Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jesse Marsch....Id be wondering what did I do in my life to have him foisted on me again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

thats simply not true. He played almost 300 games for Stoke. He was firmly in the starting 11. Limited as he was, he still hasn’t been replaced

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Pulis loved Whelan and any player Stoke brought in to compete with him for a place, Glen came out on top for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

This is actually true, but says a lot about Pulis' approach to the game. I believe Ben Foster tells a story/anecdote about Pulis and what he thought about t players trying to pass the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Amazing what some get away with on here and he gets 4 “thanks” for it.

• Advertisement

Frank Lampard? Alex McLeish? LOL

Actually Scott Parker? What a list that is

Glen did a great job for Ireland as well though, he was only missed when he wasn't there any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

And enquire if Brooklyn and Romeo Beckham have Irish grandparents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Whelan was a warrior for Ireland, had a fabulous International career.

Is there anyway to watch the FAI press conference this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'm not saying I want any of them, I'm just highlighting managers out there who the FAI would probably entertain the thought of.

They're hardly going to try and get Tite, Flick or Nagelsmann for example.

I don't see Lee Carsley giving up on the U21 role with England or Chris Hughton giving up on managing Ghana so there are limited ex players in management currently.

I don't think Brendan Rodgers would leave Celtic for the Irish job.

The experiment has failed with Stephen Kenny. His replacement though for now will be equally underwhelming and we should just be prepared for it like when Steve Staunton got the job! 😣

Staunton got the job it was purely John Delaney's personal choice. He was running the FAI like his personal fiefdom at the time, got rid of Kerr and downgraded to Staunton. There was a bit more money available at the time than now I think because of the state Delaney left the organisation in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I love how everyone keeps throwing this one out now because Stephen Kelly or whoever said it on the telly and they think it makes them look knowledgeable 😂

How do you know he didn’t see it and just decided to stick with the shape he was in? It was Dumfries who got in behind for the 2nd goal because McClean was having a nap. Wasn’t he the wing back in the first half anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

One big aspect of the Irish managers job that is unusual in the international game is that our manager has a much greater ability to scout and sign players than most contries. There are no transfer windows of course, but there are loads of players in the UK and elsewhere with Irish heritage.

Jason McAteer got slated for slagging off Stephen Kenny when he replaced Mick saying no players in England know who he is or will respect him. He maybe could have put it more diplomatically, but McAteer was essentially right.

Jack Charlton wasn't a great coach, but he was an England world cup winning legend and one of a small number of defenders ever to win player of the year in the English top flight. The equivalent in stature to a Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard today. Guys like Houghton and Aldridge wouldn't have played for us under Eoin Hand. I doubt Jack's training sessions or tactics were any more sophisticated than they were in the Hand era, but he managed to pull together a great squad for us. The players respected him.

Different era now of course, but we really need to keep all the talent we can together. Throw Rice and Grealish into the current squad and it would be transformational.

Lee Carsley strikes me as a reasonable compromise. Won't expect a massive salary like Lampard would, is probably a better coach than him, has great experience over the years playing for Ireland and has built up a good reputation amongst the up and coming players in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Actually, Santos has a very good record. Before his stint at Portugal, he reinvigorated Greece after Rehagel and brought them on. I'd imagine he has a decent grasp of English if he's been working abroad for a long time.

There's a suggestion that his tactics are defensive, though he was blessed with attacking players when he managed Portugal.

He'd be an interesting appointment but I think it'd be fairly unlikely.

Yeah the granny rule is an essential tool for a successful Irish managerial setup. To think otherwise is fantasy.

• Advertisement

Kenny to stay on through the New Zealand friendly in November, at which point the situation will be “reviewed”.

All I can say to that is Stephen Kenny is now going to get the media experience MON and Trapp had, going to be very difficult for him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Thanked your post.

what’s really going on here is that the “Kenny’s ingame tactics are deficient” narrative is suiting both sides of the Ireland debate.

it suits the Kenny Out people for obvious reasons but it also suits the “Ireland can play progressive football but it’s being let down by an out of his depth manager”. Many of the second group work in media.

basically it enables media to stick with the “Ireland can play football” narrative which is ultimately what’s important to them. It will allow them to still attack carsley if he gets the job and decides to play Dourball.

"Guys like Houghton and Aldridge wouldn't have played for Eoin Hand" Not so sure about that.

Things have changed. Back then there was plenty of English born players available pre Jack Charlton as well for Ireland like Lawrenson and Michael Robinson etc. These days with more immigration than emigration that well is drying up and any half decent player with Irish heritage that comes of age Gareth Southgate is going around like a sniffer dog ensuring that even if he doesn't use them for England they sure as hell won't be available to Ireland. He's doing the same with young English players that might declare for Scotland, Elliot Anderson is the latest. These days we're more likely to get players form the kids of immigrants. Trigger McAteer was just talking guff.

