Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

Also if you want to run an emergency power supply from them if you get a battery it costs more for the extras needed whereas with the likes of Solis and other hybrid inverters there is a EPS already on the inverter to power a double socket or connect a low usage circuit to power stuff in power cuts.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thank you. This is really helpful. The company also supply livoltek inverters but only spec’d that in the battery quote ( with a livoltek battery) for some reason.

the other thing that puts me off battery right now is we use an average of 35kwh a day and a 5 kWh battery seems completely pointless to me against that usage. I’d say we’d need 15-20 kWh realistically.

Looking at the wholesalers Livoltek is expensive kit as well, the prices are ex vat retail. I didn't check the spec sheet to see how compatible they are with other brands. https://midsummer.ie/buy/livoltek You would possibly get the same sized system with a battery for the difference in those brands against alternative brands. Get more quotes and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I've been told by an installer that adding a battery later does not mean VAT is added to the price. i.e. there is currently no VAT on batteries, whether you buy it at install time or later.

Can anyone definitively confirm if this is the case or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I understand their all very busy at the moment, but do companies actually not bother looking at quote requests through their websites or is it just me :) ? I'd say i got 2 responses out of 10 quote requests and that's after making requests nearly a month ago at this stage. I know you can ring but kinda put me off the ones I did contact and got no response from.

A lot of companies have minimal office staff if any and a lot are family businesses so they are swamped and booked out for months. It is just something you need to persevere with. I spent over 6 months getting quotes, being ignored and constantly let down by no show site surveyors but eventually got a good installer at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

It's amazing how a document that should clarify things leaves me even more confused. Well, if a company is happy to supply and fit a battery VAT free at a later date I'll be happy to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve had trouble too. People saying they’d call out and I never heard from them again

My thoughts exactly! Open to correction though but I took it as if the battery or other extras are not in the initial install then the vat is charged when being fitted separately but open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Just about to pull the trigger. I have got a few quotes from companies recommended here and on the Facebook page . I ran the numbers through the calculator and there not far off

I am trying to decide about the battery option. one company charging 2k (5.1k) dryness battery and the other 2.5 k (4.8k) dryness battery. I know a spark who now works for a solar company. He done all my home wiring and odd jobs in the past . Is there much to wiring a battery into a system. Would I be better buying batteries down the line and getting wired independently or does that price sound ok for batteries and obviously the benefit of warranty and dealing with one provider if anything goes wrong .

Thanks c

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

General question here; are installers expecting customers to pay up front for the full amount; and then claim back the grant from the SEAI?

What are the terms of payment for quotes that are going out these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Theory: you pay the cost of the install, less the grant. Installer gets the grant from SEAI.

Practice: you pay the full cost of the install, as quote is inflated by an amount equal to the grant. Installer gets the grant from the SEAI as a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ints

I used online forms for about 15 installers, about 5 came back within a week or so, another 5 within 2-3 weeks. But the one I have chosen I did contact over the phone, got best quote and about 2 months lead time.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ints

About grants I can say this much, if I am not mistaken installer can't submit for the grant, only customer can, installers may help. I have to pay in full and wait for the grant myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭society4

Roughly how much would 8 pv panels cost (no hot water or battery required). Thanks

Some clearance stock at this wholesalers all ex vat prices and if you can get an account opened will get trade discounts if you know a sparky to open one. https://midsummer.ie/buy/clearance

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

You have to pay VAT when buying the materials.

Installer will buy a complete 8 panel system materials for under €2000 with a modest 10% discount. He knows you're getting €2100 grant on this, so will charge at least twice this to install, maybe three times. Its a sellers market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

In fairness there is the cost of wages for at least 2 lads and a sparky. Also there would be ancillary costs like office support, pensions, van and that big one insurance. And if I was an installer I would expect to make a profit.

It is the ones actively pulling the piss on the profit side are the ones you need to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

Just got a quote for 4.3kw system (10x430 Jinko panels) w/ 5kw inverter, single phase energy meter and BER included. I’m Dublin based. Total is €5,900 after grant. The calculator is telling me to look elsewhere and I should be looking at €1,000 per kw. Are people generally getting that or what do you think of my quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

The analyser is based on economies of scale. The bigger the system the closer it will get to €1000 per kw, the smaller the system the more expensive it is. When you take all the overheads into account, ie 2 men on roof, scaffolding, travel, insurance etc the cost will be the same for 4.3 or 10.3 system so per kw 4.3 will be more expensive than 10.3. Maximise your system now (more panels and maybe battery) to get the benefit

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭iwasliedto

If this is in the wrong thread I am sorry and you can move it.

I have asked for quotes from a number of companies, for as large a system as I can get on my roof. It is a large (approx 90 meters) flat roof with no overshadowing. I want to maximize my system size as I have only electric in my house and no other energy source.

As I understand that the size limit for inverters is 6kva 25 amp or have I read the ESB network information wrong?

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/conditions-governing-the-connection-and-operation-of-micro-generation-policy.pdf?sfvrsn=fdcb2515_17

This is from the above document.

"This document applies to Micro-Generation installations in single customer premises with an inverter capacity, or non-inverter connected generation, not exceeding 25 A single phase (c. 6 kVA) or 16 A per phase three phase (c. 11kVA) in demand installations connected to the DSO LV network."

All the companies have come back with 5 kva inverters with oversized panel arrays of just under 8Kw. Why have they not offered me a 6 KVA inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

New ESB rules came in to effect last May, limiting the size to 5kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

The new rules specify 25amp or less, which, at the moment is less than 6kw, and no manufactures at the moment comply with a 6kw inverter offering. The Irish government/ESBN moved the goalposts and manufacture's are slow to adapt to such a small market. PS there are some 5.5 or 5.7kw inverters out there that do qualify, but if you buy them yourself you lose the grant and have to pay VAT. Brown envelopes and look after the boys, Bertie on the way back

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

I suppose the question you're asking is why you can only push 5kva onto the grid. If you take 25A as the current, current limit, then the inverter might well be pushing 5.75 Kva onto the local grid if it is generating this maximum current to the grid at full mains voltage of 230V. If you have the panel capacity to exceed this, the only routes for excess are hybrid with battery storage, or wired off grid backup circuits, where some self consumption is not directly being pushed onto the grid.

The reality is of course the utilities don't want your variable unreliable solar excess, at least the don't want to pay much for it, especially if a whole neighbourhood of unoccupied homes are pushing out 5kw in the afternoon and there's very little local consumption. They can buy reliable steady state input for 10c / per kwh, so there's little incentive to let too much feed in to the grid for anything above this rate. Its probably partly the reason they wish to maintain such huge margins between wholesale and retail energy, with a markup of over 300% on daytime consumption.

A lot of the inverters being sold as 5kw have differing amounts of actual capacity due to the fact that they can simultaneously supply batteries, and in some models, supply back up or virual off grid circuits (Sungrow models). Look at the Solis range of 5kw models, they specify their 5kw model, S5-EH1P5kL as 25A current to the grid or 5KVA. I'm not certain if this current is limited by the inverter measuring grid voltage such that only 5kva is delivered, i.e, if your local grid voltage was around 230V, it would only push 21.7 A to the grid to limit the power delivered to 5KVA, but if you have any kind of local consumption dropping the mains voltage, it can safely increase this current marginallly to 25A, if the local voltage was as low as 200.

I don't know how truly smart the smart meters are when it comes to measuring FIT, whither they will cap the measured FIT reported to 5kva even if your inverter is pushing more back onto the grid. We're not at the stage here where ESBN can talk to inverters (unlike Australia), and remotely drop their on grid contribution to avoid grid overvoltage when there is insufficient demand for solar peaks The inverter in itself will do that, it will only push so much current to its grid connection without increasing the voltage past the limit. I'm surmising that there are times the grid doesn't soak your excess up to the 5kw limit, and perhaps times it takes more up to the 25A limit at 230V as non resistive loads such as motors will not actually consume 5kw when drawing 5kva, volts multiplied by amps, due to 'power factor', but thats another discussion entirely. You don't pay for and won't get paid for that portion of kva consumption from or delivery to the grid that is not 'in phase', which could be 20% of your feed in.

I wouldn't sweat about any of this. There will be minimal times when you have panel capacity over 5kw not being collected. Batteries at current prices make only marginal economic sense when their contribution is calculated over life span and when factoring in inefficiency losses and also maintenance/failure risks as a real cost. Going off grid with some of your own load is really the only other way to use peak capacity above 5kw, and have an inverter (or two) to utilise panel max. This might not save you very much though given the added cost.

Ultimately, oversizing is the most beneficial addition you can have, provided you're not being fleeced for the additional panels. It allows you to have a reasonable output either side of peak daylight and midsummer, where otherwise you might struggle to run the house lights, let alone boil the kettle. Max output of panels is only for a few hours of a few days of the year, the bulk of the time it is a trickle.

I talked with one supplier and he said that they may have 5.7 KVA inverters coming on the market at some stage.

Thanks for that, I don't know if I fully understand it all but I think I get the most of it. I suppose I was asking really if there was a 6KVA 25amp inverter available would that be the optimum inverter for the best return with an oversized panel array or would it make much of a difference to getting a 5KVA one? Thanks again and sorry if I am slightly going off thread topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Your getting a 5kW Inverter, not a 5kVA one.

The difference is slight, a 6kW inverter usually can go to 27.5 amps.

It's easier to talk in amps Vs the kW and kVA

When esbn calculate the kVA for generators it's at the highest end of the grid spec (250ish volts).

But for consumption, (eg your MIC (maximum import capacity)) it's at the low end (200 odd volts).

The maximum inverter size is now 25 amps but most inverters are either 5 or 6, there is 1 5.5 I know about.

But the short and curlies of it is 5kW is generally the max inverter size being installed now, on a NC6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement