Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Aircraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Thanks, I don't work airside so I have no idea that that was a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

As usual we use equipment to it is close to being clapped out, to an extent it shows the amazing value for money the DF across all arms provide on a shoestring…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭roadmaster

An just to make sure the AW139s are used for everything posabile they also delivered building materials in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭tippilot

Try as I might I'm still not seeing the connection between a portable AC External Power substitute and airframe life. (BTW It's not a traditional starter unit - they use compressed air)

This seems a very prudent piece of kit to prevent excessive battery wear for in-the-field operations, without access to a Ground Power Unit. Using something like this has zero to do with airframe life. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭sparky42

Photos on Twitter suggest our first CASA might be at the Paris air show:

https://twitter.com/Michaelkelly707/status/1670511097353256961

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Yes, that's the first one for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bollox to air shows, get it over here and get it in service, it's already taken an eon ffs. Airbus must have a demo model someplace else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

If ya look at the 211 to the rear of the fuselage.... are they not the colours of the Spanish flag peeping out?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭mupper2

Yes, but the national flag is on the tail. This is one of ours.

• Advertisement

All Airbus / CASA models fly under a Spanish flag, for flight testing and ferry movements, until customer handover.

Any word on the new AGS aircraft tender award.

I don't think the tender has taken place yet. What was published by AGS last December was a PIN, a prior information notice which is sent out publically and to industry to advise them that a competition is coming and that they should ensure they are on top of the official notice channels.

It is basically an exercise to avoid some legal actions by unsuccessful tenderers down the line and also to attract maximum industry participation.

Whenever the Tender proper does issue, it'll be 12 to 18 months before an notice of intent to award will be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Can i ask what the air corp helicopters are for ?

Alright scheduled transporting of building materials off shore might be a bit much ,

But other than that those are general purpose workhorses .. they're purchased to work , if they shouldnt be hauling a bambi bucket then so be it -

I dont have a problem with the dept of defence billing relevant departments or entities for work done ,( especially if a share of the money goes to a maintenance fund , )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The Air Corps and the rest of the Defence Forces are centrally funded and to my knowledge don't bill other bodies for any support provided. Moving money around between the different arms of the State is bureaucratic and doesn't achieve anything in net terms, so is generally avoided.

They do do all that, but their primary role is Army operational support and training and the movement of troops and equipment, within the State.

They also undertake designated security duties, such as border patrol and ATCP taskings as required.

They would also work with the Naval Service on joint interoperability exercises. Who knows, one day maybe we'll even have a ship they can land on again.

I didnt reliese it was only a PIN so its a long way out yet. From a european manufacturing side lockhead are probably the only onesthat could offer a package instead of two seperate offers by offereinh a polish built S70 and a Skytruck. It will be interesting to see what the market comes back with.

Two separate PINs were issued for the choppers and for the plane.

There will be no obligation to submit a package tender for both aircraft types as that would be restrictive practice and illegal under EU procurement law.

And so the procurement of either, is fully independent of the other.

• Advertisement

Not too mention the actual transport version as limited as it is…

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

NH-90 is absolute garbage of a helo.... looks nice though

I haven't been able to read the Times article as it's behind a pay wall. But I understood that the AC had 3 PC12 NG planes which were able to perform some ISTAR roles as well as transport of personnel in smaller numbers.

The relevant bits from the article (I used my last free view for you)

Ireland is going to widen the number of tasks in which it participates in the Nato-led Partnership for Peace from 15 to 22.

The Cabinet on Wednesday approved seven new areas in which Ireland will participate in Partnership for Peace programmes between 2024 and 2028.

The new tasks will include operations in intelligence, cyber security and air evacuations.

The proposal was brought to Cabinet on Wednesday by the Tánaiste, and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Defence, Micheál Martin. He told colleagues that Ireland would particularly focus on cyber security.

At present, Defence Forces personnel participate in 25 tasks spanning maritime, air and general capabilities. They take part in programmes that improve interoperability and have also fully participated in joint peace operations.

In terms of air evacuation, the Defence Forces now have two Casa CE95 aircraft that have airlift capabilities to allow for medical evacuation.

Ireland’s participation in Partnership for Peace has become a point of contention politically in the past year following the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Some Opposition parties and anti-war groups have asserted that the Government is diluting Ireland’s traditional policy of military neutrality.

Ireland joined the Partnership for Peace framework in 1999 and insists it operates within that framework on the basis of its military neutrality.

Thanks for posting that Doh. I've often wondered what tasks them PC12's get up to on a day to day basis.

T'would make an interesting topic on the DF website IMO.

Speaking of all this I saw a big auld C-17 Globemaster on final to the Don over the M50 on Monday.

That cooperation agreement on air evacuations sure does yield quick results!

Have things got so bad there that we have to evacuate?😂

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

they were close enough with the type and day

• Advertisement

A Belgian A400 was in for a quick visit the other day aswell

Advertisement