Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheeky neighbour or how would you handle this ???

Options
  • 13-09-2023 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Had a neightbour move back from america, the house has been finished over the last 12 months, but construction had commenced on the house before i bought that field in 2009 ( the site would have been part of the field years ago and was fully fenced off )

Anyway in January 2021 the neightbours father took down part of the fence to replace it. I would have bought the land off this man. Never asked or consulted me in the fact he was taking it down ( didn't ask for a contribution either only to dig 2 holes) but in the meantime left my land non stock-proof for months at the time

So the fence was badly replaced and now they are home from america have put up a 4 rail timber fence over the last 2 weeks. Again no consultation and the first wind of it was the father driving a 2wd jcb 3cx up the field after 2 days of rain and digging from the field into the site (Bucket and jacks down) he was asked /told to move it there and then in fairness he came to me a few hours later to apologise (he is lovable sort of rouge but im not getting walked on) and i get on well enough with him and his daughter and son in law live beside me and we get on the finest since 2009. ideal neightbours

On Sunday i was spreading slurry and i notice a 3ft gate built into the new timber fence. almost completely seamless just i noticed the hinge and well now thats a little uncalled for , i have not spoken to these yet

So 3 options i am thinking

1) Direct them to remove the hinges and put back in permanent rails

2) block it my side with 4 rails

3) install 2 stands of electric fence or bard wire on my side and pretend its to stop animals from using the fence as a scratch post

All advice welcome or indeed a link to a helpful article

Post edited by greysides on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Set up this on your side

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Option 1 seeing as they didn't ask you. Presume its to be able to retrieve something like child's football that might come into field?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

no idea , they do have 2 kids . I have never spoken to them ever so permission was never given or implied by me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Maybe you should install a 12 ft gate farther along. Only joking really.if I was you I'd discretky put a couple of screws to keep it shut.if anyone says anything you can have the discussion about it then and say you just didn't want some one letting it open and cattle going into their lawn

• Advertisement

yes i was thinking that. i dont plan on fallng out with someone but equally i am not going to be walked all over either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Better plain wire, in case they get snagged on it, hedge might be difficult to establish if they give it a chemical wash every now and then. Definitely the field cant used for access without a by your leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Talk to them, say its an insurance thing, No gates. See the reaction. Might be you/they can just disable it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d be going with option 3 regardless of the gate being there or not. For the small cost it will be to put 2 strands of electric wire around the site it’s worth it rather than getting a phonecall in a year or 2 to say some of your stock have knocked a section of the post and rail fence scratching on it and are in on the lawn!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Exactly. They might never use that gate, just put it in "in case". You know the way some fellas think!

You're not making any fuss, you're just making sure that gate is never used. And you're letting them know you're not a fool either without having to say it out loud.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

yes definitely only that rarely is there stock in that field now

But yes il going to put 2 strands of wire around it

If you rarely have stock there have you power in an electric fence near to it that you can join into?

I’d be getting 6 or 8 of the yellow electric fence warning signs as well and clip them onto the wire all around it too. Just to be sure it’s clear for everyone to see that there’s power in the wire and no one can accuse you of trying to electrocute poor little Johnny when he was only going out to collect his ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We had this. A gate put into the fence, no consultation. We had sold the site to Mary, who's parents had bought a site off my dad years ago. Mary's dad would hop through his hedge and walk the dog daily. Never a problem. Then Mary built her house and left herself a nice gate with a spring loaded hinge. Her father became ill and wasn't able to go for his walks anymore but she'd bring her kids an odd time. Never asked me, just assumed it was OK. The spring on the hinge broke and the gate wasnt being closed. Cows ended up in their garden a few times. I got pissed off, went up nailed timbers across the gateway. Put barbed wire on it and put a big printed sign about it being a farm. Never said a word to them. They haven't set foot put onto my land since.

i would have mains fence power about 200 yards away so thats no big job . Ye a few electric fence signs would be the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Get out the pan mixer, it's Berlin wall time 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

I often wonder who's job it is to stop cattle scratching against timber rail fence posts

Is it the farmer should be putting up electric fence to stop his cows scratching

Or the home owner to put up a fence to stop the farmers cows scratching .

It has lead to problems around here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭brokenbad

O.P - A picture of the gate would be good for context

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ThreeGreens

If you get on well with them, then why not just go and ask why did they put a gate onto your land? Better having an open conversation rather than trying to be smart.

