Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Whatever about the bridge (I think the cycle bridge and detour here looks reasonably OK) the unsignalised slip road crossings and yielding to private entrances West of that are really poor

Edit: how do you even get to the cycle bridge from the N4? It looks like you'd need to cycle on a footpath or mount a kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

If you're using the cycle/pedestrian bridge over the M50 correctly you cycle on just under 3 km of former national road which is almost entirely empty of cars.

I'm not sure how that could be described as a death trap for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Are we talking about the same side here? The inbound side of the N4 heading into the city centre. It's an absolute death wish on that road. I'm all for using the road if bike lanes are inconvenient, slow you down or are dangerous but this is one of those sections I'll detour onto the bike lane for safety and in a rare instance the bike lane there is actually grand by cycling standards.

The outbound one is messy though with all the junction crossings, poor surface or traffic not yielding. There's a monster pothole in the bike lane at the Texaco junction that will shatter your wrist if you don't see it, it's invisible in the rain!

I appreciate your patience: I'm not familiar with the area.

How do you go from West of the M50 to East of it? For instance, starting at Woodies in Lucan. It looks (from the map) like you simply must be on the N4, crossing a number of sliproads at unsignalised locations. Maybe I'm not seeing an alternate route?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I have to agree here, the cycle/pedestrian bridge route is definitely preferable to the alternative of going through the main M50 junction which can feel intense even in a car with some of the crazies.

Route you would take is stay on the N4 until junction 2, then come off towards the Hermitage clinic and take the old lucan road past the Deadman's inn and join the pedestrian/cycle route just before King's hospital school. That'll bring you into Palmerstown village where you can continue on behind the Applegreen into Chapelizod village or re-join the N4 at this point where it's less crazy busy.

I generally find going west to east using the cycle lanes to be a decent enough route. Going west to east is a bit more haphazard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've crossed the M50 via the N4 (inbound) a few times when traffic is quiet but no way would I attempt to cross the M50N slip road during the morning rush.

The cycle path to cross the M50 is fine around there and I tend to use it heading in or out of the city. The only complaint I'd really have is that there isn't a ramp from the bus lane onto the footpath/cycle path meaning that I've to stop in order to get up onto the path.

As for the cycle path along the rest of the N4 - it's shite and is a good way to see a set of road tyres damaged quickly. On top of that, you've pedestrians, dogs and so on using the path. As I'll be travelling in or around 30km/h, I don't think this is suitable when on a glorified footpath. The bus lane is fine despite the odd dickhead driver who feels the need to punish you for existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

The inbound side of the road is a two way cycle lane where appropriate between the West County and Liffey Valley.

Most people continue on to Woodies. Given the yield signs in both directions it could be argued this section is also two way.

Apologies all, I see that route by the Hospital on the old road: makes a lot more sense now!

I was looking at that wide bit of path beside the bus lane and trying to figure out how people were using it safely: answer is "they don't use it at all". You're bypassing the slip ramps by taking the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Good god. Reading the comments on Twitter would make your head explode. It's clear that there is zero sympathy out there for any cyclists. People even suggesting that the cyclist was in the wrong because the van made a mistake and he should have helped him!

Goes to show that you can't win over the majority of motorists and they will always blame the cyclist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are lots of comments about him breaking a red, which is clearly for traffic coming from the right, and does not apply to him.

just in case anyone didn't watch the video, a van reversed when he was directly behind it and seems to have driven over his bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've done it a few times without issue, bike lane looks like it would add a lot more than 3 minutes. Last time I went over the N3 one I had lads videoing me while driving, even though I was keeping up with traffic, beeping at the danger I was causing and so on. The irony was lost on them.

Coming through a roundabout this morning, car from my right was slowing but not enough, I left off the gas just in case. They ploughed on through, only slowing enough to make the turn. As I stopped, I could see a father (driving), looking at and tickling their baby, while Mamai was throwing the baby in the air as a game. My brain couldn't quite compute the multiple levels of stupidity going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The thrust of the comments is - ah, the poor van driver made a simple mistake, and Jeremy was the one who put everyone in danger because he cycled behind the van which was obviosuly going to reverse to correct his mistake.

This is despite the fact that the van turned right (where there was no right turn), and then began to drive down the right-hand side of the road (i.e. the wrong side of the road) before reversing blindly.

Twitter really is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I saw a quote from GoSafe that "The general rule of thumb that we would use is that if you can see the van, you're generally in range." though the y probably would say that.

I'm not 100% sure how the cameras measure speed, and Google isn't providing anything concrete, though I imagine it's radar based. Given that they have to have an image of the offending vehicle as well, I reckon they'd need to have a relatively narrow field of view, which would limit the range somewhat as it'd need to be focused somewhere on the road and if the FOV is too wide, then the plate is likely to be unreadable as it'll be tiny in the image and thus more susceptible to motion blur/noise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Not if they are only approaching the roundabout

Can't see chippers post now but when I said right, I actually meant left. I was on the roundabout and they were coming in from my left. Sorry for my left/right issues

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chipper Chips i think was the latest incarnation of a serial re-reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ah, the other right :-)

As a pedestrian crossing correctly at the local mini roundabout, I regularly can be 3/4 of the way across (inbound lane and halfway across the outbound lane say) and some car comes along "nothing on my right (actual)".

When they see me in the middle of "their" lane I either get driven at and berated, driven at and eventually stared at with the astonished "where did you come from" look, or occasionally, they see me and stop correctly and allow me to finish crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Can anyone advise me how not to get killed turning right onto steevens lane on my way to heuston station?. I’ve been roared at twice and nearly taken out by a speeding car coming up the way and breaking a red light in recent weeks

I take a Dublin bike from harcourt street and go via the coombe.

I also nearly got taken out by two motorbikes with pillion passengers who overtook me on both sides at heuston station luas bridge. but that was a freak event and hopefully a once off

• Advertisement

Yes that’s the one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's a dodgy junction even when driving through it.

I absolutely hate it. Going to have to look at getting onto the quays I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Two cyclists(different times) hit the ground when taking a corner today when I was driving to the in laws. So be careful out there in the weather, roads still lacking grip

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Luas tracks make it one to avoid for me. Try going down Bridge St instead. You have a dedicated cycle lane for most of the south Quays. Leave the segregated lane at the last bus stop and cross three lanes to turn over the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They have a cycle light now at the Heuston junction to avoid the 3 lane death manoeuvre. Timings were **** when they first installed it but you're not waiting too long now

Thanks I’ll try that.

it’s a shame as Thomas street is reasonably pleasant to cycle along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Wasp got stuck in my helmet band this morning. Got the little bastard out before he stung. Lost an earphone though.

Little pricks.

Advertisement