Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change to derogation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think you'll be taking it for real and possibly paid to do it, next year. Agree with Bass, a lot of 100 cow farmers I see are fine. Over the last years many of them reduced or eliminated the beef enterprise on their farms. This reducing stocking and reduced the amount of inorganic N applied. Those farmers also are the least in debt. IFA action is pathetic as they know the horse has bolted long ago. Excuse the pun on they picketing the Horse and Jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone an idea of the stocking rate Gabe Brown advocates?

Not a follower, but do have organic mob grazing with a 43/44 day rotation. An estimation is 0.7lu per acre. This is on old grass swards. Think it will go to 0.8lu per acre with sward improvement, on one particular field. In my case that will be a reseeding with Multi Species Sward. The MSS is a high mix of plants and varieties, similar to the original Jena Experiment. Only starting to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I think you answered your own question on the cost.

The exporter may have to pay for spreading (i.e. disposing waste).

The followers of Gabe are at 1 lu per acre. Some more.

And from Gabes own experience brought up a degraded tillage soil from 1, 2% OM to 6%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

There's not very many similarities between south Dakota and here. The animals are about it.

Fair few this side of the Atlantic making a real go of it too.

Know a dairy manager in Oz going that way too. Not as easy with dairy stock though and the longer grazing intervals.

None of that has any relevance to derogation unless a large amount of farmers implement the system and show improvements in water quality on a large scale. It's just pie in the sky otherwise with nothing of substance as far as any policymaker is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

Dept of Ag figure...40% of farmers are short of slurry storage😒

Just leads to so many questions..

How come if they know that they've done ###k all about it?

How many derogation farms are short of storage? They've all signed a declaration thay they have, so why is it derigation farms targeted in this nitrates change?

A cow to the acre is in derogation. If people followed Gabe Brown they'd be in derogation. Gabe Brown system would show improvement in water quality bar the outwintering maybe.

But that system is being outlawed in this country.

The rest of the world call it regenerative and carbon farming. Here not allowed.

The entire country's nitrate levels should never have been dictated all against the livestock. Which as you drive the countryside compared to what livestock quantity we used to have in this country is a shadow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

That figure was from a few years ago and tbf measures have since came in to counter it.

FWIW they had us as short of storage but when they came to inspect they found that they'd completely missed counting a slatted tank which made us very "compliant", but I'm sure we're in the 40%. Same with a neighbour

Derogation farms for anyone else that doesn't know have their tank capacity measured by their teagasc advisor, dept, council and that's noted. And if you haven't got capacity. You're out.

What you're saying is, some guy out in America runs a very different system to us commissioner, some other guy in Australia is doing something similar to him, so can we keep our derogation?

What you need to be saying is 5000 farmers achieved X and this was the real world result. Nothing of that sort was done.

If it was up to me. I'd measure the nitrates leached from a permanent pasture sod. Go through all the different ratios of slurry, fym, Can, urea spread. Measure the nitrates leached from all the different ratios and none. Use this new nitrates test that distinguishes nitrates from animal manure to artificial N. Measure all that.

Then go to tillage ground. Compare the different tillage methods, plough, mintill, notill, cover crops sown, not sown, the different forms of N applied and not applied. Do the same tests as the grassland.

Use all these results as to the way to achieving the 3.5 mg. That figure will never be achieved but it's what the epa battered the Timoleague farmers with over the head with when they said their area was coming back at 5 being reduced and tillage areas 7.

It's for Teagasc to do the tests without bias. Purely for science and bringing down the levels.

If it was me this.

Because we don't have a domestic water charge, the EU have us in particular focus with regards to overall water quality. Believe it or not and I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

Yes, I could see 1lu/acre being achievable without inorganic fertiliser. Most of my grazed area is old permanent pasture. The milk yield or weight gain is the other part of that measure for consideration.

Is the target in Timoleague not 2.5?

It's so low that the feeling is that if there was no livestovk in the catchment, it still couldn't be reached.

Could be. I remember Ella smartly saying a low figure when someone was on praising the Timoleague catchment for the progress.

And what Ella conveniently forgot to mention that the Timoleague sewage tratment plant had just been installed...350 years of raw sewage into Courtmacsherry harbour..

How long will that take to washout?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Timoleague is a great example of things that can be done, but last year was an anomoly in terns of nitrates there and the numbers have rebounded this year after the dip. The key about the programme is that the levels weren't rising despite being a grassland area surrounded by many in derogation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I belive we have another change in that it has been agreed this morning that areas which have passed their water quality assessment are going to keep the 250 kg derogation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I've seen that on Twitter. The areas in white on the EPA's famous red map might be allowed to keep 250kg.

Not sure how it'll work in practise but at least we seem to be moving towards a more parish-by-parish (or catchment-by-catchment) approach and away from a countrywide, one-size-fits-all approach.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

fert sales down 17% this year as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

There was a share of stuff bought last year for this year so wouldn't bite in to that figure much. Fert reg will be more accurate in the next few years anyway

Seen this in the journal. How is the excess slurry now derogation is gone calculated? How can the option be reduce cows by 10 or export the slurry of 82 as per the last lad there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

A stitch-up job by the epa with help from teagasc in simple terms.....

A housed holstein cow in the uk giving 30 plus liters of milk is calculated to produce circa 350 gallons a month our 4200 gallons of slurry a year, the epa/teagasc tested some watery lagoon slurry/dairy washings and halved the n rate in a 1000 gallons of slurry and made it a new rule re export..n

It's the one issue I cant understand farm organisations trying to get reversed its farcical

Thanks. I hadn't copped it until I read that. Like if yer 10 animals over stocked, then ya'd imagine ya need to export 10 animals worth of slurry, albeit maybe a years worth and not just the housed period. How they figured out if yer one animal over the rate that ya need to export 8.2 times that animals slurry to be compliant doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

No. Unless yer paying someone to take it, but I'd see that as stupid too. If it's a valuable resource, and you can't use it, why would ya pay someone else to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's roughly the slurry produced by 20 cows over 52 weeks but still illogical.

The aim is probably to discourage derogation but they'll say they are adding a safety margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The penny has not dropped with you. there are two to three parts to the issue. first you have the value of the slurry. I think I did a calculation on another thread that a 150 acre farm stocked at 250kgd/HA to reduce below 220k would need to export 175K gallons of slurry. Traditionally a lot of slurry export was done on paper only.

If you are exporting especially to tillage farms they will insist on getting the volume and will not take watery slurry as it will cause them issues with P&K for there crops. Its not incomprehensible that slurry will have to travel a distance. In the best case senario you may get nothing for the slurry, in the worst case some of the transport cost may have to be covered. The P&K being removed will seriously deplete you farm levels very fast and need to be replaced.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement