Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You've been had! Kenny sold a line and you've swallowed it. He picked the same team as McCarthy except for retirement and then injuries. The young players he selected were the best players available. That's what he's done in his tenure, picked what he thought was the best team at the time. He wasn't building for 2024.

For example, Martin O'Neill gave debuts to more players than Kenny, was he building for the future? Of course not. Kenny was blessed to be appointed when some of our best young talent in a generation were making breakthroughs. That gave him an option to replace Hourihane, to replace Hendrick. Every single manager in his position would have picked Randolph, Collins, O'Shea, Knight, Ferguson, Idah, Molumby and so on.

He was given the opportunity to blend a squad that came so close to qualification for Euro 2020 with all this new talent and he absolutely blew it. And we did batter Denmark. Completely dominated the game. We've been on the receiving end of batterings before and come away with results, it happens. In both those games you mention, France and Holland had more shots than us. Nowhere near the 18 shots to 5 in the Ireland Denmark game though. And of course it's results that matter but that doesn't change the fact that we deserved to beat Denmark.

Eh no. According to Kenny fans, it was wrong for previous managers to bemoan the strength of our players but now that Kenny turned out to be a flop, the players are free game for criticism. Even Kenny was bemused about how any of us could dare think we could compete in a group with Serbia and Portugal. No wonder we were beaten before a ball was kicked in this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭Gusser09

SK would struggle to get a job in the 5th tier of English football. The third tier of french football, the fourth tier of german football etc.

So really the bar isnt that high for a new manager. A bit of looking aroubd should do it.

Exactly, we need to search but there are plenty of good, exiting managers out there. I know De Zerbi was with Shaktar but I was unaware of him before Brighton. There are managers like that out there. We need to enlist the help of actual experts in our search and we could unearth a gem. Think outside the box. An Ange Postecoglou, there are good young managers in Germany and Holland. We have exciting players that would be attractive for many managers. We're far better than 55th in the World. That's where Kenny has dragged us and you're right, he'd struggle to get a job anywhere else apart from the LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Shaktar are absolutely minted and would have been paying DeZerbi a fortune, he had also managed Serie A teams previously. Not a hope getting someone like him.

I'd love if someone could name who we could actually get to replace SK, the only person we could realistically get is Mark Kennedy from Lincoln City!

• Advertisement

Some managers in Seria A would be on around what Kenny has been getting. I was using De Zerbi as an example because there are many more like him out there. I'm not an expert on European or World football, we need to enlist experts to search for us. We need to think outside the UK and Ireland.

If we were to stick within the UK and Ireland, obviously Carsley is there but checking if Anthony Barry wants to step up would be an option. Unlikely to get him but McKenna at Ipswich. Then we could also approach a Benitez or Wenger type.

I'd rather we go with the European and Worldwide search but there definitely are options, don't you worry about that. We won't be stuck with Kenny for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

This thread really shows people up. Thinking the FAI will unearth a de zerbi from somewhere. Lads wake up.

Always excuses lad. Never actual solutions. We took a punt on an unknown outside of ireland and it has been a horror show.

I can see the loi lads giving any new manager from the continent an awful time.

There is absolutely nothing attractive about this job, it's a really weak squad and the wages aren't much.

You've no solutions either! People saying oh we'll find a DeZerbi or an Ange somewhere in Europe isn't much of a solution either.

I just think we're f**ked no matter what we do with this team, they're sh*te.

• Advertisement

This is meant to be a new version of the FAI. That they've stuck with Kenny this long is a bad sign but it's not John Delaney choosing the new manager, they might actually ask for outside help to help them choose the correct man. It would be worth the investment.

A squad full of Premier League and upper championship players with one of the most exciting strikers in World football emerging. That is very attractive and I'm sure we can up the wages for the right man. We increased Kenny's wages and he was diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Stephen Kenny is so out of his depth. Statistically the worst Irish manager of all time. That takes some doing considering Steve Staunton was in charge.

He's a disgrace tbh. If he really cares about Irish football like he claims he'd step aside immediately as he's doing serious damage every game he's in charge.

This is his last campaign regardless.

Back to LOI which is his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We could easily be more competitive at least under a new manager. We've been losing far too many qualifiers and Nations League matches under Kenny - a good coach could certainly move us up any group table and see us picking up points that we shouldn't keep dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

people are out of their minds if they think we can "unearth" a de zerbi. he was getting plaudits for ages at shak + in italy. national team jobs arent attractive to these guys, its either going to be an older manager who doesnt want the day to day of club football anymore(hopefully wilder) or a younger irish manager who'd take pride in getting the gig as its his national team (a la ange with oz , dont forget though he got lots of criticism in his time in charge, easy to forget now hes the flavour of the month)

I just hope Kenny supporters cop themselves on and support the new man. Kenny failed miserably, they need to get over it and let the new man try to recover from the mess he's caused.

To at the very least get a playoff position for the Euros. To not get that is a huge sign of just how bad it's been under Kenny.

I Do.

Approach Carlsey for start. I think we might be surprised. The reason Southgate got the job was because Big Sam done a Big Sam on it. I can't see Carlsey getting the England job.

Chris Wilder - 55 now. No reason why he might not want a challenge in international football. He will get us organised and hard to beat but will also be able to get us playing some sort of direct football. Not just passing for the sake of it.

