Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

I was just off the phone with Energia, currently on d/n meter, best they offered was 15% off, so from October 3rd would be 38.35/18.40 inc vat, i declined to renew at this time.

Energia have a smart drive tarrif, which has 4 hours of night charging 2am to 6am, which might suit me, 36.61/8.16 incl vat from October 3rd.

Energia standing charge is €100 less than Flogas, @ €294.40 per annum inc vat

But, i asked about lead time on a change to a day/night compatible smart meter, and they said 4 to 5 months wait ! Which i queried as sounding excessive, but they reconfirmed that was the current delay, as advised to them by ESB networks, doesen't sound right to me.

are others seeing this kind of delay also with getting moved to a smart meter, with day/night capability?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Im just looking at this option now as well. Im out of contract now so want to sort out a contract in the next couple of days. The only issue for me is that I have a heat pump that runs at approx 3kw, an EV that charges at 7kw and a 10kwh dyness battery and Im wondering can I run all these together with other household equipment on a 63amp fuse.

I suppose more specifically I looking to confirm the max kwh charging rate of these batteries (I know I should be able to work this out but for some unknown reason electricity melts my brain😩)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Not sure what ev charger you use, but my one, reduces down the EV charging power automatically, if there are other heavy usage loads in use, at the same time, such as my heat pump is heating rads + heating water, and or washing machine etc.

It has never been an issue for me, but good to see it is there, and have seen it working. House usage is always prioritised.

Ive a zappi v1 but its starting to give bother so I may have to change it soon. Tbh Im not sure if it load balances on the fast charge setting. I know it does on the eco+ setting. My concern is that on many nights I need it to charge at max rate in order to have sufficient range for the day ahead.

Looking at rates, the EV plan would save me approx €1000 over current 15% discount rate if all my night use was within the 4 hour window, but reduce to €250 if 1kw used outside window, which would probably regularly happen during winter months. May not be worth the uncertainty at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The rate outside the EV charging time is lethal

They used to have the plan with 4 different times (day, night, peak and EV) so if you ended up using electricity outside that time it wasn't a total disaster

The "night" rate was still something like 25c though, not exactly fantastic value

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Its approx the same as the day rate under the std D/N contract. Its not 2 bad though, eg if 10kwh are consumed outside the window amd say 30 within (which wouldnt be excessive for me during winter) then the blended night rate would be 17.5 cent which is currently better than the Energia 15% rate of 19.8 cent

For everyone working out their bills after the upcoming price cuts, remember to factor in the PSO levy will be going UP to €0 from an approximate €12 refund every month

Something to keep in mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

MyEnergi have been providing discounted Zappi v2's for v1 owners. See the Zappi thread, or give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just to note on anyone moving to energia remember they have a really low fair use limit and the rate increases after that

Is that just for the Smart EV plan? The rate doesn't increase that much over the 1,000kWh per billing cycle, think it goes up by around 1c/kWh

• Advertisement

Not sure how it's 'really low" - it's 1000kWh which you'd reach by pulling the max (I e. 7.2kW) for the entire 4 hour window for 34 days of the 60 in the billing cycle. And even if you do go over it, it's only another cent or so per kWh.

It's low because ELM is charging 2 EVs and his house battery in that window 😁

Even still, there's probably only 3 months of the year where it's likely a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭this.lad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Hi all, my energia contract is coming to and end soon. Just looked at my bills and shocked to discover that we've been charged 48c a unit for the best of a year.

We had signed up to their EV tariff which was advertised as having a fixed cost of 33c day rate and 9c night rate. I know many other people on here signed up to the same plan - it was a good deal at the time. My understanding of "fixed" was that the advertised rates would not change over the lifetime of the contract. Apart from our very first bill however, this has not been the case.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have I somehow gotten the wrong end of the stick or have they pulled a fast one here?

Were you on a day night meter before signing up? If you aren't then your supplier will just sign you up to a 24 hour tariff without telling you

If you look at the readings in your bill then you'll either see day/night or 24 hour

I had to swap out a smart meter and put in a day/night meter to avail of Energia's EV tariff at the time

What meter type is on your bill? It should be MCC2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

PrePay to cut prices now. Come on Bord Gais…

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am trying to remember back to this time last year. I think Energia did change from 1 year contract at fixed price to fixed discount at some stage but not sure when. Check your original contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

Recently signed on with Flogas on the 24hr rate 0.27510 (BWG Special).

Trying to get a grip on now, if with other providers reductions if there is better value out there worth breaking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

For anyone looking to switch the a day/night meter they're still doing it now with her old meter. I requested a change of meter from Flogas last week and they're putting in the day/night meter as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My 28/8 Energia deal expired at midnight so I’m trying to figure out where to go rather than get rogered staying on Energia’s standard rate (53/25, shudder) for too long.

Half regretting not paying the 50€ to jump to that Flogas rate that hasn’t come back last month.

I'm on the day/night equivalent deal

At the moment, it's still the best deal if you still have a fair bit of daytime usage. Even after reductions the rates are still higher

If you have a huge home battery and 2 EVs then it's worth looking at the smart plans

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Fcukers, I'm still waiting... Esbn told me categorically they would not give me the old type meter, unbelievable what goes on in this country 🤬🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Update on Flogas Community Deal

Was on Energia ev rate ( the 8c one)

Was in last month of contract and flo gas community offer was posted here.

Even with the €50 penalty flogas was €750 a year better so I jumped.

After initial silence and only one email I was prompted to set up an online account.

This works well and I got my first bill today -

prices 0.135 night

day 0.306

Energia’s retention team dismissed the community and BWG deals as fairy tale and used the €50 as a stick.

Flo gas have been great to deal with and the switch was easy- thanks to all who gave such good advice and info.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

To be fair now if you've been on a different rate for a whole year thats back on you to at least look at your bill each month? 1 or 2 bills I could see how it could happen if you weren't paying attention. 6 bills in a year ....

Advertisement