Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbors dumping green waste around base of mature trees

Options
  • 11-09-2023 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Living in a large housing estate. Alot of neighbors dump their garden green waste (grass, bush cuttings) around the base of mature trees in the communal green area. Apart from the fact that it's illegal, is it damaging the tree? The residents association themselves are dumping the grass they cut so it'll be a losing battle to raise with them. At least, if get them to stay away from the trees and dump elsewhere, it'll be something .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It will probably look unsightly and if piled against the trunk could cause rot, but generally its not a big problem unless the green stuff has been treated with weedkiller or similar chemicals.

Probably the main issue is that, people put grass clippings round the trees, then others put hedge trimmings, so others add heaps of scruffy weeds and the next thing you have lumps of old carpet that have been removed from the garden, moving on to any other rubbish that they want to get rid of. Because you can't underestimate the level of stupid out there, and the general sheepness of some people doing what others have done and moving it up a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Local or communal composting happens in some estates, often setup by the residents as a way to alleviate the load on the brown bin (compost), especially with grass and other bulky cuttings. I think that the concept should be supported and extended nationwide as not all houses with grass areas also have room for a compost heap.

Maybe if you have a problem with the method of composting then you could offer to help formalise the composting so that a constructed composting area is setup using pallets for holding areas and signage etc. It's documented here in the An Taisce booklet:

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2022-06/an-taisce-compost-booklet.pdf

Additional info here too:

https://compostingireland.ie/resources/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

As Looksee says it can certainly cause rot and should not be done as it can kill a tree over time. The living part of a trunk is just under the bark and if the trunk is continuously covered the bark can die off. The base of trees should never be covered above the collar (the junction between the roots and the trunk).

You are right to complain about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ok, that's good to see! There is similar here in a local estate, they have a garden team which manages a compost heap and flower patch and it works well.

The only observation which I'll add is that leaves are considered to be brown material while grass clippings are green. If excess green material is added into a compost heap, it will just turn into a ball of mush. It would really need to be mixed with brown material to keep it loose and stop it from becoming water-logged. But these are the small challenges which can be tackled later, the main response to the OP's question is to encourage the local users of the area without friction to improve the situation so that the composting is managed and not performed in a manner which is unsightly and potentially harmful to the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW my father in law has been dumping his lawn clippings around the base of some sycamores at the end of his garden, for the last 18 years+, and they're still hale and hearty. the pile is over three foot deep and ten foot long.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dratted sycamores will still be surviving after the apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

I said to a man I know who is on the residents committee and he wasn't agreeable to shared composting areas. He said people would just dump food waste and mattresses if we had these zones. I was pretty disappointed. I suggested putting up signs around the estate saying dumping of green waste is illegal but again no enthusiasm there. I sure I've seen other members of the residents association dump grass cuttings in the non grass area of the green( we have alot of trees and brambles on the outskirts of the massive green) but typical, people dump the green waste there. Rather than giving the natural habitat a chance. I might contact the city council and ask if they have signs about dumping and put them up myself .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Contact the litter warden. I've seen them take action of green waste around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Are you in Dublin?

If so, It is the policy of DCC to leave grass clippings to rot on green areas and verges once cut, including around base of trees and their own contractors are well known for this!

In their spiel about their biodiversity plan they say it encourages nitrogen uptake of grassy areas and is good for biodiversity.

I suggest you bring it up with your local councillor or DCC directly if you have an issue with that.

We have had difficulty getting grass verges cut and I think if the good neighbours that do cut them were taken to task about clippings, there would be no verges cut!

I don't believe leaves or shrub clippings are included as these need to be cut up small and placed in an area dedicated to break down for leaf mould.

As regards your neighbour, its not illegal and is it really bothering you that much, or is the tree suffering?

If it is, bring it up to your local residents committee. Many estates now have areas where leaves are collected for composting but as said before DCC are encouraging leaving grass clippings lying around.

As said above, this has been going on for years with no harm done, to trees anyway.