What do you do when they come back asking that you turn off the electric fence as some of their children got a shock from it, and you don't have any stock there anyway?

If you've good relations with them, then openness and honesty is probably the best way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see a similar setup on a neighbour's place. He doesn't seem too bothered. I said it to him (the farmer) about the gate been in bits, but he just shrugged it off.

OP, just go and talk to them. Tell them that by right, it shouldn't be there and say how you are responsible legally for fencing in your cattle. A gate that can be left open, compromises you on this.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Don't see why you can't ask them the reasoning for them putting in the gate as they have no entitlements to the land.

If their response is not satisfactory you can then tell them that you have concerns about it and would prefer it to be closed off for security is your livestock and for future legal/access permission reasons.

I don't think that going in and doing anything of your own bat is going down the right road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We had the same problem on the outfarm. A site had been sold years previously before OH inherited it. About 10 years ago the people who owned the site sold it and the new people got planning and built a house. The original fence was three strands of barbed wire and they replaced it with post and rail and a 12' timber gate onto our land. We noticed it one day when herding cattle. Instead of causing any arguments OH brought the 50B up with posts, a few telephone poles as strainers and barbed wire. We fenced our side with three strands of barbed wire and he made sure to place one of the strainers where their gate was located. Problem solved and it was never mentioned after.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I mentioned it to Mary about the gate being left open, she said oh dad is a bit forgetful. He had been bedridden a while at this stage. So it wasn't him. It's one less worry not having to check it anymore

have never spoken to them

The house was build about 2005 they left it as a shell and went to america i bought here in 2009 and they moved back mid august

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I hate seeing these questions being asked online because the replies always seem to want to escalate these things to more than they are.

Just sticking an electric fence up without saying anything comes across very passive aggressive.

I always like to take the route of de-escalation.

if it was me I’d keep my powder dry. See if it’s getting used. You’ll see a path worn if it is. If so let a few cattle in. Leave them a day or two and then knock at the door. Say you noticed the cattle are scratching at the fence and you’re going to put up an electric fence to protect their nice fence.

Yes they were in the wrong but communities aren’t games. There is no prizes for “winning” in these situations and we all get defensive when we get accused of wrongdoing so if you can do it in a way that makes them feel like they are being helped rather than being accused it will have a better result long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You're neighbours FFS.

You haven't met them yet, but you have to live next door to them for the foreseeable.

Why on earth wouldn't you open a dialogue with them about it, rather than all the passive aggressive stuff that will just more than likely get everyone off on the wrong foot and put backs up? Try as a first resort to establish a cordial relationship with them, like a reasonable grown-up.

Having a chat with them doesn't equate being a doormat, or being taken for a fool, or whatever you imagine it might look like.

They may just have no clue about farms and cattle and fences.

Equally, they may be absolute chancers or gougers, and if that turns out to be the case, then you can escalate to Defcon10 if you want.

But for the easiest possible life into the future, getting on with your neighbours is a key ingredient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd say nowt for now, any hint of grass clippings, prunings etc going through the gate n go with the electric fence.

Had a pr#ck of a neighbour used cross the road to dump his stuff at our ditch. After he peed us off one too many times had the council litter warden out n he shifted it.

I would agree completely about keeping good relationships with neighbours and that would be exactly the reason I would put up the electric fence.

Post and Rail fences aren’t cheap. If I went to the expense of putting one up and the farmer the other side of it didn’t put up a bit of electric fence to keep his cattle back from scratching it and damaging it I’d be rightly pissed off.

One home owner joining my land who I’d be very friendly with pulled down the sheep and barb wire fence that was in place for about 15 years around his site and put up a post and rail a few years back. He had no gates or access of any kind left to my field so there were no issues. Without talking to him about it first I put down stakes and electric fence outside it to keep my stock back. He came to me one day and told me there was no need as it should be his responsibility as he was the one that took down the existing stock proof fence but thanked me for doing it.

It didn’t cost me a huge amount, it gives me piece of mind for my stock and his fence is protected so everyone is happy. I’d view any farmer that wouldn’t do the same as downright ignorant to be honest.

• Advertisement

on the old fence i had a separate electric fence up

Since i reseeded it in summer 2021 i have been only using it for hay and silage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement