Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Anyone have experience where the estate agent doesn't seem to want to show them a house? I'm trying very hard to see one particular property, the morning it came online, I emailed, later rang, left messages, he never got back to me. On the 4th day, I was told by a girl in the office that the house was being shown that evening ( in 2 hours time, I couldn't make it)

asked when the next viewing is, and again he will get back to me, I'm not holding my breath, feels like he doesn't want to show it to me. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's a good idea with the arranging other viewings. Make the estate agent think we are prepared to go else where too.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Hi All, We finally went Sale Agreed on a house that we had been out-bidden on a few months ago, a cracking house in a fabulous location!

The highest bidders had left the SA status on the house for 3 months, and the vendor got itchy feet, and today, it was offered to us as the underbidder.

Needless to say, we are overjoyed. To anyone getting disillusioned, hang in there, you will get the right property with patience and perseverance. It really is dog eat dog out there. We now only need to close the sale of our own home, which should happen very quickly. Will keep ye updated as to how long that takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Ah delighted for you! The whole process is draining.

Living the life

This happened to me. Not exactly the same situation as yours. We managed to view the house three times (open viewing) . We totally expressed interest. We emailed, no response back. We called the agency and were told the main guy has all information and will call back, no call back. We specifically asked to see the garage inside as it was locked on all the viewings. My husband finally managed to talk to the main agent who told him the probate will go through in 6 more months, hinting there is no rush and he will get back to him about our questions.

Now less than 6 months later, sale agreed despite our insistence that we are interested yet we never managed to put an offer in. Mind f ##ing game.

This was Gallagher quickley.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You would have to think that they just have someone in mind for it, like a friend or maybe someone that slips them a few bob to keep interested parties away.

only for this house is empty, it was rented, I would knock on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Sometimes you dont know whats going on behind the scenes. Sometimes there are major COIs

I have a friend who sister in law worked in the local estate agents. I wont tell you how many bids made it to the vendors of houses that himself and his wife were bidding on in that estate agents. Eventually they bought one and she even gave them half the commission she got.

I also know of another house near mine where the estate agent who was dealing with the sale actually bought it himself.

Absolutely I have been saying it all along that estate agents are not regulated by anyone, full stop. They are a law on themselves. Somebody might have dropped a big present worth thousands of euros on this estate agent front lawn to keep the other bidders away

Living the life

You would think that they are rules in place where if you are the selling agent, you cannot buy the property. It is cowboy land when it comes to estate agents.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Like everything there are probably all sorts of rules. but rules that arent policed might as well not be there in the first place.

A certain famous criminal used to say "Its only illegal if you get caught".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 hopwestlimk

Prob diff scenarios MrsBean, but im dealing with the council also.. I, as the buyer, am waiting 9mths so far for council and their solicitor to organise/sign off title transfer of property to seller.. boundary rectification also needs to be dealt with. Took from Dec to June for Council to contact their own solicitor instructing them to proceed, now waiting on them to do their part.. prob another 6 month wait I'm guessing.. nothing my solicitor can do, and vendor solicitor does seem to be pushing it, but council do things on their time and no one else's. Patience is key 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

The council thing was sorted quicker than expected!

Dare I say it, I think we are on the home stretch??

We signed contracts this week and waiting on them to be counter signed now. Hoping to get it closed before rates increase at the end of the month. Does anyone have any indication of how swift or slow Avant are at closing stage? Keeping everything crossed and hoping for no last minute hurdles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Signed both sale and purchase.

now just hoping tenants move out as planned in purchase. Happy to wait a year in rental if needed though. It’s professional house sharers, not social tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I opened my BOI mortgage saver account in May 2019 and drew down in December 2022. I just assumed I was out of luck, never even considered the bonus. I completely closed my account on withdrawal of my savings to transfer to my solicitor to close the purchase. A couple of weeks after getting keys I received a letter from BOI saying the account had been reopened to pay me the bonus.

So they don't seem to stick to the 30 months at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

I have had this happen twice as well. The agent didn't respond to my emails for quite a while. In both cases it transpired that the houses being sold were subject to an uncooperative tenant who was refusing to leave. The vendor was looking solely for a cash buyer as a bank wouldn't lend a mortgage for a non-vacant property.