I think it's becoming increasingly less useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

There’s enough examples of it though.

This campaign he set up expecting to have Greece play a certain way and they didn’t, and the team were beaten all over the park.

Against the Dutch they were set up quite well, but didn’t change at all when it was obvious the Dutch approach changed and was working for them.

Ive been supportive of Kenny’s reign but in the second major qualifiers it’s not good enough to be so one note with tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ElJaguar

Crazy Stuff. He should be sacked asap and a caretaker appointed for the 3 remaining group games.

I don’t agree with the idea that this point is overblown or irrelevant, like the post you responded to does.

But there’s definitely a truth to the idea that the media core who tried to feed discontent on Trapp and MON’s general tactical approach may find some convenience now in Kenny being shown up in two qualifiers by such luminaries of the game as Ronald Koeman and Gus Poyet.

You can feel the fear from certain quarters of an experienced manager coming in, assessing the available playing pool, and drawing the same conclusion that Trapp, MON and Mick (who played it differently during his first stint with a different playing pool) did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Another contract, or just the remaining three games?

I particularly like the bit where Dunphy was going on about 'Wes' and Trapattoni etc.

But Giles said Trapattoni qualified for a tournament, - "You can only qualify for one tournament at a time Eamon." 😂

Even Giles and Dunphy said that Stephen Kenny has to at least beat the teams he should be beating.

Dunphy repeated time and again that the current Irish players are 'journeymen'. I can't remember him saying that about an Ireland squad before.

But I went through the side Kenny named v the Dutch and the a few who would have played if fit/selected -

English Premier League - O'Shea, Coleman*, Egan, Doherty, Ogbene, Cullen, Ferguson*, Obafemi, Kelleher (9)

English Championship - Bazunu, Duffy, Browne, Knight, Idah, Smallbone, Armstrong, Manning, Hendrick, Molumby, W. Keane*, Coventry*, Robinson* (13)

English League Two - McClean

Serie A - Ebosele

SPL - McGrath

It does not THAT bad - a core of a higher English championship type side or Lower Premier League.

It made me think is this current Kenny ROI squad worse than NI who qualified for Euro 2016?

--

So I looked at the NI team that qualified for Euro 2016 for a bit of contrast.

A team which lost 1-0 to Germany. (which was real backs to the wall) not one for the 'purists'

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1035167/Live/International-European-Championship-2016-Northern-Ireland-Germany

Also beat Ukraine 2-0 and lost to Poland 1-0 - narrowly making the knock outs of a tournament proper

At that time:

English Premier League - McGovern, Cathcart, McAuley, Davis, J.Evans (5)

English Championship - McGovern, Lafferty, Dallas, Norwood, C.Evans, Ward, Baird (7)

League One - McLaughlin, McCullough, Grigg (3)

League Two - Carroll

SPL - McGinn, Magennis, Mannus (3)

A-League - Hughes

--

So it looks to me that the current ROI 2023 squad is at least a better squad on paper than NI was in 2016.

And although Will Grigg was "on fire" I don't think he even started much!

--

Looking at the Martin O'Neill ROI team from 2016 to see how much 'better' it was to both NI 2016 and ROi 2023, should be interesting just as an overview

English Premier League - Coleman, Clark, O'Shea, Whelan, McCarthy, Hoolahan, Long, Walters, Ward, Given, Brady, Randolph, (12)

English Championship - Westwood, Keogh, McGeady, Duffy, Hendrick, Meyler, Murphy, Christie, Quinn (9)

MLS - R. Keane

Overall midtable to lower type English PL,  to higher English Championship I would say?

--

So I would argue that it is more how the players are structured moulded and managed. Rather than the players themselves. A manager can make a big difference to a side.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It’s absolutely bizarre and woeful decision making. There will be an absolute media circus around the next window now, and the the lad on the speakers is going to need to be lightning quick off the draw if we don’t beat Greece.

• Advertisement

If you want a new shirt sponsor lads, you really need to win a few games

Is this official? Daft stuff.

For his own good and his own future it would be so much better to cut loose with him now. It's going to be ridiculous for him to stand there giving pre match talks to players who know he's a dead man walking. Appoint a caretaker or whatever if they can't get a new manager in time. Ridiculous decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Official: Kenny has 4 more games, this campaign and the friendly against New Zealand.

Ah yeah it’s awful.

Honestly lads, the worst aspect of Stephen Kenny being manager is it is distracting attention away from the new FAI.

No shirt sponsor, very poorly handled tournament prep and dismissal of the Women’s manager, and now a lack of balls to relieve Kenny of his responsibilities. Delaney may be gone, but are his replacements competent?

It’s depressing to see how many people actively hate a man so much that they blame him for literally everything.

Cant get a sponsor? That’s Kenny’s fault. Granny rule? Not while Kenny’s there. More difficult to qualify for the next tournament too somehow, even though we’ll be seeded just the same.

Like, we all agree he should go. But repeatedly looking for reasons to stick the boot in is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Its clearly coming down to money and a lack of planning by the FAI in my opinion. They dont have a pot to piss in, we cant qualify so why waste 100-200k in a pay out. I can understand that position. They cant on the one hand have the begging bowl out to government for funding for facilities while on the other hand wasting money for no real reason.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

@LuckyLloyd Apologies! I thought you were guessing, not reporting the actual decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The FAI is RTE only without the license fee. No idea what can be done.

Don't think I'll see a well run football association and league in my lifetime On this island sadly.

I don't "hate" Stephen Kenny and the crowd as yet haven't turned on him. There was a lot of goodwill towards him but it's time to go.

This is a ridiculous decision, really stupid. They're saying he gets another 4 games and then a review. If they try to renew his contract it will get nasty. It probably will get nasty over the next 4 games. Stupid stuff from the FAI.

There’s not a hope he gets his contract renewed.

I guess they haven’t managed to sort a replacement so will let him finish out his contract.

Everyone thinks it’s the correct call. But him staying for a few more games makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things - and if the FAI can end up with their preferred target this way then fine.

They have to pay him what he's due. It serves no purpose to keep a lame duck manager hanging around for another 4 games. Do a deal with him pay him off and appoint the U21 guy to pick the team until they get a new manager. If they don't have enough money to conduct that sort of business then they might as well pack it in entirely.

This is ridiculous stuff that will unravel into an horrendous and embarrassing mess. It will also prove to be a costly mess to try to fix afterwards. They are not saving money by doing this. They're just turning the thing into a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

We’re playing a wing back based system because we have loads of centre halves not because we have good wing backs. Our wing backs are not good. Playing a wing back system with poor wing backs is crazy.

we are playing it through the midfield completely because this is the managers’ philosophy not because we have players capable of playing through the midfield.

we have got players who could suit a kick and rush style of play in terms of pressing the opponent in their own half. Molumby, Browne, knight, ogbene all have legs to press the opponent and force mistakes and win set pieces. Our good play vs the Dutch came through this approach not through creative passing.

there is a debate to be had that right now passing in the middle is a skill beyond our players’ capability. This is not a debate you will hear much of on second captains or OTB. They’re going with we can play football, we have the players.

virgin media might be more open to embracing pragmatism.

Him staying for a few more games just makes it more messy and could turn nasty. They should just let him go now. Put in a caretaker for the few games if needed. This "decision" to let him stay around for another few games is an awful call that at best will go out with a whimper and could get embarrassing and unseemly.

What a clownshoe of an operation the FAI are.

How will it be costly afterwards?

Sack Kenny - they have to pay him off.

Hire Interim - Needs to be paid, even if its an FAI employee, their pay would have to be upped.

Many many managers just see out their contracts. I think let him see it out, say thanks and goodbye in November and then go looking. Carsley may well be interested but its possible he has said he wont come in till the new year. The FAI do not have any money and cannot be seen to be pissing it away.

Crawford would have even less authority than Kenny

It’s never a waste of money to relieve an incompetent person from their responsibilities. Those are normal operational costs, the price of doing business as it were.

This decision creates a negative circus around the team for the forthcoming games, and that isn’t fair to anyone. It will leave a bad taste in the mouth for all concerned.

Well Sadlier, Delaney and Didi are over the parapet now. The OTB and SC lads are going to fine it very difficult to hold the line from here. Actual football people are starting to call out the simple deficiencies with our approach, and once they start down that track they won’t be stopped.

They won't be saving money by doing this is more what I mean. Could affect the attendance for the remaining two home games.

They need to move on. Appoint a caretaker if needed and then get funding to appoint as good a replacement as they can and get the sponsorship etc. on board and sorted out.

It's the wrong call. If they're not renewing his contract, cut loose now. Instead it's just more limbo stuff with the national team limping on from game to game with no direction or momentum.

But there isnt really a limbo, they basically said they will review in November and when asked would Kenny be in charge of a potential playoff they basically said no. So reading between the lines is he will be gone in November when his contract is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He did struggle to make sqauds for while.

He was destroyed in Euro 12 and our most famous victories like Germany and Italy where he did not start and Austria away when he was taken off early we got better results in general.

I answered that when Breezy above asked the same question. post 18554.

It serves no purpose to have him there hanging around for another 4 games. The FAI dragging the arse out of it can only make it worse.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement