Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

On Wilder with Sheffield United he played a 352 and actually played a good style of football with overlapping center backs which was very original at the time and he liked to play a fast forward style football played on the ground but wasn't afriad to go long when needed.

John Egan played some of his best football as a center back under Wilder when they were runners up in the Championship the year they got promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭Gusser09

He was getting the most of David McGoldrick too. He played direct ball into him and McGoldrick thrived.

He played to his players strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I think Wilder would be a genuine candidate that everyone can get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There was a good bunch of Irish players there at the time playing some good stuff..

Enda Stevens, Callum Robinson, McGoldrick & Egan.

Enda Stevens was one of the most in form WB's in the PL at the time. No reason why he couldn't help Manning like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

McGoldrick is a lovely footballer. Shame we got so little of him. Beautiful technique, clever.

I agree about pulling the plug on Kenny immediately if the decision is made to sack him. There's no point drawing it out.

The only thing is that our seeding is a worry and are we better off just sticking with him til November. But what happens if he wins every game? Then we'll have to stick with him til the playoff, if we have one.

I'd assume the FAI have had a list of candidates drawn up a year ago and maybe even tapped up a couple of them.

Damien Delaney seems certain Kenny isn't up to it based on analysis in Second Captains podcast.

Kenny said something about "Holland pushed Gakpo up on Doherty" when in actual fact Holland had changed formation to a 4-3-3. Apparently this is a glaring error but I'm no expert.

Chris Wilder definitely seems like a good candidate. Maybe he sees it as beneath him since he's managed PL recently.

We could try Roy Keane as an interim manager and see how he does. I wonder does he travel around to training grounds keeping up to date with modern methods.

Eddie Howe did this when he left Bournemouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpirl

Brazil 5-1 Bolivia

Argentina 3-0 Bolivia

Who the hell is in charge of Bolivia? He's clearly out of his depth. Must've got it very very very very very very very wrong tactically. These results are not acceptable. Bolivia should be at tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bolivia are usually on a bit of a high when they are at home.

Estadio Hernando Siles (Spanish pronunciation: [esˈtaðjo eɾˈnando ˈsiles]) is a multi-purpose stadium in La Paz, Bolivia. It is the country's largest stadium, with a capacity of 41,143 seats. It is named after Hernando Siles Reyes, the 31st President of Bolivia (1926–1930).

The stadium is located in the Miraflores borough of La Paz, at an altitude of 3,637 metres (11,932 feet) above sea level, making it one of the highest professional stadiums in the world.

🤣 This guy is a member of the Kenny cult the thread title refers to. Kenny's been an utter failure, he's going to get sacked, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpirl

Just listened to an interview with the Bolivian manager. I don't speak Spanish, but I know a bluffer when I see one. Excusios, excusios. And he looks like a taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

As weak arguments and whataboutery go, this is up there. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was not long ago Andrews was sneering at Ireland when Martin O'Neill was in charge either.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭shockframe

Bolivia have only made 1 of the last 18 World Cups.

They would be the South American equivalent of Albania.

I think we're lacking in midfield in particular.

Is there any up and coming midfielders to look out for?

Hodge, Kilkenny, Rocco Vata, Justin Ferizaj, Smallbone.

Anyone else?

Cullen is solid and Knight has potential. I'm not sure on Molumby but you can't fault his spirit.

I think we're lacking on the left also. Left back/wing back/left winger.

Vata may be fast tracked in at this stage. Also with a view to tying him down. But in a creative sense i think he'd improve us off the bench. The same with young Moran.

I forgot about Moran.

We seem to have lots of youngish midfielders but none of them exactly pulling up trees.

I'm still hopeful about Smallbone. Apparently last season lots of PL teams were interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If Keane treated the players the way he did when assistant Ireland manager, imagine how he would treat them if he was the manger. 😮

Keane loves an argument, look at all the videos where people ask him for a picture and he loves to have a go at them and cause an argument over nothing.

if he wants the Ireland job he should start at the bottom and work his way up. prove himself, yeah he did well at Sunderland but that was 16 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He was already an assistant manager when we qualified for a tournament. He is more qualified to be manager of Ireland than Stephen Kenny, and by a wide margin.

This are men though not women, maybe a bit of tough love might do them no harm. Raise standards?

This is from Dunphy's 'The Stand' Podcast.

If any people are adhering to the 'Cult of Kenny' it is Dunphy and Giles.

They both want Kenny to get a new contract, basically because he is Irish and he is a 'nice fella'.

I particularly like the bit where Dunphy was going on about 'Wes' and Trapattoni etc.

But Giles (to his credit) said Trapattoni qualified for a tournament, - "You can only qualify for one tournament at a time Eamon." 

😂

Even Giles and Dunphy said that Stephen Kenny has to at least beat the teams he should be beating.

Dunphy repeated time and again that the current Irish players are 'journeymen'. I can't remember him saying that about an Ireland squad before.

But I went through the side Kenny named v the Dutch and the a few who would have played if fit/selected -

But I went through the side Kenny named v the Dutch and the a few who would have played if fit/selected -

English Premier League - O'Shea, Coleman*, Egan, Doherty, Ogbene, Cullen, Ferguson*, Obafemi, Kelleher (9)

English Championship - Bazunu, Duffy, Browne, Knight, Idah, Smallbone, Armstrong, Manning, Hendrick, Molumby, W. Keane*, Coventry*, Robinson* (13)

English League Two - McClean

Serie A - Ebosele

SPL - McGrath

It does not THAT bad - a core of a higher English championship type side or Lower Premier League.

It made me think is this current Kenny ROI squad worse than NI who qualified for Euro 2016?

--

So I looked at the NI team that qualified for Euro 2016 for a bit of contrast.

A team which lost 1-0 to Germany. (which was real backs to the wall) not one for the 'purists'

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1035167/Live/International-European-Championship-2016-Northern-Ireland-Germany

Also beat Ukraine 2-0 and lost to Poland 1-0 - narrowly making the knock outs of a tournament proper

At that time:

English Premier League - McGovern, Cathcart, McAuley, Davis, J.Evans (5)

English Championship - McGovern, Lafferty, Dallas, Norwood, C.Evans, Ward, Baird (7)

League One - McLaughlin, McCullough, Grigg (3)

League Two - Carroll

SPL - McGinn, Magennis, Mannus (3)

A-League - Hughes

--

So it looks to me that the current ROI 2023 squad is at least a better squad on paper than NI was in 2016.

And although Will Grigg was "on fire" I don't think he even started much!

--

Looking at the Martin O'Neill ROI team from 2016 to see how much 'better' it was to both NI 2016 and ROi 2023, should be interesting just as an overview

English Premier League - Coleman, Clark, O'Shea, Whelan, McCarthy, Hoolahan, Long, Walters, Ward, Given, Brady, Randolph, (12)

English Championship - Westwood, Keogh, McGeady, Duffy, Hendrick, Meyler, Murphy, Christie, Quinn (9)

MLS - R. Keane

Overall midtable to lower type English PL,  to higher English Championship I would say?

--

So I would argue that it is more how the players are structured moulded and managed. Rather than the players themselves. A manager can make a big difference to a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭athlone99

He is going to get sacked. The FAI have postponed it for some ridiculous reason. This doesn't encourage any positivity for finding a good new manager. It's the same old FAI. This is really depressing times to be an Ireland supporter. The next few months playing out meaningless games with a manager who's going to get sacked instead of letting a new manager introduce their style of play and get used to the squad. Then we'll have to watch on as the playoffs for the Euros take place followed by the Euros itself. Then, going by this decision, the FAI will appoint another inept manager and we'll be back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Keeping King Ken on till the end of the campaign anyway. They probably haven't a clue about who to replace him with.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

Stephen Kenny's time as Ireland has come to an end and has to be viewed as a failure.

The bad news for him, as I see it, is that they failed to offer Vera Pauw a new contract despite qualifying for a major tournament. The mens senior team are now further away from qualifying then they were when he started. A sad indictment of his time in charge.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

I think the FAI 'reading the room', hoping those that have sympathy for Kenny buys them time. I have the feeling the FAI are looking to see which would be a popular choice for fans/media etc. Nothing to do with any candidates CV. Plus it will cost them money to sack Kenny another reason to keep him?

If the FAI were doing their job properly they would have a fella lined up a while ago for this likelihood anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

There is no "way it should be played". There's effective and there's less effective. That's it.

I have never understood this philosophy. I'd take a competitive team over an uncompetitive yet attractive team any day of the week.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement