it can be safely ignored.

Biden has a stammer. This is well documented and if you are only noticing it now, you haven't been paying much attention.

Lots of men use the phrase "following his orders" as a little joke, usually in relation to "she who must be obeyed".

Did you see Biden's speeches in Ireland? Long speeches. Did you see anything there worrying?

The talk came from Biden himself

16 seconds in... again forget the Sky host commentary. Watch the footage. Biden looks confused, unprepared and lost. Not a great look surely?

Not clicking that. You can't scream fake news for over half a decade and then expect me to take your chosen source as gospel.

What exactly are we meant to be seeing here? Apart from a garbage TV station spewing out anti Biden conspiracy theory nonsense?

Have you ever giving a podium presentation and needing to say something while the audience watches you as you sort out your notes...

Go back and look at his speeches in Ireland this year.

A video where the commentary is worthless. This is being presented as a source.

Your choice. I'm not sure what you're on about but it sounds like the same nonsensical pigeonholing tactics I referred to above.

You presented a source while stating that I should ignore the opinions of said source. I took it as seriously as was warranted.

• Advertisement

I'm telling you to watch the man (Biden) himself. Ye can keep dismissing and discrediting sources because you don't like the editorial (which is why I told you to ignore it for the purpose of this example), but you can't ignore Biden's actual performance live on screen.

Now unless you are suggesting that Sky put the video together themselves/edited in a voiceover/maybe deepfaked it (but that would be even more ridiculous and conspiracy laden than the accusations thrown out to dismiss these examples), then the concerns are there to see

This is in response to both of you - this stupid broken site still doesn't make it easy to multi-quote properly.

Advertisement