• Advertisement

It is the policy of DCC to leave grass clippings to rot on green areas and verges once cut, including around base of trees and their own contractors are well known for this!

just in case there's confusion about this - there is a significant difference between spreading grass cuttings around the base of trees (a mulch), which will not harm a tree, and piling grass cuttings up against the bottom of the tree. it's not 100% clear what the situation is for the OP.

So you have seen grass clippings ' harming a tree'?

I have never seen that.

Maybe in winter when it is wet and leaves are gone. The neigjbour probably wouldn't be cutting his grass then anyhow.

Any trees around us I see are dry at the base because of the leaf canopy and no harm caused by leaves, grass or anything else.

Wonder are these young trees that op is worried about, or is it the aesthetics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

As MB says we're not talking about leaving the clippings of the grass which is cut around the base of the tree which will do no harm, it's if the residents are emptying their grass boxes around them and building up a pile which can affect the trees.

And it certainly is a littering offence to dump your green waste anywhere that isn't designated.

Ok. Misread that. Fair enough

Thought it was grass clippings from the verge not from their own garden.

Although still don't think as I have posted in reply to MB that it will cause a problem while there is a leaf canopy keeping it dry.

Not very nice though if it is a big pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

It's being piled up against the tree. Its apparently damaging to the mature trees . These trees are very mature. The dumping of green waste including grass on brambles etc is also damaging to biodiversity. Yes looks ugly also but potential damage to nature is my main concern. I know it's just ignorance on neighbors/residents association part . I'll try approaching someone else in the residents association and suggest again re signs

I personally don't see all organic matter as litter in the same way as others do here. Composting in this way has been going on for millennia. I do agree that organic matter being "piled against the tree" is problematic, but placing organic matter onto a border where brambles and probably nettles would otherwise inhabit it and calling it damaging to biodiversity, is a little far fetched. The fact is that once brambles have trespassed onto an green area it's very difficult to maintain that area as over time as they thicken and become more dense as their yearly march progresses.

I don't agree that compost and organic matter can't be part of the local biodiversity - after all it will create an environment which is rich in worms, slugs, snails, woodlouse, and beatles, and these are a source of food for hundreds of local mammals. Composting, unless mixed with protein and cooked food or sweet fruits, doesn't create a stink so isn't an anti-social activity and it isn't overly attractive to vermin - probably no more than you'd have in a standard briary hedge anyway.

There's another facet to localised composting which we need to consider - that being what happens to compost when it's collected at the kerbside. Firstly you're creating significant volumes of heavy waste which must be paid-for by the kilo and then transported to some type of facility. There is considerable energy expended within those steps as the waste is wet and additional processing of that waste by screening, grading, creating windrows and then collecting and packaging and transporting the end-product back to a point-of-sale... never-mind the fact that we don't actually know what really happens any waste in this country - for all we know it's all dumped in landfill. Additionally there is a significant issue with plastic contamination within compost, I know myself that I have bought bagged compost only to find small plastic wrappers, black bin-bag fragments and lego arms within the product, so there's that massive aspect of plastic contamination which is happening where the brown bin is being totally misused. I don't particularly want plastic microfragments in my soil, do you? It's already going to be one of our abiding legacies on this earth, archeologists and environmentalists of the future will be using our plastic waste as a demonstration of how retrograde our understanding of the ecosystem was at this time of great technical progress.

So my guidance from all of this is that the OP should pick their battles carefully. In any community there are multiple opportunities to offend or get onto the wrong side of any number of neighbours, and pitting oneself against the composters by mentioning biodiversity and being concerned about the welfare of the brambles without considering what I believe to be the bigger picture, is wrong. Find a compromise which meets your neighbours needs and desires and work with them to improve the aspects which you find offensive or damaging.

And if anyone asks if I compost at home - the answer is yes, everything except the plate-scrapings are composted in two locations in a suburban garden. Food waste is placed into the brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

Can you see any damage to the trees? The internet has always said that it's bad to pile mulch against trees but just out of curiosity I'd like to see some first-hand evidence.

Advertisement