Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Look who it is. Still don't trust the bastards

Never trust the word of someone who seeks to restrict your freedom for your own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The smarmy head on Pascal snickering at the stream of verbal diarrohea coming from McEntee's mouth.

This Govt seem to love introducing unnecessary and deeply flawed legislation.

Why dont they actually introduce some beneficial legislation to solve the many problems in this country instead of windowdressing.

They really are a useless bunch.

McEntee claims “we are introducing hate crime legislation for the first time, which does not exist in this country” which is just false. According to the Irish Times in 2017: “Ireland has one piece of hate crime legislation, the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989.

This must be what Supreme Court Justice Marie Baker of the Electoral Commission meant about misinformation, that free speech has to be balanced with "the right to not be misinformed". This is the same Justice Baker who chaired a group urging the government to “counteract the spread” of “hate speech”, and was also part of a group whose explicit goal was to challenge “far-right organizing."

They are all lying hypocritical bastards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

There is no such right as the right of not being misinformed - its every person duty and not right to filter out misinformation.

The 1989 act is about incitement to hatred not about hate crimes. The Minister is entirely correct in her statement.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

A great example of twisting words. From https://www.britannica.com/topic/hate-crime

hate crime, harassment, intimidation, or physical violence that is motivated by a bias against characteristics of the victim considered integral to his social identity, such as his race, ethnicity, or religion. Some relatively broad hate-crime laws also include sexual orientation and mental or physical disability among the characteristics that define a hate crime.

Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989, definitions:

“hatred” means hatred against a group of persons in the State or elsewhere on account of their race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, membership of the travelling community or sexual orientation;

So yes, we already have "hate crime" legislation. It just needs to be updated. Doesn't fit the agenda to push through feelings crime legislation though.

No. We have no current hate crime legislation.

Incitement to hatred and hate crime are 2 entirely different things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement

Incitement to hatred is about acts of hate such as speech, actions, or expressions that promote or encourage hatred or hostility usually towards a specific group of people based on attributes such as race, religion, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.

It would usually involve engaging in or advocating or encouraging others to engage in hate speech or harmful actions against a particular group.

Its usually about where it directly incites violence or poses a clear danger to public safety.

Hate crime is more about criminal acts committed against people or maybe property that are motivated by bias, prejudice, or hatred towards the victim's characteristics, such as race, religion, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.

Hate crimes could include assaults, harassment, maybe vandalism or even murder where the victim is targeted because of who they are or who they are perceived to be or perhaps associated with.

Hate crimes are treated more seriously under the law in many countries, resulting in enhanced sentencing such as extra prison time etc.

They are both very different then in law. There has been no hate crime law in Ireland upto now at all.

The proposed law is doing 2 entirely separate things

1 Updating the incitement to hatred legislation

2 Creating hate crime legislation for the first time

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

Incitement to hatred is about acts of hate such as speech, actions, or expressions that promote or encourage hatred or hostility usually towards a specific group of people based on attributes such as race, religion, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.

Hate crime is more about criminal acts committed against people or maybe property that are motivated by bias, prejudice, or hatred towards the victim's characteristics, such as race, religion, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.

Right soooooo, "The terms "act" and "action" are related, both referring to a form of behavior (motor, verbal, etc.) intended to modify the environment, either to avoid a danger or unpleasure, or to satisfy a need or desire."

They are the same, and we have a law for this. Glad we cleared that up.

Not the same thing at all but if you want to falsely believe they are go right ahead. 👍

Terry Pratchet

You haven't proved otherwise, this is the same song and dance from you from before. Claiming that this is totally new, when it isn't in the slighest.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

And there was I thinking that assaults, harassments, vandalism and murder were already crimes - silly me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This is why people say that the LGBTQ+= movement doesn't want equality, they want advantage. Specific laws just for them. Assault is assault, regardless of whether is was done because someone hated a certain group or was just random. The reason is only useful for sentencing, the facts remain the same otherwise; someone was assaulted so the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act is perfectly suitable. And if I'm not mistaken, the same law will be used but this new Feelings Hate Crime legislation would add another offence on top of that, just for people in these groups. Great way to make assault victims who aren't in those groups feel less important. It's unnecessary.

Then again, with her comments supporting the No-Confidence Commissioner what else do we expect from someone so inept. What qualifications does she have to make her Minister for Justice? Because she's doing a terrible job and this legislation and her inecessant push to get it passed is the highlight of her ineptness. She claims there's no crisis in AGS so she's obviously living in cloud cuckoo land and anything that she's trying to push should be rightfully questioned and prevented until clarified. Her clarifications amount to "This is important and we need it". Great clarity and leadership right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A good discussion on this crazy and dangerous legislation.

The Marie Keating Foundation isn't happy about the response to their prostate cancer campaign with a biological man who identifies as a woman. People simply stated the biological fact, that women do not have a prostate. Men do. That is a biological fact. To think the proposed hate crime bill would put you away for stating facts makes it worse. Read the Twitter thread to see how they speak. Telling. Complete capture

The abuse MKF got was absolutely vile and disgusting.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Doubling-down would seem to be the way to go alright... 🙄

I had a read of the comments under Denise's story and the article/extracts itself and the whole thing about doctors being wrong in their mistaken thinking that they were dealing with a male infant and Denise needing to correct that "error" after great personal struggles is just incomprehensible.

Then when getting tested it had to be redone because the lab actually took the label "female" (presumably as desired) and presumed it to be a testing error - rather than being open to consider the politics beyond the biology.

I mean it, the mental leaps that are being made in the piece are something else!

I sympathise with Denise's situation and am glad they have found peace and resolution, but biological facts are not mistakes and the doctor's weren't "wrong" in their assessment. The way this is written makes it sound like they were almost negligent and undermines the very real point that needs to be made - the need to be aware of the risks of prostate cancer and checks - by muddying the conversation with unnecessary identity politics.

Yet if McEntee gets her way we'll all have to tip-toe around people like this, lest they get offended by being reminded of facts or history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Any examples? Can't see any "vile" abuse at a glance anyway. Certain people really do lover their emotionally evoking adjectives though.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Yesterday at a United Nations event Varadkar said that Ireland is deeply concerned at the “alarming pushback against LGBTI rights and the rise of violence and hatred towards LGBTI people at home and abroad” he goes on to say how “draconian laws” were being re-introduced in some countries. The irony.

Anyone I know can see that the violence and hatred is coming from the side of TRA. His speech of course is awfully convenient considering the pushback this bill has received. And of course, there is no proof of what Varadkar has said. He quoted Mean Girls in his first address in the first lockdown thinking it was funny ffs. Read the article, infuriating.

Post edited by 1800_Ladladlad on

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Lovely people.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/protesters-bring-gallows-to-demonstration-outside-leinster-house-1528912.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But the most important part:

Two men have been arrested under the public order act and charged to appear in court.

No need for special and vague "hurt feelz" legislation at all. The Gardai are quite capable of handling any issues under existing laws.

• They are two limbs of the one body, imo the law needed updating to encompass all acts that might cause material/serious harm to a person, group or possessions thereof motivated by such prejudices

No idea what you are trying to say to be honest.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Would largely agree. I'm also sceptical about the need for this legislation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement