Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mould remover for kitchen area + bedroom?

Options
  • 13-09-2023 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a mould remover thats suitable for use in both kitchen and bedroom.

Ive seen recommendations for HG mould spray and Cillit bang spray in other threads but mostly for use in the bathroom.

They containg high strength chemicals so I'm not sure if they are safe to use in kitchen presses that would contain delph etc or in bedrooms due to inhaling chemicals overnight while sleeping.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭delboythedub

Hi first you need to see if you have excess moisture in your house, I purchased A hygrometer / thermometer €20 in Screwfix etc and moisture reading was very high 75% plus. I purchased a dehumidifier (12ltrs water tray) with built in A/C from a company i cork who also have spare parts filters etc for these. having set humidifier @ 55% I was amazed at the amount of water being taken out of my apartment by this €250 humidifier and how warm and dry my apartment became as you cannot heat up a Damp room/ house. This company have a help line and you could phone them for advice. NOTE if you do decide to get a dehumidifier initially let it run non stop and keep emptying the water tray when required. You may also notice that you dont need to turn on your heating as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Thanks , I'll need to clear some mold first and once I do I'll get a humidifier.

What's the name of the company in Cork that sells them? I have heard that it's hard to get parts for some brands.

I presume only one is needed and you just move it from room to room as needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭delboythedub

HI the name of that company that sells the Meaco Dehumidifier is CH Marine (0214315700)in cork and deliver all over Ireland and phone them for advice, you will need to know the Square meter of your house. you are right to remove the mould first and then cure the problem with the dehumidifier. My problem was that I live in a new ground floor apartment and I dont leave any windows open when I am not there for security and also I dry clothes inside and that does not help with moisture. My Meaco 12 Ltr €249.00 has a program for drying clothes indoors if needed, has AC and will switch on and off when moisture is not at 55%. I now find that I dont need to fire up the central heating as much as the apartment feels warmer and no more condensation on the inside of windows in the mornings. best of luck

Thanks very much, your posts have been very helpful to me. I'll call them and see what they recommend.

It's hard to avoid drying clothes inside. I have a combo tumble dryer/washing machine but the dryer shrinks some types of clothes so I mostly avoid using it.

Its great that the humidifier has a clothes drying setting which should help a lot.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Watch the electrical bills with those dehumidifiers. That could be part of the reason of the reduced need for heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Personally I found the HR stuff very good. It doesn't get rid of it forever but it's as easy as spraying and maybe a wipe later on. Keeps it clear for a good while too.

Never used it in a cupboard but used it underneath the sink after a leak and use it for the ceilings where mould has crept in every few months.

Like someone else said, I also tested the moisture and found a leak in the bathroom. Now I have dehumidifiers for winter as well when windows tend to start closed longer

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭cobham

Use a bleach based scourer cream like Cif for inside cupboards. Empty out and leave doors open to fully dry. Open as many windows as possible to air out spray fumes in other places. Wear goggles/mask when using same. We have two dehumidifiers going in winter and one in summer and always windows open. Extractor in kitchen, lids on pots, not overboiled, squeegy wipe down of showers after use and other such measures should keep on top of situation.

Good point but the Tumble dryer costs also.

What are the steps to take when drying clothes inside? The only thing I can think of to reduce moisture when drying inside is to dry them beside an open window, which isn't always possible for people either.

btw I dont understand how airing clothes in a hot press doesn't cause humidity/mould but drying clothes inside on a clothes horse does. Can anyone explain why one method is ok and the other isn't .

I presume it's because the water content of clothes on the horse is likely greater than it would be than if they were suitable to be put in the hot press in the first place.

Advertisement