Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheeky neighbour or how would you handle this ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

No one has the right to put a gate into your land only yourself.

Would it lead to a right of way being claimed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What way does the gate open? Does it open out into your field or into their garden? If into your field then simply sink a post on your side of the gate meaning that the gate won't open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Personal opinion is to put 2 or 3 strands of electric close to the post and rail ( 12 inches and a post in the middle of the gate. If the gate is in the corner a h frame from straining would render the gate useless. If questions are asked, play the line of you don't want cattle scratching of the post and rail.

Don't fall out if you can, but do it quick and if questions are asked as to why the gate is blocked. Very simple say the gate was going into private property leave it at that and move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If someone was using that gate for twenty years, I wouldn't buy a field with a used gate coming on to it.

Putting a gate is claiming acccess to the field and if they're not made take it down........ you just wouldn't know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This.

Not to mention unnecessary cost to you having to put electric fencing if no cattle.

I would be warning them about coming into the field, dangers of slurry spread there as well as roaming cattle.

Maybe they are planning family picnics or days out in your field!

If they had even come and asked you... No. this is too cheeky.

In no circumstance is it ok for somebody to put a gate from their property on to privately owned land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

What business did they have putting in a gate?

Dumping grass clippings from the ride-on mover? retrieving footballs? What size gate is it?

Worst case senario it could open up right of way claims in the future, someone could get hurt if cattle are in field etc.

I would do option 3, put up an fence outside their fence and leave it be, if the topic comes up it's to insure cattle dont knock the new fence down with scratching, and see how you go, if there's any mention of entering your land for any reason then that's to be declined obviously, if they are reasonable type of people try and not argue over it within reason, good neighbours are hard to come by, if they turn out to be arkward about it then put up a permanent fence and be done with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hear me out, this is wild, out there thinking for boards but....

...pop round and say, sorry to say but I can't leave a gate into my field, it's an insurance risk if your kids came in or my cattle got out. I realise your from America and might not have realised. If it's alright with you, cheapest option is just to put a few nails in it from my side but I can't allow unsupervised access , even if you're not planning on using it.

Most likely they didn't realise and thought nothing of it. To many who aren't farmers, a field is a field, probably thought the kids or the dogs could wander in. Now they now, job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And none implied by virtue of having a gate. A gate is just a moveable part of a boundary, but it's part of the boundary. At least they have built a solid boundary at their own expense, though it would have been common courtesy to mention it. It's all a bit strange though, you're friendly with the father and his daughter and husband. But not with this other son of his and not really spoken to them since returning?? Guess there's a bit more to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Aravo

Option 3 if i were choosing. If I owned that house I could for arguments sake fence the whole way around with 50no. Gates, would be pointless but I could do it. In your scenario it could be for the grass clippings. Also, the width of that gate could grow over time. Wouldn't it be handy to gain access to empty the septic tank, gain access for doing bits and pieces once the tarmac goes in at the front. I would fence with post and sheep wire and electric fence wire and put post at gate. Let some farmer let in a few sheep for a few weeks if the rest of the fencing is good to put them off the scent. If not sheep wire go with H straining post setup at gate with your current wire setup. To do nothing would in my mind be approving what they have done. Best of luck. This thread could do with a poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭mikewest

Can't be having that kind of straight thinking on boards. Far too sensible and non escalatory but by far the best suggestion so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Are you sure they haven`t a right of way. Sounds to me like they have one established

More like trespass to me. Apologising for having machine on land and then moving on. Very cheeky either way you look at it. This country needs an Irish Judge Judy or Judge Maureen, better ring to it. Could be a good earner for Rte, sold worldwide, solve their money worries in 12-18mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Robson99

If it was me I would put a fence inside the railing anyway to keep stock away from it. Go with barbed wire and sheep wire and make sure you have a straining post just inside the gate. They have no right what so evere to put a gate in it. Cheeky ...ts

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

A classic case of a man selling a field and still thinking he has rights to it.

Ask him what's the purpose of the gate and give him a gentle reminder that you bought the field off him all done with the right tone of voice should get ro the bottom of it.

If going down this route, the first discussion should be with the owners of the house. It's their fence and gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

The so called loveable rogue is calling the shots there.

Otherwise there would be no tiptoeing around the issue and you would be going straight to the house to find out what the craic is.

Maybe go with option 1 first then option 3. Sometimes you have to clean up others mess.

I do agree with cal naughton "A classic case of a man selling a field and still thinking he has rights to it".

I would not entertain sure if an animal broke in, it would be easy to let them out this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They could claim squatters rights to the field in 12 years? Like Pat Kenny did with his elderly Neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Other options is to ask them an you put cheetah stand off on the posts and put your electric fence on to them. You can get them.in different sizes from 6-24'' AFAIK.

On the gate I to the field it would really depend on the neighbours. If it's to collect a football that is kicked into the field I Bea bit easy on it. Where the problem is maybe 10 years or further down the line if the house is sold what rights are attached to it.

Finally there is the issue if they were walking greyhounds through your land. However it takes 20++ years to establish any sort of ROW.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Id be concerned about right of way. If you ever sold the field, that gate would devalue it. So 2 strands of wire. Be sure that a post lands where the gate is. Sell it to the neighbours that it's to protect their post and rail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This is the best reply and advice on the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

Also, you are in that area quiet often and you will return back - over the fence- any kite, ball, etc that u find on your side. Communication is the solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

The problem with that is that Jonny could be too young to read , could be dixlexic, be illeterate, etc,etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Get s con saw, cut a door for yourself in to the house.

Though Bogman Bass probably has the best path forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Imagine them coming home and you sitting at their table having a beer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is all a bit ridiculous! Surely anyone here who lives rural, with children and land adjacent that belongs to someone else often has a situation arising where a ball or frisbee or whatever lands over the ditch. You don't go around searching for the neighbour, you find the nearest gate or hop over the fence and retrieve it. This isn't creating any right of way. The legally minded might say there's an insurance issue but what sort of dick would sue a neighbour in this scenario. The gate here is part of the boundary, it doesn't mean anything other than it's a gate. If it's used to retrieve a sliotar, well & good, what's the problem? If it's used for other purposes, then time to query it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Any purchaser if the house was sold might feel the same as ROWs are generally not one way systems.

Imagine buying a house only to discover a ROW for someone to bring a herd of cattle through your lawn.

i keep myself to myself absolutely nothing more . the house in the middle is another daughter all the sliotars , tennis balls, footballs are thrown back over the fence to the house , they wanted to cut down a tree a few years ago and said it to me , and i suggested to knock it into the field instead of onto their lawn and to cut it up . i would be as reasonable as i can . I even dropped them up the tractor and log splitter

• Advertisement

no right of way in that field. The other fence was up for years why wasnt their a gate in it so ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement