Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Can he be sent home if it is a pre existing injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

I really think Kilcoyne has to start this weekend and needs a good 60 minutes.

Being honest he'll be the weak link in our 23 against the Boks. He can't be going in without a decent length game this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

For Tonga I'd go pretty strong, certainly Sexton needs to play, preferably with Gibson Park, I'd maybe swap the centres round and bring in McCloskey and Henshaw and I'd give JOB a run at 15 with Hansen and Lowe out wide.

Kelleher to start at hooker and hopefully 20 mins for Sheehan. Like the centres I'd swap the locks and start Henderson and Ryan. VDF and Doris at 7 and 8, possibly Baird at 6.

Not sure about the props, particularly LH, unfortunately there seems a bit of a drop off after Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Bealham needs gametime so I'd imagine he'll start too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

IRELAND (possible v Tonga): H Keenan; M Hansen, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, J Lowe; J Sexton, C Murray; A Porter, R Kelleher, T Furlong; I Henderson, J Ryan; T Beirne, J van der Flier, C Doris.

Thornley reckons we are going full strength more less.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭farmerval

I think it'd be more important to get game time into the flexible players, Henshaw at 13, Baird at 6 etc. The ones that may end up out of position, this weekend is a chance to get minutes into them in those positions, Beirne and O Mahony at 6 and 7 last week.

Give them a blow out and adjust to where they may be needed later on. Obviously our walking wounded need the run out. Be gas if we were against the Boks with Ryan and Henderson in the 2nd row and Baird and O Mahony in the back row, that'd be a competitive line out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Conan's fit he still makes the bench for South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

Interesting to compare the likely team v SA to the team that bowed out 46 -14 against NZ in 2019

2019 first v 2023

Healy v Porter. Porter better

Best v Sheehan. Sheehan

Furlong v Furlong. 2019 version

Ryan v Ryan. 2023 version

Henderson v Beirne. Even

POM v POM. 2019 version

VDF v VDF. 2023 version

Stander v Doris. Doris maybe

Murray v Gibson Park. Gibson Park

Sexton v Sexton 2019 version

Henshaw v Aki. Draw

Ringrose v Ringrose. Draw

Stockdale V Hansen Hansen

Earls v Lowe. Lowe

Kearney v Keenan. Keenan

Subs. 2019. Kilcoyne, Herring, Porter, Beirne, Ruddock, McGrath, Carbery, Larmour

2023. Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Bealham, McCarthy, Conan, Murray, Crowley, JOB. Similar strength.

So maybe better in 8 positions, worse in 4, the rest even. A big difference is the style we play now compared to 2019

Post edited by blackcard on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

furlong is the only player that was in better form in 2019 than right now. POM wasnt even that bad and id still take him rn over back then. Beirne is 100% better than 2019 henderson too

• Advertisement

George Hook drew a bit of ire for his tweet about Joe Schmidt stifling the All Blacks attack etc. He talks, and used to talk, a fair bit of guff but Joe has become more conservative. I prefer Joe 2010-15.

Joe is still our most successful coach, 2 championships and 1 Grand Slam. I think if Andy goes beyond the QF that will be up for debate. I don't like the cult of the coach though. The background structures should be more important than any coach, as they're average length in charge is 5 years or so.

Well into 2019, around August, when we were in obvious bother, the 'In Joe We Trust' BS used do my head in. You couldn't criticise him in many quarters. People were hanging on to some notion that he'd turn the tide well into the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Madness if thats the team , Tonga will be fully up for this game , a huge step up from Romania who offered nothing , and will be especially physical - risking Sexton and ringrose is crazy, the one player I would have in is Aki , if we ship injuries the coach could regret selecting so many of our irreplaleables.

Rugby world cups are about the squad and Saturday is a day to use theat squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Seems unbelievable what Farrell is mapping out to the potential final. First 23 for 7 consecutive games??

You would never see the like of a NZ, France, South Africa doing that but I suppose there probably that level above.

Conceivable to think that after the Scotland game we could be throwing a debutant into the QF giving injuries after these 3 games. (Bryne, JOB, Baird, McCloskey,

Agree. A bit top heavy with first choice players. If we pull through with no injuries all will be well. You need luck in most endeavours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Conservely I think we played our first choice players a lot less than others in the warm ups and you can get injured in those just as easily

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It is a dangerous strategy. We have huge strength in depth. We should be using it. Any team we put out beats Tonga. And quite easily. We should be saving ourselves for South Africa, not all the players but most. I still think we beat South Africa and then we have a 2 week break but then it's matches every week till the final.

Now, the players will be used to playing 3 weeks in a row, have a break and then 4 weeks in a row, they'll be able to do it but the energy used to beat New Zealand, Australia and then be ready for France will be huge, especially the emotional energy. None of our players have played in a World Cup semi final or final. Like I said, I think it's a risk but we have a great management team and we should trust their judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

GT hasnt been getting the teams correct for awhile.

Amazed if they started Beirne after 80mins shift in blistering heat in the BR and asked him to go again next week and on......Baird should start.

What's the point of McCloskey been in the squad if he doesn't start this game?

And Sexton? An unnecessary gamble. He should be on the bench.

I thought Samoa was the dry run for Tonga?

Team I'd prefer:

JOB; Hansen, Henshaw, McCloskey, Lowe; Crowley, Murray; Porter, Kelleher, Bealham; Henderson, Ryan; Baird, vdF, Doris

Reps:

Sheehan, Kilcoyne, Furlong, McCarthy, POM, Casey, Sexton, Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Marx out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Marx is a massive loss and the gamble south africa took with not originally bringing 3 recognised hookers and 4 scrum halves doesn't doesn't look like it is paying off.

Also south africa aren't calling anyone up until after their match which is Sunday afternoon, in case they get any more injuries. The extra day recovery and preparation for ireland could be crucial before our game with them next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Long-term knee injury, oh dear, that's a pity for the tournament

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Tonga will be much more attritional than Romania, ther tackiling can be bordelrine, for those reason I would rest Sexton and Ringrose , and utilise squad members.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Replaced with Pollard once Pollard has shown he's fit, I shouldn't wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Tonga can be very physical but Sexton didnt play the warm ups so perhaps coaches and he believe he needs far more rugby to be ready for the bigger pool games and knock outs.

Its likely he'll likely play another 60-65 minutes again like last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Not being replaced according to the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/sep/14/injured-south-africa-hooker-malcolm-marx-ruled-out-of-rugby-world-cup

"South Africa will not call up a replacement for the 64-cap Marx and their head coach, Jacques Nienaber, said another utility forward, Marco van Staden, has also been training at hooker."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They've said that they'll make the decision in a few days.

They will definitely call a replacement , it's just a question of when and who they call.

Will they call for a hooker or will they use the opportunity to bring Pollard or Am in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Can they call up Pollard or Am as replacement for a front row?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

As long as they have three registered hookers, I think they can call up anyone they want, and presumably Marco van Staden is registered as a hooker as well as a back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Who benches for 8 if he can't? I'd think Baird would be the obvious choice, but has he any experience playing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Sorry to see Marx missing out. Terrific player. Better for us 'though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭joficeduns1

Team vs Tonga

Advertisement