Dean smith - See above

Chris Hughton - See above

Philip Cocu

Brian Barry Murphy- Head of Man City Elie development u23s

Javi Gracia - Ok was on PL wages. But ask the question. Possibly another person who would like a challenge.

There are dozens of manager on the continent then that you could look at.

The narrative that is trying to be spun by certain quarters that there are no alternatives and we should stick with this failing regime is an agenda. I know certain posters and LOI lads will sneer at the above names but who would they go for?

Oh please God no I'd keep SK for the rest of his life instead of Chris Hughton!

Carsley isn't happening but Wilder or the others would probably be worth a shot.

Whoever gets the job it's a risk. There's no guarantee anyone works out. De Zerbi got the boot earlier in his career. What I was saying is there are others like him out there. Why should we limit ourselves to one market? I really hope the new FAI are more open to thinking outside the box. Of course, there are huge doubts about that.

I really think the negativity around our squad brought on by the Kenny era is what really needs to change. How dare we think we should come close to qualifying for major tournaments, how dare we think we can attract a decent manager, all this nonsense. The last 3 years have been absolute poison. Whoever the new manager is has a lot to fight against but we can only hope he can bring some positivity.

• Advertisement

So you would take abject failure over a manager with decent experience? Hughton wouldn't be my first call but he'd be better than SK. Jim Gavin or Jim McGuinness would be better with a decent coaching setup FFS.

This is the result of Kenny's tenure.

You can't lose so many games against everyone and keep pointing to the future in mumbled interviews. "But we eh.....it was a eh tough......the french eh tony....ye know are eh good team like eh.........." " We eh have capped eh 20 players and eh that eh bodes well for the eh tony the future you know."

A **** laughable scenario and situation to find ourselves. Run down the players all we want but run down the manager more. He is out of his depth. He looks like he has never been in charge of a team before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus and I thought the diehard Kenny lads on the Ireland soccer forum were dreamers. Fellas like De Zerbi? We might as well talk about winning the lotto.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Is it too much to ask for a manager and backroom team with a modicum of tactical nous?

Kenny, Keith Andrews and whoever else is there failed entirely to notice that the Dutch had changed formation at halftime the other day, didn't make any subs or positual changes until after the 70th minute when the Dutch were ahead and cruising.

Imagine being tactically outclassed by Ronald f*cking Koeman 🙄

That's the most recent example, there have been plenty similar over the past three years (think of the Greeks absolutely shredding us down the wings in the game in Athens)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You only had to listen to Andrews on co-comms or as a pundit to realise that he’s another absolute waffler. Useless

He had been trying to boost his media profile by shooting his mouth off about anyone and anything, Been lambasted in the media by respected former playing colleagues like Seamus Coleman, Roy Keane has called him a bullshitter, O’Neill had a dig at him too. Being wrong is one thing but…. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt….

So looking at who Kenny is surrounding himself with… doesn’t appear to be much of a winning formula..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is one of my main problems with Kenny. He seems to be a poor reader of the game and makes terrible substitutions. I think part of the reason we keep on losing is because his game management skills are so inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Good post.

Does anyone know anything about Chris Wilder? What's his style of play?

I think a high pressing system would suit us.

I like the idea of a wily old fox type manager also who's a bit out of fashion but would relish the challenge.

A Pellegrini, Benetiz, Rainieri type.

I know these are all in employment.

I like Stephen Kenny but unfortunately he's failed at the minimum requirement and his time is up.

The performance against Greece is what sealed it for me. I don't like the 3-5-2 formation as it lets teams have control of the wings and that's what Greece did.

We've had good moments and good performances even recently like home to France and Holland but it's not enough. I think he's been unlucky also with all the wonderstrikes conceded also.

It would be good to look for up and coming managers who know modern football tactics like box midfield, inverted fullbacks, pressing traps, sweeper keepers and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's also down to the coaches the manager brings in to assist them.

Kenny's best set of results as Ireland manager came when Anthony Barry as his assistant and coach.

Anthony Barry was quickly poached by Belguim when it became clear he was the football brains behind Ireland, He then moved on to coach Portugal for the World Cup and is now assistant manager at Munich.

Scotland's Steve Clarke was a highly respected coach who worked under top class managers and big football personalities and got on with the coaching at Newcaslte (Guillt) Chelsea (Jose) West Ham (Zola) Liverpool (Dalglish) befoe going into management himself in the Championship and Scottish premier league with bang average teams before taking over Scotland.

Kenny has shown his in game coaching match awareness is nowhere near a level needed good coaches have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

He's not a disgrace. He's a man doing a very tough job that he's probably not good enough to do. That doesn't make him a disgrace and it doesn't make him a bad manager.

The stats, used the way you've used them, really mean dick all. Staunton had a much, much better squad to choose from. That's not saying Kenny is any better or worse than Stan but the comparison based purely on wins and losses doesn't make a lick of sense.

• Advertisement

There are plenty of possible candidates. The FAI need to be careful and not get fleeced though. We'll need to be looking at the Championship and mid European leagues for a candidate. The French League, Belgian League Dutch League etc.

I still think Carsley should be approached first. If that's not going to happen you then start looking elsewhere. Possibly Javi Gracia.

I can see zero point in leaving SK there until the end of this group. Things are going to be toxic now that he knows and the players know he is going. It's brainless stuff to leave this regime in place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement