Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girl in work I fancy....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

Did someone just drag you in from the the street and say ‘you’ll be grand in HR’ or are you actually a trained HR professional? If you are trained, did you fall off your bike and hit your head recently? This has to be trolling as I find it incredible that any trained HR professional would even remotely consider this as being in anyway appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Seriously, give the guy a break ffs. He comes on here already stating that he already thinks it's a bad idea and is looking for opinions, and people go to town on him for being either a pervert or an incompetent fool...like WTF.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

@bobbyD1978 I've deleted your posts as not one of them was offering advice to the OP, which is a requirement in PI/RI. Simply replying to others without offering the OP advice is a breach of the charter for this forum. If you have advice of your own to give then you are welcome to do so in line with the Charter.

thanks

HS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Not once does he mention her social media yet you conjure it out of nowhere and allude to him tracking her down on a dating app! The first time I used POF I came across about 10 Women I knew, get with the times and relax with the accusations.

Go to the head of HR and ask them for the companies policy on it, tell them its on an app and not in person and see what they say, you can't get in trouble for asking a question.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

He is HR 😂😂😂😂

He should be well aware of the policy.

The office will probably have a holloween event or else Christmas, wait until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

would not do that.

Just bump into her at the photocopier, if it works, lol,

chat to her in person, don't mind those apps....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The simple fact that you work together means you should not like her via the app. That comes across a bit creepy.

If you want to ask her out then do it face to face but if she is a new starter then at least give it some time before you stop being her point of contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

I met my wife in work… however, I was not a point of contact for her representing the company at the time.

I know he's HR but he's not the head of HR and sounds to me like he may only be in a junior position and still learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

it seems that the replies here swing from the app piece a bit creepy ( Even though they are both on the same app for the same purpose) or person works in HR that's a no no.

From experience my partner of 13 years wife of 5 worked in HR in the same company as myself when we first got together , we chatted properly via FB messenger which unlike the other app isnt specifically for dating as we knew from our interactions there was something there. Our work positions either never came into the equation because unlike some people in office we worked in we don't really care about this stuff as we are adults.

So the real question that anyone should be asking the OP is does it feel natural when they are talking away and why is he using an app instead of just asking someone out in person?

Post edited by recyclops on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats just a polite way of saying that he doesn't know his own job.

There is a reason everybody finds it bizarre that somebody claiming to be a HR rep is asking this question.

Long story short, no you should never swipe right on a girl at your workplace. And hell no a HR rep should not be chasing a new girl that just joined the company. It is dumb behaviour both personally and professionally.

I work in Construction admin and I can tell you there are senior managers who don't know things and look for answers from others it can happen, I do find it bizarre don't get me wrong but in a previous job (Multi national like OP) one of the girls in HR was seeing my co worker, she just wasn't allowed to be involved with him on a professional level and they both had to sign an agreement. I've also seen what happens at xmas parties....It all goes out the window.

As you say, she wasn't allowed to be involved with him on a professional level, something that the OP does claim to be with this employee.

And while nobody knows everything and even senior management need advice sometimes, this is rather a fundamental thing for a HR rep to be asking about. Don't compromise the company is pretty much day one material in HR, inappropriate conduct between employees is one of the major reasons for having HR personnel in the first place. Its why few people believe this is genuine.

A large multi national will have multiple HR staff, if he seeks advice from senior HR they can easily remove him as point of contact, its really not that hard or complicated.

If they find out he is romantically chasing the new starters he is supposed to be responsible for they will remove him alright. From the company.

• Advertisement

Not if he asks his own manager first like I said before.....They can't reprimand him for asking a question.

So your advice is for him to go and ask his boss if he can pursue the girl who just joined the company and who he was supposed to be responsible for?

Because any competent head of HR is going to be absolutely horrified that one of his/her staff even thinks for one minute that any of this is a good idea. And will definitely start to doubt that their staff member knows what his role is supposed to be.

The role of HR is to protect the company against risk. Here we have a HR rep who is opening the company up to risk. That is not likely to end well.

Advertisement