Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He's out working as an interpreter for Kim and Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Brendan Griffin made a quip about his constituents thinking they would better off at this stage buying a round of drinks than paying the TV license. Shortt took exception and decided to tell him off, forgetting perhaps, that he sat on a board for 5 years that was proven to be manned with incompetents, also ignoring the fact that his boss was there with a begging bowl because of said incompetence. It was exactly the wrong time to be getting all high-and-mighty.

His haughtiness probably cost RTE another few grand in unpaid license fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Didn't he say today it would be welcomed ? Maybe I misread, but if so, that's pretty much a moral request

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Different feel to this hearing today.

Basically everyone knows they are giving them the money. The bad guys are sent home and the good guys are now in charge. I can't help feeling everyone in that room is happy to create that impression. Alot of praise for Kevin.

I don't know if alot has changed. 80k per year for fair city set photographer. Hardly the first role you need to fill if struggling for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

God but these people need to get off their high horse and realise that a serious amount of the licence paying public are very unhappy with their crap.

Soho house! And Forbes and her ilk in time with their hands out whinging that they haven't funds to keep ret going.

Brass bloody necks on the lot of them.

See the D4 site and start putting manners and common sense into rte 'employees'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Is there nobody else around that can ask for it back??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

He's the staff rep on the board.

What do you expect him to say? " Yes we're going to cut our wages, cut staff and balance our budget"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Bakhurst can't keep up the 'Manuel, I know nothing' defence forever either in my opinion.

He was already in RTE, wasn't he, before everything started to come to the attention of the great unwashed.

He surely had some glimpses of the high life that was apparently par for the course for so many there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Indeed, a lot of flowery language and promises that ‘things will change’.

What of course people forget that this schidt has been going on for yonks, way back when the ‘ Bert’ was dishing out largesse to all and sundry.

No definite measurable actions taken and John Q Taxpayer expected to pony up €51 mill to allow them to continue screwing them.

Memo to KB…. Tackle the talent, the high rollers, the contractors, the agents as soon as possible…quam celerrime..

Thats where the rubber meets the road, and I predict your issues with decrease expendedtially.

Just sayin…..

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bakhurst left RTE in 2016 before rejoining to replace Forbes this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

How much holidays do top RTE correspondents get?

I don't think Emma O'Kelly filed one report for 2 months over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

from the sounds of that nothing has changed....jeez,80grand per year? for a photographer???ffs where do i sign up?its a hobby of mine...though i thought they had banned new staff?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

With no announcement of Tubridys replacement for his 9am morning slot, there's been some speculation of the possibility of his return in six months or so. Now that we've learned of his and Noel Kelly's legal proceedings against RTE, is it safe to say that there is NO chance of his return?

Just looking for reassurance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Collette Fitzpatrick from Virgin news was absolutely delighted today when reporting on the current financial woes of RTE. It was very obvious and totally unprofessional of her. She had a massive grin on her face as she was relaying the loss of revenue and on the Committee events , then when it cut back to her and the political correspondent she was practically laughing her head off as she gleefully asked "How bad can it GET?!".

Shes normally a solid reporter but her bias poured out of her today. Fair enough, Virgin are more than happy to see their bigger, more financially robust brother slowly dissolve, particularly given the recent bitter statement that they could never afford Ryan Tubridy i.e jog on, you overpaid talentless ponce, but whether its just pure schaundenfrade or simple pettiness, she let herself down. If she was happy to stay at a station that pays her peanuts for 2 decades and wasnt ambitious enough to move on, thats on her not RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

I don't see what grounds Tubs has for taking legal action against RTÉ. His decision to cease presenting the Late Late Show earlier this year is a breach of the contract, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Genuinely no clue what to say on this one....bar....how do I apply?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

For as long as RT does not pay back the €150,000 it will be brought up every time he is in the public domain. He has ABSOLUTLY no right to hold onto it for even one more second. He said that he would pay it back at the PAC meeting. He stated no conditions attached to paying it back apart from the fact that he more than likely not be doing the promotion work for Renault. He got paid in advance for work a few years ago that he has still not carried out. ONE phoncall to Renault by RT would clarify that his services are no longer required at Renault.

I was very surprised that the return of it to RTE was on the condition that he had a contract with It. Bakhurst should have forced him to live up to his promise made in a very public way and Bakhurst should not have had it as part of the agreement - which eventually fell through.

was being made

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I'd say she can, I be more worried about Bakhurst I think he just plans to go on as normal.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Serious cutbacks at RTE needed.

2 presenters on Prime Time has always been ridiculous. One is only needed.

5 presenters on Morning Ireland and numerous stand ins. They're having a laugh at us on that one.

Sports and business presenters. All pointless nowadays especially when the station is broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Doc07

Unfortunately this is the most accurate summary I’ve seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Are there unions in RTE? They have been very quiet. I am surprised that the ordinary worker in there haven't walked out with all that has gone on. They must be fuming

And leave and work in a real job?

The turnover rate is very low in RTE for a reason. Cushy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Was tied up today and didn’t get to see the hearing.

Tubs is taking legal action against RTE whilst holding onto the €150,000? The man is once again demonstrating that he hasn’t a clue about PR if he’s pursuing both simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's not clear that the return of the €150K was conditional on anything. My read is that Tubridy was shaping up to return his ill gotten gain, on his unspoken understanding that he'd get his gig back. That when things went south with Bakhurst, that he's just conveniently forgotten. And that RTE are unwilling to ask him straight up for it, they must think the language is vague in whatever original contact re Renault top ups.

So as long as Tubs goes off on his merry journey, that money is gone with him. And long may he wander like the swans of Coole - bye, bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So any cheeky insta updates from Tubs today??

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The worst thing workers could do in RTE from their own perspective is go on strike and I think the unions probably know it. RTE isn't providing a service the way, say, refuse collectors provide a service. If the bin people go on strike, the rubbish piles up and up. But if RTE were to shut down for any length of time, life would go on perfectly smoothly. They would be forgotten about within a few months and they know it. People would adapt and move on.

That is why they need to keep going. Any gap is damaging to them as they lose relevancy fast.

Bit like Tubs.

(and I wish Tubs the best but he needs to get something fast).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Seeing as money is tight, perhaps it is time to shelve Fair City

It was costing nearly 11 million per year back in 2016.

Must be a lot more in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Id like to see an outside moneyball type report on cost benefit for that money in terms of typical cost of producing that amount of primetime content - bearing in mind it has limited rerun scope and foreign sales.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That's all well and good but he made a big song and dance at the Oireachtas hearings about not wanting it if he didn't work for it/earn it. I mean he as the most trusted man in Ireland wouldn't want to be seen to not be a man of his word now would he?

Oh wait, that ship has already sailed.

• Advertisement

Something something....BBC.....ITV....NBC.....The BIG Podcast.....Sweets....Books....Watch This Space......Amn't I Amazing? Etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement