Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I'm not disagreeing with your what you say about giving information to witnesses vs victims. But if the op was classified as a witness rather than victim, that is absolute BS. Op was a victim of reckless endangerment.

This is from the Irish statute book.

.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence who intentionally or recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another.

There is a substantial risk of death or serious harm. To me the op is a victim not a witness. Drivers who overtake like that driver did should be charged with reckless endangerment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Surely, by logic, you're only a victim of a crime once someone has been convicted of that offence. Until then you're just a witness to a potential crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I wouldn't think so. To use an extreme example, if somebody shoots you dead, you're still the victim of a crime, but you're not going to be much use as a witness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It merely has to be an act which is a punishable offence, it doesn't have to be punished for it to be a crime. Crimes go unpunished every single day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the ddifference lies with the charge applied by AGS. If I see someone speeding, I can't really be a victim but I certainly can be a witness. If the car is driven too close to me as a cyclist, then yes, I may be a victim of their driving but when I report it, I simply am a witness. The gardai won't pursue it because I believe I'm a victim. They pursue it because I made and signed a witness statement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

exactly. it's like saying the shooting of JFK was not a criminal act because no one was convicted of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Mirror, indicate anyone! https://streamable.com/2r219l

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Arsehole

Borderline close pass into oncoming traffic, completely pointless as the lights are red and you can see the "Bus Stopping" light is illuminated so he knew he was stopping at the next stop plain inconsiderate driving! https://streamable.com/jhiaxx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Maybe Dublin Cycling has made me harsher or the camera lens is affecting it but it certainly doesn't look terrible to me. Could be better but I wouldn't have even noticed myself.

No, you're right I've had plenty worse it was more that he overtook coming to a red light and knew he was stopping at the next stop just past those lights that annoyed me if I hadn't had the camera out to check if I'd missed the left hook guy indicating or not I'd not have given it a second thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Noticed this happening to me more and more lately from DB - its very annoying and completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Personally i wouldn't have overtaken into the oncoming filterlane, although not indicating the white suv could have turned right to use it.

The last two video ls highlight poor driving no doubt but they are also clear issues of poor road design which put cyclists into additional danger.

Buses on busy roads like that should have dedicated areas to pull into and the cycle lane on the inside in the previous video is just putting to much responsibility on drivers to be perfect when turning and thats never going to happen. An easy solution to a junction like that is using technology like sensors to detect bikes or weighted under tar sensors in the bike lanes to illuminate pedestrian / cyclist crossing lights simultaneously.

I feel your pain. But part of me also feels that DB drivers are as frustrated and inconvenienced by poorly design cycle lanes as cyclists are. Personally I find them pretty competent most of the time. Taxis, private coach companies and minibus drivers far worse in Dublin city centre/ suburbs in my experience.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I"m not actually 100% certain, somewhere near Mount Juilet coming from Stoneyford (taking the road where the dog kennel is)

I was cycling from home to St Mullins to do the barrow way, never cycled the road before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Normally I agree - I wouldn't fancy piloting a 20T Dublin Bus in city traffic so I respect them for that. Like everyone however, there's good and bad eggs and its a new repeated behavior on a certain route (H3) in a certain area (Sutton - Howth). To overtake a cyclist when you know you're going to stop within 100m is just plain rude tbh.

Not a cycling near miss but was in Roundwood on Saturday to do the Lakers 10k run.

Sun was shining and plenty rentals and GoCars about. Pretty obvious plenty others about who don't drive much.

The standard of driving was so bad that it's worrying.

3 times!! Cars drove straight through the pedestrian crossing with pedestrians in the middle of it. One father was so mad (his 2 kids were also crossing) that he took off his shoe and fired it at the merc that should be taken off it's owner.

I also saw the following in my short time

• A car drive straight up the wrong side of the road into a blind bend - this was obviously a foreigner that forgot himself and got a serious shock
    • A car overtaking a bus down through the speed ramps on the way into Roundwood
    • A bus driving far too fast through the village with his wheel over the white line, basically bulling everyone else off the road
    • Several dodgy overtakings of cyclists (of course)
    • A woman parking a VW Eos who frankly couldn't drive. As her friend "directed" her, she hit the car in front once and the car behind twice, that I saw. I then went over to see if she wanted a hand and was told everything was fine. Went back and left her reg under wiper of car behind, nice bit of bumper rash

Not sure messing with speed limits is going to save us all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There was a GoSafe van parked at the start of Roundwood Saturday morning, just at that row of parking spaces on the left as you come in from the Dublin direction. Not sure if it was just parked or active but some might get something in the post soon enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i only recently learned that the cameras on go safe vans have a range of approx 60m. explains why so few people get caught on national slow down day, they really only catch the absolute thundering idiots who can't see the vans.

• Advertisement

Really??? That's shocking. I'm surprised they catch anyone at all so. They had one of those vans on the coast road from Rathnew to Kilcoole at the weekend. Naturally the only two cars I passed within 3km of it flashed me to warn me. And this is on one of those windy 80kmph minor roads that most of our fatalities seem to occur on. Cos you wouldn't want the poor drivers doing 90kmph caught, would you?

it came up on a thread from 2016:

edit: there was some confusion in another thread, as there were claims they have a range of over 1km. the handheld laser assisted cameras the gardai can use have that range, as they can track the car from that distance away, as it's aimed by a human i guess.

there was a recent thread about the proposed speed limit reduction (in motors or infrastructure) and one of the posters there said he/she regularly passes a point which is a favoured go-safe van location. and that they flash oncoming motorists, but only if the van is not there.

give that person a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭sheriff2

Started back cycling in and out of work. It amazes me the amount of cyclists on the N4 main road rather than using the bike lane. Then rather than using the fly over bridge over the M50 lads are staying on the main road into Palmerstown, its absolute madness, one clip and your gone. Going over the bridge would add about 3 minutes to your journey plus your into Palmerstown with hardly a car on the road.

If your one of these madmen on the N4 dicing with traffic into Palmerstown - Why do you do it....

surely the risk far outweigh the reward.

Jeremy Vine nearly came a proper cropper this morning

I'm going to take a wild guess.

The bike lane is either shite or covered in shrapnel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Complete shite. At exits 5, 3 and 2, if you can't turn your head 180 degrees, you need to come to a complete stop and wait for a gap in traffic. Twice for each exit.

At exit 4 you have to take the slip road up, wait at traffic lights at the top, and then go back back the other side.

At one point (Tandy's Lane), you've to yield to a disused road.

That bridge over the M50 is slippy too, bike has gone from under me on it. That was after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to get to it without having to mount a kerb and cross the verge.

Having said that, I use Lucan village and Strawberry beds to get into town. Much nicer all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's not actually. The bike lane is fine there, I've used it for 12 years now. Yeah you have to slow down for the bridge section to get into the Palmerstown side but it's not a huge deal, then you have very little traffic all the way to the slip road at Chapelizod, you can either take the bus lane on the N4 from there into the city or drop into Chapelizod and take the admittedly crappy bike lane past Phoenix Park.

Absolutely no chance I'm risking myself with the M50 slip/flyover bridge/M50-N4 slip at rush hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I don't use this road. I don't know anything about the area, but I just looked on google maps at that "bike lane" and can immediately guess why people wouldn't want to use it. It's somewhere between a joke and a deathtrap by the looks of it.

Advertisement