Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

It’s funny nothing has reminded me of the onset of old age almost as much as today fm. I used to love the station 20 years ago even 15. These days as I approach 50 I cannot stand the music they play, don’t understand the DJs “banter” find their accents grating and indistinguishable and am totally disconnected from the stuff they talk about.

i find myself looking forward to my car trips to Dublin now where I’ve nova to flick on and at least here some decent music or even sunshine or classic hits. The bar is low I know but sin e.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't be letting facts get in the way of my rant. You know what I'm getting at, the cash machine is plugged ad nauseum on TodayFM, and it has meant I rarely listen to it any more. I'm sure plenty of others have tuned away too because of the constant chat of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Speaking of which, and I know its off topic to Today FM, but I have never seen someone with such an overheightened sense of their own celebrity than Fox. She must be high maintainence and thinks hanging around in vain circles attending 'style events' makes her Maya Jama.

Phew. Rant over.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Who is Laura Fox?

by the way was in a cafe this morning and they had Alison Screechy kids Curtis on. Christ almighty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

2fm weekend late morning presenter. Basically went for the most opposite of Louise MacSharrey they could find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Curtis actually asked a caller from Galway called Pamela was she Pamela Joyce today.

She covered one of the weekday daytime slots a few weeks ago, and her only 'thing' is to have shout oots. Can't do anything else but does seem ideal for the mammy brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

tbf she's more personable despite being a bit an irritating influencer type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

As a previous avid listener to Today FM, the cash machine has made me switch. Its a combination of the frequency and the duration which must be over a year now? Can't believe they are still people entering for 2.50 + per day

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kim_Lee

I can understand why long term Today FM listeners would find the cash machine jarring, I was listening to the classic 9 @ 11 recently for the first time in ages and the first thing the host did before the countdown was a long plug for the cash machine. Many people would remember the days of Power Power on a Saturday morning saying thanks to the news reader and getting straight into talking about memories of the year of the classic 9, not shilling a lottery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Classic 9 at 11. Is that another station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Firstly, as regards the cash machine, that is common to all the Bauer Media-owned stations, but it seems from reading various posts in threads that the frequency of it being mentioned by presenters seems to vary. I think in the case of Newstalk it gets as little mention as once a hour.

In relation to the Classic 9 at 11, that is a Today FM feature. I think it is still on Saturdays AFAIK. It was based upon a weeknight feature that Tim Kelly used to do on 98FM - the Classic 9 at 9 - and then he transferred to Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Previous custodians to the Saturday morning Classic 9 at 11 include Jessica Maciel, Phil Cawley and Tim Kelly

The reason I've never played the cash machine is that I'd be worried if I won that I'd have poor phone reception when they'd call that the line would drop or that I wouldn't be able to remember the amount on the spot. Phone reception for voice calls must be the only technology that has dramatically regressed the past 10 years

Post edited by Kim_Lee on

Is Paula Mac Sweeney still officially on maternity leave? Is she going to return full-time? (I know she's done an odd fill-in for Alison Curtis the past few months) I presume she was the permanent host of the classic 9 @ 11 as well as Mon/Thu evenings 7/10 before going on maternity leave

Jez, I thought that TodayFM pushed the cash machine hard, but it doesn't compare to the promotion of Monopoly at McDonalds that Ray Foley is doing on his show.

They are getting their advertising value for money, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

She was in last weekend for Louise Cantillion, if I recall correctly! It is a great question though. I would much rather see Stephen Daly take over 7-10pm weekdays full time than her return but there would be too many men on the schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Dave Moore show, there's just something off about it. It's Dave presenting but it's like there's nothing there behind the voice. Just laughing aimlessly at everything. He really needs a Co-presenter with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I happened to hear some of an interview Dave Moore gave yesterday to Matt Cooper on The Last Word. I did not realise that he had a musical background and, in particular, that he was a producer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

I see on Dave Moore show they now have bad jokes on Tuesday and Thursday. Mmm flogging a dead horse me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 matrix mick

Are they both new or is one "classic" bad jokes?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Did anyone hear Stephen Daly was on with Alison Curtis this morning? They mentioned a producer Jess. Is Jessica Maciel back working behind the scenes at Today Fm after her departure last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭TheBMG

its a different Jess (Spencer in this instance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I've given up pretty much completely on today fm. It's all just homogeneous noise at this stage. Previously I only listened to Matt Cooper and Paul McLoone or Ed back before they neutered him. I don't know how they can't fit a 2 hour slot in at night for some alternative music. It's like they're trying to drive listeners away with the shite they force Ed to play. It's especially weird when Tom Dunne gets a 2 hour slot on Newstalk to play whatever he wants on a non-music Bauer channel. Anyway, I'm glad in a way I've been forced to look elsewhere, John Creedon is a pleasure to listen to followed by Dan hegarty at 10 on 2fm. I would still throw on Matt Cooper in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Obviously not " Playing the music you love".

Dempsey played Pink, then Rihanna, then Britney Spears.

Zero imagination. Do the public really want to hear the same songs/artists over and over? Perhaps they do.

Edit: and the 1st 2 songs on the 9am show are Beyonce "All the single ladies", and OutKast "Hey ya".

I'm out.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

At least if you miss Dempsey, you're guaranteed to hear said artists on the next show!

Also hearing a Backstreet Boys song described as a classic - as if we won't get to hear it at least twice more this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It's inoffensive background noise in work or the car when you have company.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 TK_Lemonade

I came here to say the same thing, it's "safe".

Advertisement