In saying that, I also had a strange encounter with the estate agent that we are currently buying from. As the highest bidder on the house we asked for a second viewing but didn't hear back from the agency. As it was an open viewing, we went along anyway. The agent, who we had met and had been bidding with for 2 weeks, looked peeved to see us and blanked us. There must have been 5 couples at the viewing, and he knew 3 of them personally. He was openly telling one couple that the property was theirs' if they wanted it and to just hold tight until the vendor accepted their offer, which was lower. He would sort it out, apparently. We were quite pissed off, naturally, and found this rather unprofessional. Regardless, we kept our bid in as we love the house. The other bidder did improve their offer and we quickly countered. He sat on it for 2 another weeks, without any further bids, until the vendor accepted our offer. Even during that phone call he seemed annoyed that we had our offer accepted. He was obviously trying to secure the place for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sunnyt1234

I was outside this time frame and I didn't even question it. We actually used a broker so didn't deal with BOI direct at all. A couple of weeks after drawdown I got a letter saying that my account would be credited. It is subject to DIRT (I think) so got a little over 1300. Really nice bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

ahhhhhh I thought we were gonna get over the line but looks like we're facing another roadblock. We got evicted 6 months ago and again a month ago, and with all the moving, storage costs, extra petrol, and the fact we were well over what we needed for the deposit, we stopped the regular savings. Explained this to the broker we've had the last few years and they said as long as we don't touch the savings, we should be fine.

Well, turns out we're not. After fighting for months to get the bank to acknowledge the legitimacy of the house, our approval in principle expired and wasn't renewed. Jesus H Christ I hate buying a house

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Anyone know if selling house what number of people looking to view the place is a decent level?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

We had 8 couples view ours over 3 weeks. Our EA turned away people without AIP. Probably would’ve had double that if we let them in

Thanks for that. That makes sense on AIP. Something I was just curious about and know it does not matter really as only matters how many bid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Slow...

Put an offer in a house around 3 weeks ago, still no reply from estate agents. An update would be nice, even if it was it a rejection or counter offer. Give us some visibility like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bea468

I would follow up with the estate agent, 3 weeks is a long time and if they've no other offers I would give them a deadline as to how long your offer is valid for. Don't just let them wait around indefinitely for another bidder

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Got a valuation on a property on and the bank receieved it Friday. Assuming there are no issues with the valuation, which there probably won't be as it's a new build, how long does recieving the formal loan offer take these days? Got AIP in June and no changes in circumstances bar a small pay rise for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

update on my situation.

looks ever more likely that everything will fall through! Purchasers of our house have put a deadline of tomorrow week to sign contracts. The vendors were buying off of haven’t found a new house yet, but was told they’re the only bidder on a house they love, but we’ve no contracts to sign until that happens. My in laws are extremely hesitant on us signing off on our sale due to the uncertainty of our purchase.

basically they don’t want us to move in, until our purchase is more set in stone! I’m fit to cry! We’ve had zero luck! This house we are meant to be buying was perfect! Wish my in laws would have more faith in it! We’re devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Ah that's rotten, so many moving parts to the whole thing! Maybe a bit of a chat and buttering up of the in laws will help convince them to believe in the overall plan! I would be setting it all out to the vendors so they know the story, might help put a fire under them to try and close their purchase if at all possible... best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Best of luck everyone on an antiquated house buying process, I'm out the other side, you need some serious patience and a bit of luck when buying a house in Ireland.

If I could give anyone some advice, find a great solicitor, someone who's prompt and efficient, this was the highlight of the whole process. Also have to give EBS their dues on how good they are to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Well after a sucky week, just got a call from our broker, they managed to twist the arm of the bank and convince them we're worth AIP, loan offer going out next week, I feel like I can see light at the end of the tunnel!

Only slightly disappointed I can't give the business to EBS who have been brilliant to deal with when I started looking at a plan B but even though PTSB cost us nearly 6 months waiting to move into this house, they are likely the first to get us over the line. Hoping I can close everything off in about 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 houseseeker2023

Hi all,

I hope to buy a house sometime next year, most likely with the Bank of Ireland. I'll be a single applicant.

I opened a MortgageSaver account with BoI last month, and I'm paying €2,500 into that.

I want to save €3,000 per month, but the max you can save in the MortgageSaver is €2,500.

So, I'm opening a BoI GoalSaver account on top of that, and putting €500 into that that every month.

Besides that, I had a terrible practice over the years of just allowing money to accumulate in my current account, so my current account balance accumulated to €170k over the years. I want to put €150k from my current account into another savings or investment account for 12 months. I initally wanted to put it into either the MortgageSaver or GoalSaver account. However, the MortgageSaver has a limit of €20,000 on lump sum lodgements per year, and you can't lodge lump sum amounts into the GoalSaver account.

So, I'll have three savings accounts and I want the funds from each of those will go towards a mortgage deposit.

I'm just wondering if this will cause any confusion with the bank when I go to apply for a mortgage?

When you're applying online for a mortgage via BoI (or other banks), do they give you the option to upload the statements for multiple savings accounts?

I'm sorry if these come across as stupid questions.

• Advertisement

Yes you can upload any bank accounts statements you have. Don't worry if you have three. All good as far as they are concerned.

Living the life

Advertisement